MSFS2020 for Xbox

I have recently purchased a new PC (see hardware section) and I am delighted with it so far. I have installed FSX on the HDD, together with PMDG 737 and 777 both running smoothly with virtually all settings maxed out, I am now ready to try MSFS2020 and would like your opinions. I have an SSD dedicated for MSFS2020.

I understand that it is available on Xbox and that I can get a trial month membership for PC for £1. I contemplated doing this to try out the sim first but I have some questions.

Are there any obvious problems doing this?

After the trial if I cancel the membership will I need to delete the sim from my PC, if so will this leave any remnants which could interfere with the installation of a purchased copy from MS?

Can I purchase a key for the installed Xbox copy to allow me to continue to run it?

Sorry for all the queries but I know nothing about Xbox. Looking forward to your thoughts

TerryB

Asus ROG STRIX B550, Ryzen 5800X, Gigabyte 3080 10GB, 16GB 3600DDR4, 2 x 500GB SSDs, 3TB HDD, Corsair 4000X case, 27" HP monitor

The first step is to clarify what exactly is being referred to by "Xbox". Originally it was just the name of Microsoft's game console, however, in recent years they have expanded the Xbox brand to cover all of their gaming products, including PC gaming.

One of the products is the Xbox Game Pass for PC subscription, with the $1 trial for the first month. Many have used this method to try out the sim first, and is a good option. If you like the sim and want to buy it outright, purchase it before cancelling the Game Pass subscription, and you shouldn't need to reinstall. When you purchase the sim, it will be tied to your Microsoft Account, so there won't be a game key to worry about. You will be able to reinstall by logging back into your account and downloading again.

If you do happen to have a Xbox console, buying the sim from MS will allow you run it on both your PC and the console.

Something to keep an out for is creating an Xbox gamertag (unfortunately I don't recall exactly where along the way this is done). This is the name used in all of Microsoft's games, especially for online multiplayer, and is separate from your Microsoft account user name. By default they will create a random one for you, but you can choose your own, or change it later. Some people miss this step and wonder why they have an odd name in the sim.

I have recently purchased a new PC (see hardware section) and I am delighted with it so far. I have installed FSX on the HDD, together with PMDG 737 and 777 both running smoothly with virtually all settings maxed out, I am now ready to try MSFS2020 and would like your opinions. I have an SSD dedicated for MSFS2020.

I understand that it is available on Xbox and that I can get a trial month membership for PC for £1. I contemplated doing this to try out the sim first but I have some questions.

Are there any obvious problems doing this?

After the trial if I cancel the membership will I need to delete the sim from my PC, if so will this leave any remnants which could interfere with the installation of a purchased copy from MS?

Can I purchase a key for the installed Xbox copy to allow me to continue to run it?

Sorry for all the queries but I know nothing about Xbox. Looking forward to your thoughts

it is not yet out on xbox, and it will only run on the latest ones, the series s /x.

if you have bought it via ms store for pc , the xbox version will run there too, its play anywhere.

with some luck it will arrive maybe this summer.

“C2D E 8400 @ 4.3MHz, Arctic Freezer 7 Pro, 2x2Gb Corsair XMS2, XFX GTX 260, 1Tb Samsung spinpoint, Antec 300, Iiyama 24" HD”

Hi Terry, the £1 game pass is an excellent way to try it.. especially if you aren’t sure if it’ll run.

Personally, I don’t think it will run in your current pc (sorry)

The pc might be new to you but unfortunately I don’t think the parts inside are. The CPU & GPU for example, were first made over 10 years ago.. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Hope it wasn’t one of these “gaming machines” on eBay, often sold from the Manchester area.

It’s never a good idea to attempt running flight sim on the MINIMUM specs, & unfortunately yours doesn’t even meet the minimum requiremts.

I’m not sure about your processor but you only have 4gb of ram (you need 8gb minimum) and your GTX260 won’t manage it (minimum is GTX 770)

If you can’t upgrade your pc & still want to try it just in case.. the pay £1 - at least you’re not going to lose much.

If you’re happy with FSX then I’d stick with that for the time being. The new sim is fantastic though.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Thank you loki and g7rta, that is the answer I was hoping for. I will probably sign up to 1 month game pass for PC to try it.

g7rta, sorry I have mislead you regarding my computer specs. Included in the signature is a PC I built in 2009 for FSX, which has given sterling service over the years. I will change my signature to reflect my new PC spec!

TerryB

Asus ROG STRIX B550, Ryzen 5800X, Gigabyte 3080 10GB, 16GB 3600DDR4, 2 x 500GB SSDs, 3TB HDD, Corsair 4000X case, 27" HP monitor

No worries,

Yes, that one is more like it :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

• 2 weeks later...

I signed up to the £1 trial on Xbox PC game pass. The sim downloaded in just under 8 hours (148 GB) and runs very smoothly with frame rates set at 60fps. Most settings are still as they were on download, mainly on 'High End'. I have also downloaded an update, which was notified on start up yesterday and also the UK & Ireland update.

I am very impressed by the scenery quality, which seems to stream very well with no stutters so far. I have tried a couple of the default aircraft and just flown around the EGCC, EGGP, EGNM and EGNH areas which are local to me.

My max CPU core temp has reached 75C and the max GPU usage is 75% so far. I am sure things will change when more complex aircraft are available. In the meantime I will fly the PMDG aircraft in FSX.

I intend to purchase the sim before my month's trial is ended. It looks like I will need to put in a lot of time to learn the systems and try various settings until I am completely happy with MSFS2020 but I am looking forward to that!

TerryB