Can't Stop the Plane Once It is Down

pdmike

Now I have a new problem. Thanks to y'all, I am able to hit the localizer, the glide slope and land the plane. The new problem? I can't stop the sucker once it is down. I do everything I used to do (which worked at the time) but none of it seems to work now. The plane just keeps going, hurtles off the end of the runway, killing dozens of innocent people. This has to stop!

(I am flying the default, Boeing 737)

Here is what I do to try to make it stop: I set the AUTOBRAKE to max. I ARM the SPOILERS. Once the plane is on the runway, I hit the REVERSE THRUSTERS. None of these things seem to have any effect. As far as I can tell, the autobrake never engages. I can see that the spoilers never engage, even though they are armed. Aren't they supposed to come up once the plane touches down, assuming they are armed? And the reverse thrusters never come on. I am left to hit F-1 and F-2 and pump on the parking brake, none of which have any effect either.

Little help here, please?

Edited by pdmike

Okay, Mike, sounds like several things?

What altitude are you using to capture the glidescope? Might want to start using charts like Skyvector.com

On a localizer only/ILS approach to landing, I use the following:

Airbus - AT off 600' AGL

- AP and APPR off 500' AGL

Boeing - AP and APPR off 600' AGL

- AT off at 500' AGL

As you can see Airbus is just opposite of the Boeing line

What approach speeds are you using?

One thing I also do once I know I have plenty of glide to get me to the runway, I hit "f2" twice. It works for me, but others will think

I have lost my mind!

Okay, I use the Boeing callout for all my jetliners! At the announcement of 50', I hit F1 once to kill any residual power in the engines.

The rest is a manual effort by the pilot to get the plane down and parked!

Start using a checklist! http://freechecklists.net/simchecklists.asp

As far as the reversers and the spoilers go, there are entries for those in the aircraft.cfg. Make sure they are indicated with a "1"

You say you are using the default B737. That aircraft has very little wrong with it. So if it isn't doing what you ask it to do, the fault then becomes you!:rolleyes:

Try the above and see if something there helps. Sounds like your are carrying power and airspeed all the way to touchdown and then fighting it to stop!

Many pieces to the puzzle of a successful ILS landing. You just got to take "one bite at a time" to see what you doing/not doing! And it will come together for you!

Good luck - Rick :cool::cool:

Edited by Downwind66

Okay, Mike, sounds like several things?

What altitude are you using to capture the glidescope? Might want to start using charts like Skyvector.com

On a localizer only/ILS approach to landing, I use the following:

Airbus - AT off 600' AGL

- AP and APPR off 500' AGL

Boeing - AP and APPR off 600' AGL

- AT off at 500' AGL

As you can see Airbus is just opposite of the Boeing line

What approach speeds are you using?

One thing I also do once I know I have plenty of glide to get me to the runway, I hit "f2" twice. It works for me, but others will think

I have lost my mind!

Okay, I use the Boeing callout for all my jetliners! At the announcement of 50', I hit F1 once to kill any residual power in the engines.

The rest is a manual effort by the pilot to get the plane down and parked!

Start using a checklist! http://freechecklists.net/simchecklists.asp

As far as the reversers and the spoilers go, there are entries for those in the aircraft.cfg. Make sure they are indicated with a "1"

You say you are using the default B737. That aircraft has very little wrong with it. So if it isn't doing what you ask it to do, the fault then becomes you!:rolleyes:

Try the above and see if something there helps. Sounds like your are carrying power and airspeed all the way to touchdown and then fighting it to stop!

Many pieces to the puzzle of a successful ILS landing. You just got to take "one bite at a time" to see what you doing/not doing! And it will come together for you!

Good luck - Rick :cool::cool:

I approach the localizer at 2000 ft AGL. I am at 160 as I approach the localizer, 150 when I am on the localizer and 145 (or appropriate landing speed for whatever jet I may be flying at the time) going down the glideslope.

I cut the AP at 400 ft. AGL and cut the AT immediately thereafter.

Hi Mike - I think you worked out the problem when you realized you weren't cutting off the AT, and I hope that continues to give you successful landings! The Boeing 737 is a very nice aircraft for practice on the ILS landings!

One thing that I will repeat, use checklists for the larger jetliners! Also, I use Sky Vector a lot for getting ILS chart info and general information about the airports, especially when flying into unfamiliar

airports. Both of these can be your friend!

Have a nice day and happy flying!

Rick :cool:

Never mind. Turning off Autothrottle does wonders. I hadn't been doing that.

I’ve done that myself on a few occasions...

Had my license pulled and had to go back to simulator training/certification. Lol

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Never mind. Turning off Autothrottle does wonders. I hadn't been doing that.

Yeah, been there and done that. :-/ Now when I land via autopilot I keep my left hand on the yoke and my right hand on my Saitek autopilot panel's Autothrottle lever (if my aircraft uses it). When it is time I flip it off, then press the IAS button to turn off speed hold, and finally use the button on my yoke to turn off the autopilot master. With any aircraft, default or third party, the fewer autopilot buttons that are lit up, the better!

Hi Mike - I think you worked out the problem when you realized you weren't cutting off the AT, and I hope that continues to give you successful landings! The Boeing 737 is a very nice aircraft for practice on the ILS landings!

One thing that I will repeat, use checklists for the larger jetliners! Also, I use Sky Vector a lot for getting ILS chart info and general information about the airports, especially when flying into unfamiliar

airports. Both of these can be your friend!

Have a nice day and happy flying!

Is there a key for shutting down the AT or do we have to do it from the panel?

Also, is the Speedbrake necessary when landing, assuming your approach/localizer/glideslope speeds are proper?

Shift+r (I think) For A/T. Speed brake or spoilers, in the case of the 737, are a good thing to use. In combination with reverse thrust, there is only a need to use the brakes gently to come to a stop.

Might be handy to print this and keep it close by for reference...https://www.flightsimbeek.nl/images/index/FSX_Keyboard_Commands.pdf

Edited by mrzippy

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi Mike - Just disengage the AT button/toggle switch on the panel. And no, if you are referring to autobrakes. Many of your 10,000' runways, why bother?

Spoilers or Speedbrake as some might call them, I use them (spoilers) for all my landings. Trouble is, some of the freeware aircraft out there, they don't always deploy when you want them to.

I have gotten lucky on only a few by adjusting the static heighth. BUT, only a few could I get working.

The others go to file 13 and I move on to the next download until I find one that works! I'm talking about Auto Spoilers, manually deployed spoilers always seem to work okay! :rolleyes:

Happy Flying Mike!

Shift+r (I think) For A/T. Speed brake or spoilers, in the case of the 737, are a good thing to use. In combination with reverse thrust, there is only a need to use the brakes gently to come to a stop.

Might be handy to print this and keep it close by for reference...https://www.flightsimbeek.nl/images/index/FSX_Keyboard_Commands.pdf

Sorry Charlie, I didn't see your response to Mike. "My Bad.....................!" :rolleyes:

AT Master (On/Off) = 'Z' key (toggle)...in case you are not in the cockpit and can't see the panel and switches.
i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).