a fs2004 32 bit question on Win7

chiastra

Good morning

I have a Win7 64 bit PC, and I have a problem with "Traffic 2005" Just Flight 32 bit bought some years ago. I can't install it on my PC, there is a registry trick to allow installation? I know that 32 bit programs are ok in 64 bit SO. Someone has some idea?

Regards

Andrea

Are there any errors that show up? If so, what are they? We need more information.

Yes, a 32 bit program will work in a 64 bit OS fine. In fact, there's a Programs folder and a Programs x86 folder to accompany both 32 and 64 bit programs.

Hi,

I don't know about this one, but there are some old FS program installers that won't work in Win 7. An example is FSDS 2.0. You need to copy over a complete install from a previous computer onto your Win 7 computer and then run the install. I assume there may be a similar problem here?

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Stuff like this could be the DEP (Data Execution Prevention) setting in Windows. Give this a read once and see if that may fix the issue. https://computerrepairsacramentoca.net/knowledge-base/disable-dep-windows-7-disable-dep-windows-2008-r2/

It may and it may not. I don't know. I do know it's what I had to do to get Reality XP gauges that worked in XP to work in 7.

I can say from personal experience that a lot of Just Flight older installers (pre-2008) don't work in Win 10 or any 64 bit machines. I tried with them for a while but they finally said they don't have a fix and gave me a credit towards some future purchase.

To view my repaints and other stuff just click on the image below!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I 'm not a windows tech wizard more on the electronics side of thing and would like to put a little more understanding into this 32/64 bit issue which crops up from time to time. As i'm sure we all know a computer works with only 2 states on/off, to view this on a oscilloscope it looks like castle battlements, the way a transistor connection works it switches on the falling voltage hence press the mouse key and nothing happen until you release it, a 32 bit system sends 32 bits of data on ever cycle whether it be a 16 or an early 8bit sending only 8bit that has been a fact since the first computer. The advances in micro circuits PC's switch not only on the falling voltage but on the rising voltage also, hence 64 bits sent per cycle, given that most simmers systems were struggling to cope with 32 bits per cycle know one saw any benefits in the early days. So 32/64 bit is a hard ware and not a software upgrade although I will concede the software has been updated again and again. Microsoft have never really considered compatibility with older programs as a priority much to the annoyance of FS9 users.

I do how ever have the answer to why some cant use FS9 in win10 64bit its the FS9.exe file needs change to the 64bit one

link to my dropbox:- https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akdd9wf_5zQNgocXmp6mk7iGh_1Asw?e=PqfuAz

replace it for the one in the FS2004 directory and you should be good to go, an problems email me.

Howard

Mail : biggles-tnw@outlook.com

Web : http://biggles11.wix.com/the-natural-world

I can say from personal experience that a lot of Just Flight older installers (pre-2008) don't work in Win 10 or any 64 bit machines. I tried with them for a while but they finally said they don't have a fix and gave me a credit towards some future purchase.

While 32 bit programs run under 64 bit Windows, 16 bit ones don't. And many older installer programs were 16 bit, hence not working under 64 bit Windows.

I do how ever have the answer to why some cant use FS9 in win10 64bit its the FS9.exe file needs change to the 64bit one

link to my dropbox:- https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akdd9wf_5zQNgocXmp6mk7iGh_1Asw?e=PqfuAz

replace it for the one in the FS2004 directory and you should be good to go, an problems email me.

Howard

No, the 32 bit version of FS9 will run under 64 bit Windows on its own and does not need to be converted at all. And the only people who can properly convert it to a 64 bit program are Microsoft as it means recompiling the source code, and potentially fixing anything not compatible with 64 bit processing.

FS9 is a 32bit program its the bmp's which are mainly 16bit with with still quite a few old 8bit textures in there, I have done a lot of support work over many years, win10 has been the only version to cause real problems for some FS9 users who can not use it on on there new PC's, I think its more a windows problem than a FS9 issue I know the reason why but not going there in this post. I have just built a win10, i7 out of my old gaming computer and some old bit saved out of computers I have upgrades or renewed for simmers in my area its very slow for a i7 but good enough for my software test machine P3Dv5 FSXSE FSX and FS9 I am developing software for them all. while its true most copies of FS9 will install and work fine sadly not all including mine until changed the exe file and works fine now.

Howard

FS9 is a 32bit program its the bmp's which are mainly 16bit with with still quite a few old 8bit textures in there, I have done a lot of support work over many years, win10 has been the only version to cause real problems for some FS9 users who can not use it on on there new PC's, I think its more a windows problem than a FS9 issue I know the reason why but not going there in this post. I have just built a win10, i7 out of my old gaming computer and some old bit saved out of computers I have upgrades or renewed for simmers in my area its very slow for a i7 but good enough for my software test machine P3Dv5 FSXSE FSX and FS9 I am developing software for them all. while its true most copies of FS9 will install and work fine sadly not all including mine until changed the exe file and works fine now.

Howard

You are conflating two different uses of the word bit. Running a 32 bit application is different than the application using 8, 16 or 32 bit textures. The application and executable code itself is what matters when talking about running on a 64 bit CPU and OS, not the supported colour depth of the textures.

Issues with FS9 on Windows 10 have to do with things like support for the DRM it used being removed in Windows 10, not how many bits the exe is built for. People have been running FS9 on Windows 10 for years now, finding workarounds for the issues that come up (see the thread at the top of this forum).

The advances in micro circuits PC's switch not only on the falling voltage but on the rising voltage also, hence 64 bits sent per cycle, given that most simmers systems were struggling to cope with 32 bits per cycle know one saw any benefits in the early days. So 32/64 bit is a hard ware and not a software upgrade although I will concede the software has been updated again and again. Microsoft have never really considered compatibility with older programs as a priority much to the annoyance of FS9 users.

What you described earlier is how DDR RAM works (hence the Double Rate Rate in the name), but not what a 64 CPU does. With CPUs, the registers and data sizes inside the CPU are 64 bits wide and move around just like they did on a 32 bit one.

I did not start the differences between colour depth but just trying clarify a point from a earlier post, I am dyslexic and have attention deficit disorder among other things and find it difficult to retain information, at my age my conditions were not heard of I have suffered a lot of abuse even by my teachers at school to get to where I am with the qualification I have all paid for by me as I could not fill out any application forms in those days, my disabilities have never stopped my trying to genuinely help and there are probably many who appropriated having the having the difference between 64/32 bit hard explained in layman terms the subject of my first post, with regard to the FS9.exe if it works why knock it.

Howard