Download Question.

TaylorMade

Have gotten great info from this thread. Last one I asked if I need to be concerned about community folder. Don’t even know if I can find it. Answer was no. Updating now that I have power in Texas on 2/18. Dedicated powerful game cpu and haven’t really experienced long downloads. This update sent me to Microsoft Store to d/l a gig, then to the sim where I have spent 3 hrs downloading only half of the 22 gigs. Please tell me that some files are being overwritten and not dumping an extra 22gigs to hard drive. Haven’t experienced this long of download before. Thanks.

what game or program are we talking about?

Also, leave the pc, make some tomato sauce and a boil huge pot of maceroni. Mix up. Then go distribute to starving and freezing people in the near you.

Or better yet as it requires less water:

place large pot on stove and fill with cans of beans in tomato sauce, add potatoes peeled and diced small so they cook quickly. Add jars of peas and carrots, or other veggies like frozen spinach. With the potatoes in that makes a great hearty soup. Full of protein (beans) starch (potatoes) and veg.

You could ad saugages, but some may be vegetarians or unable to eat them.

The soup may be the best choice. It is made without thickening agents that contain flour. That means it can be eaten by people allergic to gluten. (lots of kids have gluten allergy these days and can't eat macaroni or bread because it's made from flour.)

For that reason clean the kitchen and cookwear well. With gluten a microscopic amount can cause issues. )

When you go distributing remember to bring spoons, and wet wipes to clean the spoons with.

Also wash out the cans to use them as something for people to eat out of.

Maybe use buckets with plastic bags tied over them, or a coolbox to transport the soup in car.

If you have water, bring that to pass out as well.

Maybe old clothes you were throwing out. And milk poeder for babies if you have some.

Cost is almost zero, but will save lives. Well worth the effort!:D:pilot:

Hang in there. Some have spotty power again I see. (CNN) But many are still starving and freezing. (and without water of course.)

Hang in there.:D I'm a few thousend miles away, but thoughts are with the people there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oops. erroor in that. Regarding Gluten. (sorry to harp on)

Theres gluten in the tomato sauce that's in cans of beans with sauce.

(Perhapz there are thickners in cans of "pure" tomato puree as well.)

There is also some flour in most spice mixes. So use only fresh ground pepper and salt if you want to make something gluten free.

I never cook gluten free myself. I know a little, but people with gluten allergy tell me that things you would never expect to, still have some in.

If you never cooked gluten free it's best to not hand it out as gluten free. People with that allergy will have serious issues and may need medical attention if they eat gluten.

again, sorry I had to harp on.

Hang in there.:pilot:

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think one of the reasons this download took longer, is that it is many files rather than a single large file. If you notice, it takes a while for the download to spool up to your optimum download capability. Small files load at the much slower initial rate way below your final rate. I was watching many of the small files never got over 30MB/s while the large files could load at my max 78 MB/s.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I am not sure if that was meant to be a post in jest, but I assure you it isn't funny here. I don't think food is the major problem. Having moved to East Texas from Nebraska, most homes here are built very differently than those in the north, and are very unsuited to dealing with an event unlike any in the last 105 years. Windows and insulation materials in this part of the country never anticipated -4 degree temps, but especially never expected those would last for days without relent. I have had snow cover for 8 straight days, and we were down in the teens last night. This has caused many houses to encounter burst plumbing. I have been without potable water for 6 days. We can't even use the water that appears intermittently to bath, much less to drink untreated. We had to resort to melting snow to flush toilets at the depth of the event.

Even more problematic, is the failure of the communication mechanisms we have come to rely on. Without electricity, cell phones went down, and with them, ability to contact medical staff and emergency resources. Milk could no longer be pasteurized, so dairy products have just disappeared. Bottled water is not there. Now hospitals are unable to find water to run lifesaving machinery like kidney dialysis. Even today, there is still 6 inches of snow cover. It may seem trivial to those that deal with feet of snow in northern states, but there is no equipment to deal with snow covered roads, cars are not equipped to deal with snow and ice, and most folks don't even have a snow shovel.

We don't need soup, and folks are not starving, but water is really tough to come by. I am sure lives were lost as doctors and medical teams no longer could communicate. It is serious, and people are suffering, but soup won't help!!

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I am not sure if that was meant to be a post in jest, but I assure you it isn't funny here.

That post was no joke. I would not joke about a disaster or about people dying.

I hear many are driven from their houses because of leaks from cracked pipes. Many have no food or water. And no power, or gas.

And another freezing night was to come.

In those conditions a hot bowl of soup before bed can be the difference between surviving the night or not.

I assume that with Covid making shopping uncertain, most will have some extra food stored. Especially tinned food. (I know I do.)

The OP seems to be OK. He says he has power, and is waiting around for something to download.

So why not instead use that available electricity to boil up a pot of soup and save some lives.

I know I would.

Some tins of beans in tomato sauce, some tins of vegetables, dunk in a packet of rice, simmer for 30 minutes, done.

Especially in the first nights helping each other is essential.

(It always takes a while for help from the Federal Government to arrive.)

(I can't help from here, don't live in the US myself.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Once again, we DON"T NEED SOUP!!!

Water is now flowing but contaminated from all the broken mains. Send a truck full of bottled water if you want to help!

Milk is unavailable as pasteurization was shut down. Send a truck of milk if you want to help!

Better still, shutup unless you too spent hours and hours on the phone trying to reach a doctor to no avail!!!!!

Relax, all I said is, instead of downloading you could do better things right now.

Yes, of course I know about the water shortage.

If you can download, you can also boil water for people who have no electricity.

You can probably do a million other things.

If for some reason you are not able to help, sure. It's only a suggestion.

PS: Regarding milk. I have some cans of powdered milk stocked up. I live some 6.000 Nm away or so, outside of the US. If I lived closer I would be handing it out over there right now.

Wish you the best.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]