Slew You

pdmike

My Slew feature isn't working 100%. I hit Y and "Slew" appears in the lower right of the screen, so that's good. But then not much else happens. I used to be able to twist the joystick handle to rotate the plane on its axis, in place. That doesn't work any more. I can't slew sideways or up and down.

And yes - I am flying FSX.

What's the fix for this, please?

Edited by pdmike

Slew controls differ from the normal flight controls.

You probably cleared them, and need to reassign.

Wim

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but I wanted to see if there might be an easier way to fix this. Guess not. Thanks - I'm off to reassign.

And right back again. As I anticipated, not so easy to reassign. First off, there are only three Slew commands listed in my Options/Controls section. Slew On/Off was already assigned the Y key. I knew that going in. The only other Slew commands available are Slew Right (Tilt) and Slew Left (Tilt). Where are the ones I really need, i.e., Slew Up, Slew Down, Slew Forward, Slew Back and Rotate?

Edited by pdmike

In my Standard.xml file for my rudder pedals:

Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals SLEW {5B5F8A70-D33D-11E2-8001-444553540000}

XAxis

AXIS_SLEW_SIDEWAYS_SET

YAxis

AXIS_SLEW_AHEAD_SET

RzAxis

AXIS_SLEW_HEADING_SET

SLEW_RESET

VIEW_MODE

SLEW_ALTIT_PLUS

SLEW_ALTIT_MINUS

SLEW_PITCH_PLUS

SLEW_PITCH_MINUS

SLEW_BANK_MINUS

SLEW_BANK_PLUS

SLEW_FREEZE

SLEW_RESET

PAN_VIEW

=====================================

And for my joystick:

Joystick - HOTAS Warthog SLEW {871032F0-1B8D-11E1-8001-444553540000}

XAxis

AXIS_SLEW_SIDEWAYS_SET

YAxis

AXIS_SLEW_AHEAD_SET

RxAxis

AXIS_SLEW_HEADING_SET

SLEW_RESET

VIEW_MODE

SLEW_ALTIT_PLUS

SLEW_ALTIT_MINUS

SLEW_PITCH_PLUS

SLEW_PITCH_MINUS

SLEW_BANK_MINUS

SLEW_BANK_PLUS

SLEW_FREEZE

SLEW_RESET

PAN_VIEW

That may not exactly give what you want, but it's something to work with.

I see the indentations don't take in this post, but they're strictly visual and don't affect the code itself.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I don't use rudder pedals. Does that make a difference?

It just means that you don't need the rudder entries. There should be keyboard keys to slew in yaw. And if all else fails, you can go into the Controls menu choices and set things individually, though that's tedious.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

It just means that you don't need the rudder entries. There should be keyboard keys to slew in yaw. And if all else fails, you can go into the Controls menu choices and set things individually, though that's tedious.

Not sure you read this in my post (#5) above.

" ...there are only three Slew commands listed in my Options/Controls section. Slew On/Off was already assigned the Y key. I knew that going in. The only other Slew commands available are Slew Right (Tilt) and Slew Left (Tilt). Where are the ones I really need, i.e., Slew Up, Slew Down, Slew Forward, Slew Back and Rotate?"

Those missing slew commands really should be in there, and they aren't. Until they are, I don't think there is much I can do. Any idea why they aren't in the Controls section or what I should do now?

Not sure you read this in my post (#5) above.

I did read that, which is why I posted the relevant contents of my Standard.XML file. That file contains what is assigned to controls and, on my system, is located in C:\Users\Larry\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls.

I figured that with those contents you could enter that in your Standard.XML file, with slight modifications to fit your system, saving a backup copy of the existing file, of course.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

In my Standard.xml file for my rudder pedals:

Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals SLEW {5B5F8A70-D33D-11E2-8001-444553540000}

XAxis

AXIS_SLEW_SIDEWAYS_SET

YAxis

AXIS_SLEW_AHEAD_SET

RzAxis

AXIS_SLEW_HEADING_SET

SLEW_RESET

VIEW_MODE

SLEW_ALTIT_PLUS

SLEW_ALTIT_MINUS

SLEW_PITCH_PLUS

SLEW_PITCH_MINUS

SLEW_BANK_MINUS

SLEW_BANK_PLUS

SLEW_FREEZE

SLEW_RESET

PAN_VIEW

=====================================

And for my joystick:

Joystick - HOTAS Warthog SLEW {871032F0-1B8D-11E1-8001-444553540000}

XAxis

AXIS_SLEW_SIDEWAYS_SET

YAxis

AXIS_SLEW_AHEAD_SET

RxAxis

AXIS_SLEW_HEADING_SET

SLEW_RESET

VIEW_MODE

SLEW_ALTIT_PLUS

SLEW_ALTIT_MINUS

SLEW_PITCH_PLUS

SLEW_PITCH_MINUS

SLEW_BANK_MINUS

SLEW_BANK_PLUS

SLEW_FREEZE

SLEW_RESET

PAN_VIEW

That may not exactly give what you want, but it's something to work with.

I see the indentations don't take in this post, but they're strictly visual and don't affect the code itself.

I have saved a copy of my existing Standard SME file in a separate directory on C drive. After some searching, I have located the section of my XME file that relates to the Joystick. (Since I don't use Rudder Pedals, I take it I can ignore the Rudder Pedals information you have sent here.)

My joystick (Logitech) is listed on the first line. I gather HOTAS Warthog is the name of your joystick so I will proceed with my joystick name rather than yours (obviously).

Thing is - I'm not sure what to do now. Should I replace all of the wording relative to my joystick in my XME file, with the wording you have provided to me? Should I ignore the Rudder Pedals data, since I don't use Rudder Pedals?

Here's what I have in my XME file relative to the joystick:

Logitech Extreme 3D{439EDA30-8B52-11E3-8001-444553540000}

XAxis

AXIS_AILERONS_SET

YAxis

AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET

RzAxis

AXIS_RUDDER_SET

Slider

AXIS_THROTTLE_SET

BRAKES

VIEW_MODE

ELEV_TRIM_DN

ELEV_TRIM_UP

RELEASE_DROPPABLE_OBJECTS

GEAR_TOGGLE

VIEW_MODE

GEAR_TOGGLE

FLAPS_DECR

FLAPS_INCR

PAN_VIEW

Logitech Extreme 3D SLEW {439EDA30-8B52-11E3-8001-444553540000}

XAxis

AXIS_SLEW_SIDEWAYS_SET

YAxis

AXIS_SLEW_AHEAD_SET

RzAxis

AXIS_SLEW_HEADING_SET

SLEW_RESET

VIEW_MODE

SLEW_ALTIT_PLUS

SLEW_ALTIT_MINUS

SLEW_PITCH_PLUS

SLEW_PITCH_MINUS

SLEW_BANK_MINUS

SLEW_BANK_PLUS

SLEW_FREEZE

SLEW_RESET

PAN_VIEW

Well, now it seems that all of my Slew commands work just fine from the KEYBOARD. But not from the joystick. ???

You were asked if you might have switched the joystick off? You haven't replied? If you have, switch it back on.

If not, check the Slew allocations assigned to the joystick.

I've used nothing but the keyboard to slew. I either use the NUM pad or the arrow keys. And the NUM pad operates in two ways, too. Pressing NUM Lock will allow for certain things while pressing NUM Lock again will allow for others. I don't remember which did which now.

I think your issue here is the joystick and its assignments. Out of curiosity, if you cycle the NUM Lock key and try your joystick, does that fix the issue?

If I remember right, I had this issue, but it was due to those pesky brakes. It's been a long time (years) but I seem to remember that keeping me from slewing. You wouldn't think so though. Or perhaps it was due to something else or just a one off I have yet to understand. What ever the case may be I had the issue in the past and managed to fix it.

Problem solved! Slew now works on both the Keyboard and the Joystick. I can slew in all directions, up, down, sideways and in your hat. Don't ask me why, all of a sudden, it started to work. It sure wasn't working before.

I suspect the Slew Gremlin saw us nosing around and decided to abandon his project. Anyway, all is good in the Slew Dept.

Thanks to all of you who pitched in here.