Ottawa to Rankin Inlet

I've been hired to ferry a few passengers from Ottawa-Carp (CYRP) which is the closest field to my home up to Rankin Inlet. It's a 6+ hour flight, so I've told my passengers to get comfortable.

Even before takeoff, I had to de-ice my windshield.

2-22-2021-9-01.jpg

Lined up.

2-22-2021-9-09.jpg

Getting out wasn't easy as I was still having icing issues, but after a minute or I turned to follow the course.

2-22-2021-9-30.jpg

At 20,000 feet, I was just above the clouds.

Whoops, clicked submit before I meant to. Well, not much to see for the next few hours.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Though the map said I could make it in one trip, reality said something different, and after a few hundred miles I was running on fumes, so I diverted to Moosonee (CYMO) to top up.

2-22-2021-10-12.jpg

2-22-2021-10-14.jpg

So I set up for a second leg to go from Moosonee to Churchill (CYYQ.) It's 600+ miles without a lot of places to go in case of emergencies.

2-22-2021-11-13.jpg

The weather is a bit better, I was hoping the somewhat better weather would help, but icing started again shortly after takeoff. It didn't last long though, and that allowed me to climb out quite nicely.

2-22-2021-11-19.jpg

Edited by andyjohnston

I was afraid it would happen.

About 100 miles out from Churchill, the last of my fuel was used up and the engines died. I happened to be over the water at the time, and the GPS showed about equal distances to land in any direction.

I descended for a while, but then my instruments all cut out as well, leaving me hoping for the best.

When I figured all was lost, I broke out of the clouds. In the distance was the shoreline, but I had no chance of reaching it. Out of pure luck, there were a few small islands in front of me, and I set up to land.

2-22-2021-12-51.jpg

With no instruments, no flaps and no landing gear, I managed a belly landing, and skidded into the water. Me and my passengers clambered for the shore. Everyone is okay, now we just have to get to safety. Let's hope there's so cell reception around here!

We were rescued by boat and made our way to the nearest airfield, CYRN. It's listed as being...Rankin Inlet, same as our destination. So I looked it up, seems that airport doesn't exist...

Oh well.

I had to rent another aircraft, at my own expense. Hopefully this one has enough to get us to the destination, we'll be over the water with no where to divert to.

2-22-2021-15-30.jpg

Wow Andy - nice shots and what an adventure! Great job getting the airplane down right side up from being in clouds without instruments and finding those islands. I hope your passengers appreciate your skill and dedication to getting them to their destination! :pilot:

Slid into the water. An honored Peerhoven graduate! Great set of shots as well :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]