VR with HP Reverb G2 is amazing!

First - VR is insane! I had no idea how awesome this is. I have an i9-10900k, 2080TI, 64GB ram and an Ethernet cable. I can run the Reverb G2 at 120 render scaling (even higher depending on the area) and many sliders at high or ultra (including volumetric clouds, buildings, water) with a very good experience - FPS > 20 even in dense areas like NYC. It’s literally “brain tricking” real and now my preferred way to use the sim. I wear glasses and it’s not an issue, though I did order the prescription lenses. All cockpits are very clear with easy to read dials. Mouse works well as does my saitek yoke and panels. Others have commented about how amazing this is...and I’ll just add that I agree!

Now my question - the only limitation I have is clarity at a distance - it does appear blurry far off - both the ground and clouds. Also - short draw distance - buildings loading in the foreground - I can’t figure out how to make scenery load farther ahead? Not sure if others have experienced these issues and if there are solutions?

Neither of these issues stop me from recommending this experience, it’s really incredible!

I agree it's amazing!

I can't answer your technical questions but did want to suggest if you don't know already that right-clicking with your mouse will zoom in whatever you are looking at. This helps with the dials and reading small data items on your dashboard.

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

I agree it's amazing!

I have to say I'm afraid I'd be so amazed, I'd never want to get "out" of the planes and my wife would divorce me.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I have to say I'm afraid I'd be so amazed, I'd never want to get "out" of the planes and my wife would divorce me.

For the sake of your marriage, there really are reasons not to get one right now. When you hear me say it's amazing, you're only hearing that about the flights where it properly works:

• I invested many hours figuring out how exactly to configure the Oculus to work with MSFS. The Steve Jobs principle of "it just works" is nowhere to be seen here. You can see from Microsoft's forums that there are people who owned their VR headsets for weeks or months and had just given up on MSFS, before discovering an obscure post sitting on the forum that happened to exactly describe the exact settings everything must be configured to for it to work.

• Once, in an effort to keep retooling the headset to be perfect, I screwed something up with the entire setup of my PC and I couldn't even use it, for any software applications. I literally had to re-install Windows and start over to reboot the PC as though I had just gotten it from the store.

• I have to reboot MSFS multiple times just to get one flight going with VR working correctly. If it was a short flight, that means I have to start all over, multiple reboots included, to get the next flight going.

• Mid-flight, I have had to change from VR to 2D because something went wrong with the headset. This happens maybe 15 to 20% of the time. I can't get too hooked to VR because the technology actually won't let me: 2D is less buggy and I often finish flights in 2D that started in VR.

• Long flights? I am not about to sit around for a few hours with a VR headset over my face. Yet, if I take the headset off, there's a risk that the VR session will get screwed up. I like to get my real-life work done with MSFS flying in the background, so for these times I am using 2D.

• The resolution is pretty darn good, but I feel like it could be much better. If I can one day see Ultra-settings graphics in VR with the same resolution I view in 2D, I might literally become hopelessly addicted and lose my marriage and all my friends. But it's not there yet.

My expectation is that 2021 will bring improvements to these and other issues, but who knows if that's true or not. And will there be a new VR headset produced by a company that beats out the top products out there right now (Oculus, and the G2), in 2021? Maybe. It's going to happen sooner or later.

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Hi Neil, I can’t say I’ve had many problems with my G2. It was actually quite simple to setup & despite me still having three 43” 4K TV’s setup... I no longer use them! Not to mention three Saitek panels & a multipanel. The panels still work of course, but of course I can’t actually see them because I’m wearing the headset LOL

I can’t ever see myself going back to using the three screens etc as VR is that good!

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Hi Neil, I can’t say I’ve had many problems with my G2. It was actually quite simple to setup & despite me still having three 43” 4K TV’s setup... I no longer use them! Not to mention three Saitek panels & a multipanel. The panels still work of course, but of course I can’t actually see them because I’m wearing the headset LOL

I can’t ever see myself going back to using the three screens etc as VR is that good!

Regards

Steve

Steve, if you persuade me to get a G2 after I've already purchased the Quest 2, I'll probably get divorced faster than Aptosflier. Maybe we newly divorced simmers can team up and join a flying club one day. ;)

Steve, if you persuade me to get a G2 after I've already purchased the Quest 2, I'll probably get divorced faster than Aptosflier. Maybe we newly divorced simmers can team up and join a flying club one day. ;)
a

LOL , sorry Neil

I like the idea of the flying club :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Thanks for the exhaustive explanation of potential VR complications/issues/whatever. I will stick with TrackIR for now.
HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5