AVG blocked threat after update.

I have just downloaded and installed the latest update (21GB).

When it finished AVG virus protector reported the following

avg threat.jpg

Has anyone else had similar?

What should I do, create an exception and allow 2020 to run?

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Hi John, I wouldn’t worry about it. Obviously we know FlightSimulator.exe is safe, but I’ve just googled it (but didn’t specify flight sim)

I found some posts on a forum, in regards to a different reputable software title, which AVG came up with the same thing.

They are saying it’s a “false positive”. They also recommend to update AVG so the error shouldn’t happen again.

“Thank you for letting us know the status. IDP generic means that the detection was detected by a Identity Protection detection component and it is a generalized file that got detected. This can either be a false positive as well which happened due to an out dated definitions and got fixed after updating AVG”

I think you are safe to add flight sim as an exception.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Thanks Steve

I really didn't think that there would be a threat with a MS product but I was once 'stung' so badly (years ago) that I ended up having to reformat and reinstall everything.

John

No worries. Better safe than sorry.

You might find that simply updating AVG will sort it anyway, without having to add MSFS as an exception

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

No worries. Better safe than sorry.

You might find that simply updating AVG will sort it anyway, without having to add MSFS as an exception

Regards

Steve

The obvious choice would be to rely on that same Microsoft to provide virus protection, not some third party provider KNOWN for its inability to cope with `our` - or anybodys - software setup... AVG is baloney!

Actually I don't know why I still have AVG installed as I also have Malwarebytes protecting my PC.

John

Even Windows Defender does a good job nowadays, or so some say.

Mind you.. two or three months ago I had a problem in that Microsoft’s own Windows Defender was blocking Microsoft Flight Sim, stopping it from running. That’s all been sorted now though.

Regards

Steve

Windows Defender, plus the additional security Microsoft has been building into Windows, does work pretty well and is likely good enough for most people. All anti-virus programs will have false positives from time to time, but AVG seems to feature a little more often than most. Maybe because it has been free for a long time and thus used more widely, though I'm not sure that entirely accounts for all of it.

Actually I don't know why I still have AVG installed as I also have Malwarebytes protecting my PC.

Is the Malwarebytes you have installed the full payware version or just the free scanner, if it's the former then you should not have 2 anti virus software packages installed and running together.

Many years ago, while running XP I used antivirus programs, but when memory availability became tight under XP, I uninstalled AVG and over the last ten or fifteen years I never re-installed any antivirus program and I've never had a problem.

IMO this antivirus prattle is 99.99% hype, it gives tech writers something to write about while receiving "gifts" and kickbacks from the vendors of anti-malware programs for spreading paranoia.

I actually consider anti-malware programs to be malware, they all have built in advertising, they all are memory and resource hogs and they all interfere with the normal use of the computer. The McAfee and Peter Norton crap are completely over the top in selling paranoia and delivering malware. I remember way way back, in the days before windows, when Peter Norton provided some very useful utilities, but then he sold his name to the mercenaries and he has had no connection to Peter Norton "protection" for probably 20 years now. The idea of buying "security" from a Russian firm (Kaspersky), sounds like complete insanity to me.

I have never had any negative consequences from opting out and I am not really all that cautious in my internet usage. Although I don't open unknown E-mail and there are some sites I won't go to because they appear disreputable, I do do things like calling up Pirate Bay once in a while.

Only after deciding to get MSFS2020, which made abandoning my trusted Windows 7 installation necessary, have I again used a anti-virus program: Windows Defender. Windows Defender of course comes bundled with Windows 10 and all the accounts I have read tell me that it is very effective, PC Magazine calls it "pretty darn good".

If I ever become a billionaire or a noted political figure who invites targeted attacks, I'll look into more security, but as it is I'll use Windows Defender, and I only do that because it's already there.

Edited by sfojimbo
i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Hi Jimbo, I have used a few antivirus programs over the years, inc AVG..Panda Security...Zone Alarm...

But like you, I only use Windows Defender nowadays. Some say it’s pretty good now anyway. Besides, modern routers also have better security as well.

Regards

Steve

Thanks everyone for your information.

I have been thinking of 'ditching' AVG for some time mainly because of all the popups it produces and now will definitely uninstall it and rely on Microsoft defender.

I have to admit that because years ago when I was not careful my PC (probably Windows XP) at the time became infected with a virus and nothing would remove it so I ended up reformatting and reinstalling everything again which took forever.

Even now EVERYTHING I download I pass through Malwarebytes (free version) MANUALLY even with AVG installed.

Hey I thought that Defender was a firewall not an anti virus app.

John

Hi John, Defender is a firewall & anti virus program.

There’s nothing wrong with Malwarebytes free program though. Can’t say I’ve used it for a while though, but it’s a great tool to say it’s free! :)

I used to like it because you didn’t have to have it running on start up, but instead you could run it as & whenever you liked and they are quite reputable, compared to some of the others.

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve. I WILL leave Malwarebytes installed as it doesn't annoy me but maybe I will leave AVG installed at least for a while IF I can work out how to not start it up with Windows as the pop ups particularly annoy me. I had a quick look at the settings and couldn't see how to do this so maybe it needs to go. Edited by jparnold
typo

John