Learning about plane differences

I'm moving along nicely in the sim now, flying the Skyhawk pretty comfortably but will put in more hours to get a better hang and sense of airspeed, altitude and especially navigation and how to properly fly from point A to point B.

That said, I'd like to begin learning about the differences between flying a Skyhawk to that of a twin engine, or a cabin pressurized plane designed to operate at higher altitudes (I guess that would be turboprops?) and eventually jet. I know the principles of flight remain the same, but I'd venture to guess that flying more advanced aircraft = more difficult and requiring more skill.

How do I go about learning how to fly different types of planes?

Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

There are YouTube videos featuring most of the MSFS aircraft, from complete flights to just starting from cold and dark tutorials.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks, and while I'll certainly check them out, I'm more interested in reading about them. Videos aren't always useful to me as I happen to be deaf/hard-of-hearing and the subtitles on YouTube videos can be woefully terrible at times.
Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

My apologies - in that case the SoFly MSFS manual includes detailed information on each aircraft, it's available in the Flightsim Store: https://store.flightsim.com/product/sofly-a-guide-to-flight-simulator-msfs-2020/

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

My apologies - in that case the SoFly MSFS manual includes detailed information on each aircraft, it's available in the Flightsim Store: https://store.flightsim.com/product/sofly-a-guide-to-flight-simulator-msfs-2020/

Hmm, this might be what I'm looking for. Before I bite the bullet and buy it, it does explain the differences between the types of planes and how they fly and how to fly them? Does it also explain all the various settings and such in a plane and what each knob/button does and how/why? I'm not looking for a technical manual or anything, I just want simple answers so I understand why each function is important and what it does and how/when I use them.

Let me suggest that the Real Aviation Tutorials & FAQsection of the forums offers a lot of answers, though it may not get all of your questions. But, for example, the thread titled Piston Engine Operation will offer thoughts about mixture and prop usage, cowl flaps and altitude effects. And it's easy enough to answer further questions here, as well.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Let me suggest that the Real Aviation Tutorials & FAQsection of the forums offers a lot of answers, though it may not get all of your questions. But, for example, the thread titled Piston Engine Operation will offer thoughts about mixture and prop usage, cowl flaps and altitude effects. And it's easy enough to answer further questions here, as well.

Well, I went there and also wanted to look up the glossary but unfortunately it seems to be full of broken links. Nothing's popped up for me so far.

Let me suggest that moving from a single-engine airplane to a twin is a large step-up in emergency preparedness training. in addition to retractable gear and constant speed props (which you can learn in a Mooney, for example), you must also learn what to do when one of the engines quits. There will be adverse yaw (due to asymmetric thrust created by just one engine working) and new minimum speeds to learn (such as minimum single engine speed, below which you don't have enough rudder to correct the yaw). Plus identifying which engine quit, and whether it is the one with the most adverse yaw. Other than that, the only big difference is the speeds at which they fly, and the altitudes they can achieve.

You might try googling POH for the model plane you're interested in. POH is short for pilot's operating handbook. If you look, you can find a free pdf for just about any aircraft. Also, google flight review for the plane, and you can read about flying it in magazines such as Flying, AOPA Pilot, etc.

As for the speeds, I make an index card for each of the airplanes that I fly: on it I list clean and dirty stall speeds; best angle/rate of climb; maneuvering speed; gear/flaps speeds; and blue line speed for twins. Plus any quirks.

Cool beans and good luck.

Well, I went there and also wanted to look up the glossary but unfortunately it seems to be full of broken links. Nothing's popped up for me so far.

Sure 'nuff, the Glossary is broken -- guess I'll have to mention it to Nels, But did you try some of the other sections, those which don't depend on going to yet another link, such as the one I mentioned above: Piston Engine Operation ? Did you look at Basic Aircraft Control, or Speeds and Altitudes? Did you perhaps look at Miscellaneous and some others?

I'm sorry it hasn't been updated for a while, but the good information that is there is still useful, which is why I referred him to that section for the specific question he asked.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!