Giving a last breath of life to my very old PC

On my way to buy new MSFS for XBOX X instead for the moment

and having a new laptop that can not run FSX nor MSFS.

I'm planning to give a last breath of life performance to my very dinosaur PC

Here are the specs:

ASUS P5QPL VM-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-GT220GEFORCE

i wanna buy the latest that can fit the body and run FSX acceleration

Processor, DDR2, graphs card, power supply

if someone can lead me to the best items i can get or lead me to any sites that can help me do the shopping

it would be very appreciated.

Thank you !

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Realistically, the GPU and RAM are probably the only areas you could upgrade without essentially building a new system. What's your budget? What are the specs for the PSU (ie. how many watts)? How many RAM slots are currently populated?

For Canada I would recommend MemoryExpress and Newegg.ca for shopping for computer parts. Amazon is very hit or miss, especially on prices.

Realistically, the GPU and RAM are probably the only areas you could upgrade without essentially building a new system. What's your budget? What are the specs for the PSU (ie. how many watts)? How many RAM slots are currently populated?

For Canada I would recommend MemoryExpress and Newegg.ca for shopping for computer parts. Amazon is very hit or miss, especially on prices.

what about graph card ? i believe there are tons of better GC out there

from what i've read back in those years :)

PSU is 350 watts.

2 ddr2 slots

PCIexpress for G card

my budget could go up to 500$ (specialy graphs card) but then again i wonder if its too much for such an old system

Edited by lefu

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GPU = graphics card ;)

Are you saying there are two RAM slots currently populated, or only two RAM slots total?

Yes, there are far better GPUs out there, however, with your older system and the smaller PSU, you are limited as to what will work and makes the most sense. Bumping the RAM to 8GB would give FSX more room to breathe (assuming you are running a 64 bit version of Windows), and a GeForce GT 740 1GB or 2GB model would be much more powerful than the GT 220, whilst staying within your current PSU's output.

Edited by loki
Corrected GPU

GPU = graphics card ;)

Are you saying there are two RAM slots currently populated, or only two RAM slots total?

Yes, there are far better GPUs out there, however, with your older system and the smaller PSU, you are limited as to what will work and makes the most sense. Bumping the RAM to 8GB would give FSX more room to breathe (assuming you are running a 64 bit version of Windows), and a GeForce GT 740 1GB or 2GB model would be much more powerful than the GT 220, whilst staying within your current PSU's output.

damn me ! i thought i read cpu lol..

so you believe im gonna have to keep the same processor ?

as i said before i want to invest into anything that can fit the the motherboard, power supply and processeurs...

oh and i only have 2 ddr2 slots occupied.

with 4 gig ram total, thats all i have

i think i can go up to 8 gig ram in that motherboard but im not sure...

Edited by lefu

Yes, it looks like you can upgrade to 8GB of RAM.

As for the CPU, yes, you could possibly upgrade. Although you will likely need to search eBay as those processors are well beyond their production lifespan. Look for an E8500, E8600 or E8700, and they will most likely be used, not new. Don't bother with the Core 2 Quad CPUs as those run at lower clock speeds and will actually run FSX slower than what you currently have.

Also note, an E8600 needs a lot more watts than an E8400! Your PSU may not have much room to expand?
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Also note, an E8600 needs a lot more watts than an E8400! Your PSU may not have much room to expand?

Thats why i'm planning to get another PSU as well