Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I change the Cessna 172 skyhawk instrument panel?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavulife View Post
    Yes Aptos, I was down at WVI in the 172. I’m from San Jose so I’m familiar with the airports in South County and I went there when trying out the radios for your glide slope question and for the guy with the alternator question. I didn’t see you so I’m guessing that the plane stays there for a bit after I exited?

Maybe I’ll see you around there next time.
    Must be that the plane was still parked there after you ended your flight. I noticed that when I parked next to it, it turned kinda ghostly. Maybe I'll "see" you in San Jose. I think Watsonville is a good place to practice landing any GA plane, up to corporate jets. (GraniteRock, a locally based construction outfit, had a Cessna Citation based in Watsonville, back when I was a reporter for the Watsonville paper. The airport manager at the time was also their pilot, as I recall.) The Watsonville runways are less-forgiving and more challenging targets than say, the wider runways at KSJC or KSFO.

By the way, with your interest in aviation, did you ever go to the annual Watsonville Fly-In? I covered it for the newspaper a couple of times. One time in the late '70s, I witnessed a crash at that event during a short-takeoff contest. The pilot took off too soon and climbed too abruptly, stalling the plane. What I remember most vividly was seeing the plane turn slowly on its longitudinal (?) axis before nosing over and slamming into the runway. It looked like the engine/prop was turning the plane instead of the other way around. Fortunately, there was no fire or explosion. Perhaps the pilot had the presence of mind to cut the fuel when he realized he wasn't going to make it. He and his passenger suffered serious injuries.
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I never did make it down for the Watsonville fly-in, but I do recall that it was a big deal. I live near the flight path going in to Moffett Field (about 10 miles away), and we always get to see the B17 and B25 that were coming up from WVI around Memorial Day.

Default TRACK IR with Flight sims

I notice yu are commenting on TRACK IR ... I use it with latest MSFS 2020, and seem to note that the Hat switch for exmple no longer works, at least 80% of the time. I can no longer look left or right, or magnify the TrackIR position by using that POV button. Other features seem to go away as well - all related to viewing the cockpit, ,and use of camera functions?

Is there something I am missing? I noted that the Settings in CAMERA Setup within MSFS seemed to be critical and aggravatingly complex. And the camera definitions change within the menus. Kinda easy to identify and fix ? for most over 18 ers. I digress...

Any thoughts? I use TRACKIR this with DCS and X Plane and have best results with DCS, MSFS the least results. Also use with Racing sims like Assetto Corsa and Automibilista
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PCdetailsCapture.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	225622

Quote Originally Posted by mnwpro3 View Post
    I notice yu are commenting on TRACK IR ... I use it with latest MSFS 2020, and seem to note that the Hat switch for exmple no longer works, at least 80% of the time. I can no longer look left or right, or magnify the TrackIR position by using that POV button. Other features seem to go away as well - all related to viewing the cockpit, ,and use of camera functions?

Is there something I am missing? I noted that the Settings in CAMERA Setup within MSFS seemed to be critical and aggravatingly complex. And the camera definitions change within the menus. Kinda easy to identify and fix ? for most over 18 ers. I digress...

Any thoughts? I use TRACKIR this with DCS and X Plane and have best results with DCS, MSFS the least results. Also use with Racing sims like Assetto Corsa and Automibilista
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PCdetailsCapture.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	225622
    I have no problem using the hat switch with or without TrackIR. Sometimes I use it to recenter the instrument panel in TrackIR (somethng I only realized I could do with it). I have more than 50 flight hours in MSFS 2020 now and I still don't understand how to use the camera in external view, and been too occupied with learning to fly better to bother understanding how to use it. I can use the hat switch to zoom in on instrument panels while using TrackIR, which I've found is sometimes preferable to leaning in to look at them more closely. I have been finding TrackIR a distraction when on final approach. I'll be 100-50 yards from the runway, when I'll suddenly find myself looking at the plane's ceiling, or out the left-hand window, and I have to jerk my head to look at the cockpit again. I'm not sure why this happens. It may be because the IR camera is above the level of my hat. I guess I should lower my monitor a bit, but then the two-panel instrument stack on top of my flight yoke would conceal part of the screen. So I haven't tried that. The simpler solution to this problem, I've found, is to go to the camera menu and turn off TrackIR on final. I also find that useful when I need to fiddle with dials on the Garmin G1000 MFD screen. TrackIR is good for seeing where an airport runway is when you're flying a landing pattern. Otherwise, it's very nice for just sightseeing, especially when the plane's on autopilot.

Those are all the thoughts I have. I'm sorry I have no suggestions for your issues. I just haven't experienced them myself.
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12