Do you do "full" flights , or just take offs, climbs then landings.

Cas141

Hi

How many airliner pilots fly the full journey?

I suspect most, like me, cut out the cruise bit.

I take off, climb out to cruise.

Then I short cut to just before descent begins, and then land.

Maybe some use time X 2 or more. I go to World/Map. Move the plane to near the destination airport, and go back into the sim, request IFR from ATC and continue through to land.

Am I in the minority? What do you guys do?

Hi

How many airliner pilots fly the full journey?

I suspect most, like me, cut out the cruise bit.

I take off, climb out to cruise.

Then I short cut to just before descent begins, and then land.

Maybe some use time X 2 or more. I go to World/Map. Move the plane to near the destination airport, and go back into the sim, request IFR from ATC and continue through to land.

Am I in the minority? What do you guys do?

At my flying club, we already discussed `usage`:

NOONE only flies take-offs or landings, as the cruise portion is just as important, but we made no differentiation between GA and Airline flying.

For GA, we all agreed the landing part was more significant, as it allows one to practice, as well as view the surroundings.

Nobody was using the base sim any more, all use ORBX and/or addons.

My favorite flights were usually no longer than 1 1/2 hour from takeoff till landing. I did several across the ocean flights and di them in several sections. I would get to the point of "butt-itis" and do a save. When I flew again, I would just resume the saved flight from where I left off. ;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

As someone who prefers Mil fast jets I normally fly a complete flight in one go as they tend to be relatively short anyway.

When I fly longer legs or use a Mil Cargo type it will depend on how much time I can 'muster' up to 'fly'. Some flights I will have to split as Charlie does using the save/reload method and others I will use upto 16x speed (this is the max you can use when using autopilot) so as to be able to complete the flight....

However, the MOST important thing to remember about how you use the sim is that you do so in a manner that gives YOU the enjoyment that you WANT...

Regards

Brian

I fly the PMDG 747 almost exclusively, so real world flights would normally be long haul and hence an extended cruise.

I get around this in the sim by flying unrealistic routes, like London to/from Paris.

It's long enough to reach cruising altitude, but not for long enough to be boring!

GA Pilot here so my flights are no more than a few hrs anyhow ! Yes, guilty of putting her on autopilot and doing other desk work. Love 2 go from a preflight checklists, Airport maps Proper start up etc all the way to the arrival gate documenting almost everything !
FSX. As of now I have 3 laptops all utilizing & linked to FSX, 1 - 32" TV for Gages, 40" TV for Main View. Saitek Pro Flight Control System. Am building a new rig and flight deck. Most likely going to X-Plane 11 for Sim. Also might buy MFS2020 for the pretty Pictures.

My flights tend to be short with most of my interest being in learning the flight characteristics of the aircraft.

Probably the shortest was many years ago when I was learning helicopters.

That great, now retired, site HoverControl had an add on for the Kallispell Montana Hospital. It has a helicopter pad in the parking lot and one on the roof. By flying from one to the other about fifty times, I learned helicopter landing.

Average flight times were about 90 seconds.

Short or long, FSX is entertaining.

Flying for more then a hour bores me, so short hops. Anything longer such as international, grab the SR-71 and run afterburners the entire way. :)
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Once at cruise alt, I speed up the sim (16x) until I’m at or around 160 miles from my destination. Then I return to normal rate and comms.

Reason being, I fly jetliners, so once the auto pilot takes over, I get bored just sitting there. Lol

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Once at cruise alt, I speed up the sim (16x) until I’m at or around 160 miles from my destination. Then I return to normal rate and comms.

Reason being, I fly jetliners, so once the auto pilot takes over, I get bored just sitting there. Lol

Same here, and of course can't afford the time - O'Hare to Heathrow is a long way😀

Using the map is very quick. Just have to be careful that the altitude and speed values don't change inadvertently.

• 2 weeks later...

Same! I fly a range of multiple engine jets from the A319 all the way up to the A380 on various routes; short haul/long haul I've done it all! But I still speed up the simulation rate after reaching cruising altitude and then when I'm 100-120NM from my destination airport I bring it back to normal. Otherwise you'd be on the sim alllll day! :p

• 2 weeks later...

short bush flights are my go-to. I run a VA and use the cessna caravan or grumman goose. I don't fly over 40 minute flights normaly. If I need to go long distances I use my T-45c goshawk or f-18. https://fshub.io/airline/GAC/overview https://fshub.io/pilot/4518/profile

I've been using fshub to track my flights recently. free and it works well