HIgh CPU temps

I just got a new machine, went with the I7, 10700K chip.

Been flying around NYC and the visuals are great! The problem is, my CPU has been running hot (air cooled only), I have 2 fans, one in front and the one in the back, so my air flow is good.

My temps have spiked to 85 C (which I know is not good). I am not getting around 50% utilization.

What can I do to lower the temps (besides NOT flying in NYC), lol

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just googled "I7 gen 10700K temperature" and 85 C is normal for these CPU's, they're known to run hot.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I just googled "I7 gen 10700K temperature" and 85 C is normal for these CPU's, they're known to run hot.

Thanks Tim!

I had thought (dangerous), that anything above 80 C was bad. Just don't want to burn up the new machine :D

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I believe the max temp for this CPU is 100 C.

Thx Paul, I've also noticed that it hits these temps in spikes, then settles down. It is not staying constant.

Is there built in protection to cause the CPU to throttle down if it's get too hot?

I use the same processor and msfs with almost all at Ultra.

I think 85c is rather high. [ATTACH=CONFIG]225313[/ATTACH]

Are you liquid or air cooled?

Edit-just noticed is that your GPU numbers?

I have the same CPU but it's water cooled. My temps run in the mid 20's idle and the top end temp on the hardest working core in MSFS (seems to be core 4) has yet to hit 80c as reported on Core Temp.

When I'm monitoring the temps during a sim session I rarely see them even in the 60's. That's with ambient temps 20-24 C (high 60's mid 70's F). Right now as I'm typing this I don't have a single core over 29 C.

My system case has a ton of fans though. It came with 5. One for the PS which is an intake on the bottom of the case, two intakes on the front and two exhaust on the top which are attached to the radiator. I added two more, one more intake on the front and a rear exhaust. That actually took the temps down another 4-5 C, plus brought the GPU temps down as well.

The CPU and GPU may be rated for much higher temps but the cooler you can keep all the components the more stable they will run and with improved longevity too.

Thanks! I was wondering what app you were using, will try that out.

But your initial question was : What can I do to lower the temp.

The first thing I would do is see if the fans cick (Kick) in.

I dont know what system you have but when my fans kick in I can hear them

17-10700K, RTX3060TI, 32 ram, 500G M.2 SSD. Windows10, MSFS on 500 SSD

Been flying around NYC and the visuals are great! The problem is, my CPU has been running hot (air cooled only), I have 2 fans, one in front and the one in the back, so my air flow is good.

A fan in front and back doesn't necessarily mean airflow is good. Are the two fans the same model? What case are you using? Where are those fans positioned in the case exactly? What are your ambient room temps?

Edited to add:

What CPU cooler are you using?

CPUs have had over temp protection for years now. They will throttle themselves when getting too hot.

Edited by loki

A fan in front and back doesn't necessarily mean airflow is good. Are the two fans the same model? What case are you using? Where are those fans positioned in the case exactly? What are your ambient room temps?

Edited to add:

What CPU cooler are you using?

CPUs have had over temp protection for years now. They will throttle themselves when getting too hot.

Yes, both fans are the same make and model, and both are working. They are positioned one in the front and the other in the rear of the case, aligned with each other (hope that makes sense)

I am using an air cooler for the CPU

Having the fans blowing air through the case doesn't always mean there is enough airflow, or that the hot air is being removed properly. And there are many different types of air coolers. What exact model of air cooler are you using? The standard ones that came with the CPU? Is a tower cooler (again make and model)? If it's a tower cooler, which way is it oriented? The case itself can make a difference for the airflow too, so what make and model of case are you using?

I've tried to upload the photos I took of the inside of the case, no go :(

It looks like it is a stock CPU cooler.

Edit-found out this is what I had ordered "ZALMAN CNPS8900 Copper Base w/ Heatpipes Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler" not sure if it is better then what was installed ??

The case is (from the invoice sheet) Phanteks metallic gear neo mini-ITX V2 gaming case

Edited by davidc2

Some people accidentally fit their fans backwards and you really don't want to be sucking when you should be blowing. If you vape or smoke, blow some smoke into your rig and check the flow or find a smoker or vaper to do it for you.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Not sure if this has been mentioned but what CPU cooler do you have? Is it the stock CPU cooler fan? I once had a CPU which ran hot and found that there are better 3rd party cpu cooler fans which I purchased and fitted and the average temperature of the cpu went down (cooler) by about 10C.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Thanks for the answers! More detail gives us a better view of what's potentially happening, or not happening. That's a nice looking case! It looks like it should have decent air flow. I've used Zalman coolers before, though not for many years now. It should be adequate for the CPU, though you could be bumping up against how much it can cool.

Is the fan at the front of the case in the top or bottom position? A second fan on the front may be a good idea to make sure both the GPU and CPU are getting plenty of cool air. And what are your GPU temps? With the smaller volume in a mini-ITX case, it can be easy to generate more heat than the case can exhaust.

Maybe give a second fan a try and see how that goes. If you really need to, a tower cooler may be better than the Zalman, though you do need to make sure to find one that fits the case.

This is what I find for your case.

Is this your cooler?

No, that is NOT the cooler that was installed :) It was the one that I ordered, but they installed the plain Intel one.

Some people accidentally fit their fans backwards and you really don't want to be sucking when you should be blowing. If you vape or smoke, blow some smoke into your rig and check the flow or find a smoker or vaper to do it for you.

Well, considering I have bad reactions to smoke, that is not going to happen.

However, the front fan I can feel the air INSIDE the case in front of the fan. The rear one I feel air coming out from the back.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but what CPU cooler do you have? Is it the stock CPU cooler fan? I once had a CPU which ran hot and found that there are better 3rd party cpu cooler fans which I purchased and fitted and the average temperature of the cpu went down (cooler) by about 10C.

This is the one I am considering purchasing- https://www.amazon.com/NOCTUA-NH-U12A-Ventilateurs-NF-A12x25-performants/dp/B07PN4RDW3/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=rlncg40d-20&linkId=d16f5bfc6083661b7aa1dd4be671bb2d&language=en_US

Noctua are considered top of the line air coolers but they are very big. I don't see the dimensional specs on the link you showed but you should make sure that cooler will fit in your case.

Also, all PC case fans flow the direction towards the grill. In other words the grill should be facing inboard for intake and outboard for exhaust.

Edited by Flypops

Noctua are considered top of the line air coolers but they are very big. I don't see the dimensional specs on the link you showed but you should make sure that cooler will fit in your case.

That one looks like it should fit the case, though it will be tight (should double check though). Another point to check is compatibility with the motherboard. Mini-ITX motherboards tend to pack components very close together and coolers that work on micro-ATX and larger boards may not fit the smaller size.

For fan direction many, if not most, have arrows on the side indicating the direction of both the airflow and the spin of the fan blades.