HIgh CPU temps

Thought it would fit, it does not. Right now, I am thinking of leaving it as is. It will spike to 90c, but not stay there.

I am keeping the cover off, and considering have a small desk fan blow onto the CPU. Would that work, or would it mess up the air flow?

What about the other Noctua NH-U12A cooler you were looking at? It is a little smaller than the double tower model you tried and should be able to handle your temps. May also want to add a second fan to the front of the case too.

You could look into a AIO water cooling setup, though I'm not sure you really need to go that far.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thought it would fit, it does not. Right now, I am thinking of leaving it as is. It will spike to 90c, but not stay there.

I am keeping the cover off, and considering have a small desk fan blow onto the CPU. Would that work, or would it mess up the air flow?

I would not think that a desk fan would make much difference if any.

I just had a quick look at my local PC dealers website and noted the Noctua NH-D15S is 165mm tall and all the other similar types are much the same height so you are limited to either low profile coolers or a water cooler. The low profile coolers are a lot cheaper and while they don't cool nearly as effectively as the vertical ones they probably are better than the stock one. Check out what is available in low profile coolers even if you only drop the temperature 10C to 80C.

According to the web the Noctua NH-U12A is only 7mm shorter than the one your tried so probably still too tall.

The other option is a water cooler and some are much the same cost as the Noctua. A small part sits on the cpu with pipes to the core and fan which is mounted on the case.

Edited by jparnold
typos

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

I did check out and customized the fans in the BIOS. They were on Standard, but I put them on Performance.

I could not tell if the CPU was getting too much voltage. Not sure what it should be at?? Tried to find some information, all I got was how to overclock, lol (something I do NOT want to do)

Thanks for the tips on the low profile fans, there are SO MANY choices!!! Not even sure which one is best?

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

According to the web the Noctua NH-U12A is only 7mm shorter than the one your tried so probably still too tall.

Note that the specs for the case say it supports CPU Coolers up to 160 mm in height, so some tower coolers will fit, just not the largest ones. As such I would still recommend looking at a tower cooler as they would be better at getting the heat away from the CPU and directly into the case airflow so it can be removed from the case.

There shouldn't be any need to get into undervolting with that case and a decent cooler.

The Cooler Master 212 Evo V2 is 155mm tall. Check out your case as loki has heaps of good knowledge.

Check out how far it is from the top of the cpu and the case. If more than 155mm it should fit.

The specs for the 10700 are here

I don't quite understand why your cpu temperature is so high as my cpu is an i7 9700K and runs at 3.6Ghz with 8 cores and 9 threads. The temperature when not doing anything is less than 40C.

The 10700 runs at 3.8 (not much faster) also has 8 cores but has 16 threads.

Have a look at

which mentions that the 10700 got to 100C and that it is a hot cpu.

John

The Cooler Master 212 Evo V2 is 155mm tall. Check out your case as loki has heaps of good knowledge.

Check out how far it is from the top of the cpu and the case. If more than 155mm it should fit.

Well, I didn't just pull that recommendation out of thin air. The link to the case specs posted earlier in the thread lists the max CPU cooler height at 160mm... :pilot:

Well, I didn't just pull that recommendation out of thin air. The link to the case specs posted earlier in the thread lists the max CPU cooler height at 160mm... :pilot:

Of course you didn't. It took me some time (in the 6 pages of replies) to find the exact case being used (name not a link) and indeed 'cpu clearance 160mm'. What a nice case too and lots ventilation and fan mounting spots.

David you now know what to buy and install.

John

Of course you didn't. It took me some time (in the 6 pages of replies) to find the exact case being used (name not a link) and indeed 'cpu clearance 160mm'. What a nice case too and lots ventilation and fan mounting spots.

David you now know what to buy and install.

I do appreciate ALL of the replies/advice/links given. :)

When I tried to put the new cooler in, I feel that the height was not the only problem, it was also the width, no matter which way we turned the cooler, it would hit the RAM. And for the fan to work properly, there was only one way it could fit in the case.

I am going to look for a low profile cooler. Not as good as the tower cooler (by a long shot), but, a LOT better then what I have installed right now. I wonder if, when the computer was being built, if they forgot to apply thermal paste ??

I did try a fan blowing onto the chip, did not make a difference.

Edit-based on reviews that it will fit my mini-ITx case, I am trying this one out-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VB3Y89E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by davidc2
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

When I tried to put the new cooler in, I feel that the height was not the only problem, it was also the width, no matter which way we turned the cooler, it would hit the RAM. And for the fan to work properly, there was only one way it could fit in the case.

I am going to look for a low profile cooler. Not as good as the tower cooler (by a long shot), but, a LOT better then what I have installed right now. I wonder if, when the computer was being built, if they forgot to apply thermal paste ??

Conflicting with RAM is why I think the single tower models would have been better than the dual tower one you tried.

Being that your case is not a low profile one, there is no need to limit yourself to low profile coolers. Noctua has other options that work far better than the low profile models.

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-c14s

https://noctua.at/en/nh-l9x65

The plastic decorative cover on the ram sticks can be removed easy enough. Then the cooler won't hit the ram sticks. I had to do that myself, with my old system. You only have to do that to the leftmost stick. Edited by sfojimbo
i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Well, I have a BAD heat problem. While flying over London today, in drone mode, I hit 115C

I immediately got out of the sim. Scared to go back. Not sure if the drone/camera mode is what caused it

0003.jpg

That makes me wonder if there is a fault with the 'lid' on the cpu. The 'lid' is the metal part you see on the top of the cpu which the cooler sits on and contacts to take heat away. There have been reports on other (not the 10700) intel cpus a year ago or more where they did not have enough paste between the 'die' (the actual cpu) and the lid and there are special tools available to 'delid' cpus so that extra paste can be installed between the die and the lid. I think that the 10700 might be actually soldered (the 8700 and 9700 are) and perhaps the soldering does not completely cover the 'die'.

Consider taking the PC back to where you purchased it and get them to do a 'stress test'. Take your figures to show them what is happening.

With temperatures like you are getting maybe the best of coolers will not work effectively.

John

That makes me wonder if there is a fault with the 'lid' on the cpu. The 'lid' is the metal part you see on the top of the cpu which the cooler sits on and contacts to take heat away. There have been reports on other (not the 10700) intel cpus a year ago or more where they did not have enough paste between the 'die' (the actual cpu) and the lid and there are special tools available to 'delid' cpus so that extra paste can be installed between the die and the lid. I think that the 10700 might be actually soldered (the 8700 and 9700 are) and perhaps the soldering does not completely cover the 'die'.

Consider taking the PC back to where you purchased it and get them to do a 'stress test'. Take your figures to show them what is happening.

With temperatures like you are getting maybe the best of coolers will not work effectively.

I agree 100%, in fact, that PC is now shut down and I am going to be sending it back. I wonder if there is ANY paste on it.

I am on my older PC, hoping the views of London will still be good.

I suspect that your CPUID is reporting it wrong.

I have the same CPU as you, and my 1080ti isn't a lot more powerful than your 1660; flying over Manhattan my CPU usage (reported by MSI) is 16% and the temp is 53°.

If CPUID is reporting correctly for you, you must have a bad CPU.

oops, while writing this, you came to the same conclusion.

Edited by sfojimbo
i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

I agree 100%, in fact, that PC is now shut down and I am going to be sending it back. I wonder if there is ANY paste on it.

I am on my older PC, hoping the views of London will still be good.

If the paste was missing, it would have been obvious when you tried installing the tower cooler.

What utilities are available from Asrock for the motherboard? Might want to see what they have for checking the temps to verify them.

If the paste was missing, it would have been obvious when you tried installing the tower cooler.

What utilities are available from Asrock for the motherboard? Might want to see what they have for checking the temps to verify them.

When I went to install the Tower Cooler (along with help) we found out that it would not fit. Did not even make it to taking the old one off.

I am sending the new rig back. I am not sure where the problem is.

As far as the temps being accurate, I was also using C.O.R.E. as well, the results were identical.

As the stock heatsinks from Intel come with thermal paste already applied, I'm not sure the issue is a lack of paste. Might be a case of the heatsink not being properly mounted though.

You are correct (as I found out).

I took the old one off, saw that there was indeed paste on it :)

Then I installed the NH-L9x65 low profile cooler, fired up the sim, took the same flight through London, temps got up to 87 (spike), but that was it.

Hoping this continues to work :)