Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flap position at start

Thanks everyone.

Actually the 'penny dropped' last night after posting this and I wondered if my 'realism' settings might have an effect but didn't have time to check (yes the wheel is spinning but the hamster is NOT dead ).

I haven't used the 172 preferring twin as in the Beechcraft King Air.

Also had not noticed that the (elevator) trim was preset to takeoff position. That would account for the reason why the Beechcraft takes off by itself after I give 'two clicks' for trim UP which would be 'overkill' (should have checked the trim setting on the panel )
    John
    Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666
    Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD
    Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Quote Originally Posted by KiloWatt View Post
    Correct. However, in my flightschool in the early 2000's we used flaps 10 on takeoff at the local airfield...so there is some precedent to use it.
    I do quite specifically state `under normal circumstances`.
    Obviously yours were abnormal.
    There is no requirement to use flaps for a 172 under normal circumstances.

If you would like to tell us what your abnormal circumstances were?.

I used to use flaps when doing a `soft field`take off, for example. There may also be justification for shorter fields or crosswind.
    What I found is that there was/is a far greater requirement to manage trim properly. That may/may not be relevant in this new sim.

This seems to be a per-aircraft property and can be overridden by mods. For example, I have the community 152 mod and it no longer spawns on the runway with any flaps.

I thought perhaps that somewhere in SETTINGS could be the place to prevent flaps being automatically extended but NO there doesn't seem to be anywhere to prevent it.

Since some more learned people that me have stated that on the 172 flaps are normally not required (unless short runway etc) then why isn't it left up to the pilot to make the decision.

FSX used to be advertised as "as real as it gets". Sorry but FS2020 doesn't seem to be 'as real as it gets' !!!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jparnold View Post
    why isn't it left up to the pilot to make the decision.
    It is left up to the pilot.
    If you don't want to take off with flaps, then retract the flaps.
    If you want realism then start using a takeoff checklist.
    i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

I thought perhaps that somewhere in SETTINGS could be the place to prevent flaps being automatically extended but NO there doesn't seem to be anywhere to prevent it.

Since some more learned people that me have stated that on the 172 flaps are normally not required (unless short runway etc) then why isn't it left up to the pilot to make the decision.

FSX used to be advertised as "as real as it gets". Sorry but FS2020 doesn't seem to be 'as real as it gets' !!!
    Also not sure I get your frustration here. A real pilot is checking the flaps before take-off, so this isn't a real world issue at all no matter where the flaps are set when you "get into the plane." You would always be checking the flaps, every single time.

You should try out the Microsoft checklist that's built into the sim. The one for the Cessna 172 is one of the best ones Microsoft has, compared to other planes (as I understand it).
    Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

You are both very correct (use the check list). I sometimes forget

I guess that the preconfiguring of the aircraft (both flaps and trim) would be done by the pilot before entering the runway which is done for the pilot in 2020 HOWEVER these preconfigured settings for the Beechcraft King Air results in the aircraft taking off with NO (backwards) pressure on the yoke. In real life would a pilot set flaps and trim to a degree which results in the aircraft taking off by itself? I don't know as I am only learning. The trim setting should take into consideration the CoG of the aircraft and I don't know how to calculate this for the King Air. There is a calculator at http://www.willingtons.com/aircraft_...vity_calcu.htm however I don't know where to get the various input values from.
    John

preconfigured settings for the Beechcraft King Air results in the aircraft taking off with NO (backwards) pressure on the yoke.
    What you are speaking to here is elevator trim which is another checklist item and a very important one. Elevator trim is supposed to be set to neutral so that backpressure is needed, but pilot preferences may alter that a bit.

In the real world, aircraft loading affects elevator trim; having people in the back seat changes the trim equation. We don't much take that into account here in the sim world.
    i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Thanks.

There seems to be a certain latitude as to exactly where to set the trim within the boundaries of the 'take off' position to prevent the aircraft taking off with no yoke input as I had to set the trim to the very end of that area (almost 'nose down' area). Maybe some of the other larger prop aircraft (eg Cessna 208 Caravan) perform differently. That would be a new learning curve for me (cockpit orientation).
    That's where I'm 'heading' now. I just remembered that my nephew (real pilot) flies the 208 often so I must ask him next time I see him.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by roypaglia View Post
    To change aircraft. Esc, General, Developer On, In the top left there is now a menu. Go to Windows and there in the drop down is Aircraft Select. When you have changed the aircraft and you want to get rid of the menu, just click Esc and in General turn developer off.
    Thanks but totally MESSY.
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12