Joystick is wonky and making MSFS unplayable!

Hi all, newcomer here from KCLE.

Bought and downloaded MSFS 2020 the other day and started to put it through its paces. Found out there was no built-in profile for my MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick but could manually assign the buttons its axis controls.

The problem, however, is that the in-game response to my joystick maneuvering is overwhelmingly exaggerated and by no means realistic in the least. I've tried toying around with the sensitivity and reactivity settings, all to no avail. This is sadly making the game unplayable for me, unless I pony up for a new joystick (been eyeing Thrustmaster T16000M), but I don't even know if that will work either?

Anybody else running into similar issues? Particularly with the FFB2 joystick?

Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Bought and downloaded MSFS 2020 the other day and started to put it through its paces. Found out there was no built-in profile for my MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick but could manually assign the buttons its axis controls.

The problem, however, is that the in-game response to my joystick maneuvering is overwhelmingly exaggerated and by no means realistic in the least. I've tried toying around with the sensitivity and reactivity settings, all to no avail. This is sadly making the game unplayable for me, unless I pony up for a new joystick (been eyeing Thrustmaster T16000M), but I don't even know if that will work either?

I'm using a gamesir gamepad with analog sticks, and I have the same problem. No matter how I calibrate them, or adjust the sensitivities, they're way to sensitive.

Have you checked to see if flight model is set to modern or legacy?

You want it on modern.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I've flown nearly 100 hours in msfs and spent hours on sensitivity settings for my Attack3 stick. I've got it to work to a point, but even at -99% sensitivity, the elevator is way to twitchy to land properly and ailerons move from 50% to 100% deflection with half a millimetre of movement.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Just my opinion, and here I am suggesting how YOU spend YOUR money - LOL - but the Logitech Flight yoke system with throttle quadrant (MSRP about $170) was the very best flight sim purchase I've ever made. It is obviously flight sim specific, unlike a good joystick, but IMHO it's worth it.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

I am using the Thrustmaster T 16000M stick in MSFS without problems. The sim even includes standard button assignments.

I agree. The T 1600M works fine.

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Just my opinion, and here I am suggesting how YOU spend YOUR money - LOL - but the Logitech Flight yoke system with throttle quadrant (MSRP about $170) was the very best flight sim purchase I've ever made. It is obviously flight sim specific, unlike a good joystick, but IMHO it's worth it.

Oh, I don't doubt it, but I also play space sim games and some old combat sim games, some of which use force feedback and they're loads of fun. I'd rather keep trying to make my joystick work and, from what I can gather, my issue is certainly not an isolated case as MANY users report the same problems. This tells me it's something in the software.

Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Have you checked to see if flight model is set to modern or legacy?

You want it on modern.

Regards

Steve

This is new info, I don't know anything about this. Where do I go to find and change the flight model?

I had the old MS Sidewinder 2 FFB joystick and used it for a good 4 months before I got the Honeycomb Alpha yoke.

The stick worked just fine for me after I mapped out the controls which was a royal pain in the ass.

Have you recalibrated your stick for your computer?

....Signature not required for delivery....

**i7-9700k @ 3.60GHz, GeForce RTX 2070 Super, ROG Strix Z390-E, 32gb G Skill 3200 C16, 1 TB Pcie SSD, 850w Power**

**Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Logitech Throttle, Logitech Pedals**

I also use a Thrustmaster though I think it's a different model than the others. Like them though, it works great. Currently $160 on Amazon though I think I got mine for $130.

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-One-xbox/dp/B07643TW2V/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=thrustmaster+hotas&qid=1613142624&sr=8-2

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

I use also a FFB2 joystick. No problems with MSFS2020. My joystick was recognized.

But don't use the standard FFB in the program. It is no good.

Make sure the joystick is configured in windows properly.

Download Airforceplayer (beta)

Replace the simconnect xml or alter the simconnect xml file with the appropriate lines for the airforceplayer.

Should work, have fun.

The FFB 2 is a real good joystick, don't replace it.

Waviateur

I use also a FFB2 joystick. No problems with MSFS2020. My joystick was recognized.

But don't use the standard FFB in the program. It is no good.

Make sure the joystick is configured in windows properly.

Download Airforceplayer (beta)

Replace the simconnect xml or alter the simconnect xml file with the appropriate lines for the airforceplayer.

Should work, have fun.

The FFB 2 is a real good joystick, don't replace it.

Waviateur

Did all of that and it's still no good. Did you have to adjust sensitivity/reactivity settings? I don't know what I'm not doing right. Hopefully Microsoft will issue a fix because it seems to be a widespread issue. Did they release any kind of statement?

I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!

I feel like an idiot, but I used the wrong bindings! I was supposed to assign the AXIS bindings instead of the SURFACE bindings! (Surface being "Rudder Left" or "Elevator Up", etc). I simply cleared out the wrong bindings, scanned the axis bindings to to the appropriate joystick axis and presto! It worked!

This little post on reddit solved it for me:

I KNEW it had to be something so simple, but obviously a lot of people are having the same problem I did.

If you're one of them, here's the...

TL;DR

Bind your joystick axis to the AXIS controls and not the surface controls and your joystick will work as it's supposed to.

Here is a pic of the 'best' settings for the joy sensitivities. Notice there is '0' dead zone(s). And you don't WANT more then 19% sens. Hope this helps.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

you don't WANT more then 19% sens. Hope this helps.

I set my sensitivity to 60% and from reading other posts, I believe most others here are doing about the same. How did you come up with 19%?

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Options/Controls/Miscellaneous. Check on the Flight Model box and it'll show what you are set on. If it's not Modern just click on the arrow to change it, Save your changes and try again.

Another idea - try going to your joystick manufacturers website to see if there are any updated drivers specific for whatever Windows version you're using.

Options/Controls/Miscellaneous. Check on the Flight Model box and it'll show what you are set on. If it's not Modern just click on the arrow to change it, Save your changes and try again.

Another idea - try going to your joystick manufacturers website to see if there are any updated drivers specific for whatever Windows version you're using.

Thanks, but I already resolved the issue. I apparently wasn't supposed to bind the joystick movements to left/right or up/down but the axis. Poor interface on Asobo's part.

I have a CHpro yoke and pedals and I have the same problem. The sim for me is unusable.

I've had all the flight sims since FS95 and have never had this control problem.

I made a screenshot showing the binding settings seen here. This is where I made my mistake (and, I suspect, many others). I hope this helps.

axis bind.jpg