MSFS 2020 HAm Radio DMR Talk Group

Tiger Moths.jpgFor all Ham Radio nutters, I have started a new Talk Group on TGIF prime network, it is TG 787 (of course) and is available to all licensed Ham Radio operators with DMR access, if you have never used Prime.TGIF it is fairly simple and there are online helps to get there, I can be found often on 2350 TGIF prime or Brandmeister 2350 and can always switch over to 787 TGIF Prime for a more concentrated chat.

I am guessing a fair few hams are into Flightsimming. For more info can get me jrdale"at"netidea.com

Edited by jrdale210

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Oculus Rift 2 Virtual Reality headset.

Interesting.. but I personally wouldn’t have the time.

73 Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Since I'm one of the old-school guys who believes that real Ham Radio is best done with stacked 6-element mono-banders on 100' towers, I'll have to pass.

P.S. And the preferred mode is CW. As my son has always said "real men don't use microphones".

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Since I'm one of the old-school guys who believes that real Ham Radio is best done with stacked 6-element mono-banders on 100' towers, I'll have to pass.

P.S. And the preferred mode is CW. As my son has always said "real men don't use microphones".

-.-., --.- -.-., --.- Heard that a lot back in dem olden days! Especially on 11 meters hi freq single sideband. (sorry, used a microphone)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Wow! Thanks for the memories from Kentucky Fried Chicken Three double-Five Nine. Anybody else remember when CB required call signs? That was mine and I confess that I, too, used a microphone in dem olden days. But that was back in 1960. I was still a teenager, and didn't know any better :-).
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Don't forget that real men don't fly flight simulators also, just real plane alone. I like both. Not sure what the point of " I will pass " is anyway, it was an informational message on flights not a survey!

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Sigh.....

In the late 40's, when in high school, I was OZ8JO running a homebuilt AM transmitter with an 807 final on 80, 40, and 20m bands. Got interested in SSB, but never made it because I got too busy with engineering school in the early 50's. Those were fun days!

Thanks - I don't even know if ham radio exists any more with internet and all.

It’s still going strong. I haven’t been on myself, for a long time but I know people who are regularly on the airwaves

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

My son owns Vibroplex and, as one in the business, he'll tell you it's still going strong.

• Founder
My son owns Vibroplex and, as one in the business, he'll tell you it's still going strong.

Your son owns Vibroplex. Wow...

Talk about a company with a great history. For those not familiar with radio or telegraphy look it up!

I own a couple of Vibroplex bugs, including a 1906 model, more for the history than for my ability to use them!

And it's true, though radio has evolved it's still a very active thing with lots of participants and many different aspects to enjoy. Getting licenses years ago was one of the best things I ever did.

LOL. Google "DMR".

It's the latest and greatest part of ham radio. For a small investment you can speak with others from all over the world, anytime of the day or night, and it's ALL because of the internet.

I used to do packet radio. I remember back in the late eighties/early nineties when I only had a novice licence. I once sat on my car, parked up on a hill, with an Atari pocket pc, a Kamtronics TNC & a handheld Yaesu rig.

By connecting to several nodes... I managed to have a conversation with someone in St.Petersburg!!

Of course that’s nothing nowadays with the internet etc, but as a novice radio ham I was over the moon (I then got my full licence a bit later)

Regards

Steve

Nels opined above "I own a couple of Vibroplex bugs, including a 1906 model". Now it's my turn to say wow. Hang on to that one. They are very, very rare. Especially if it's all-original. And very pricey also (around USD$2000 depending on condition). I had a chance to tour the battleship Missouri a few years back and there in a glass case was a Vibroplex bug. It was the actual key used to transmit the news of the Japanese surrender in WWII. Just one of the many Vibroplex legends. 73...Doug Edited by W2DR
kant spel

Just in case anyone reading this thread wonders what the Vibroplex bug is I'll post a quick pic. It's the sideways key system for sending Morse Code at very high speed. I never got past 5 wpm and a technician license. Never renewed it when it expired! :(

Kudos to your son, Doug! :)

download.jpeg

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

It's the sideways key system for sending Morse Code at very high speed.

You can send slowly with it, too. :pilot::cool:

Here is my Vibroplex, attached to my Yaesu 767.

DSC_2812_sm.JPG

Closer:

DSC_2816_sm.JPG

I don't do much CW, but this is nice when I do.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

• Founder

I've never been a fan of chrome for this sort of thing; you just look at it and it's covered with fingerprints!

Give me the old style with the dark black paint.

So here is my 1906 model, s/n 1775. If you've read anything about Vibroplex you probably know the name Tom French; this is from his collection:

vibroplex.jpg

vibroplex2.jpg

"Give me the old style with the dark black paint." Me too! That's a real jewel Nels. It doesn't look like there has been anything added/changed/cleaned etc. And that's the way it should be. Just think of all the stories sent around the world with that key. Great stuff....... Edited by W2DR
kant spel

• 1 year later...
Wednesday 8pm Pacific time DMR 737 ---check it out sometime on Brandmeister and while there are many ways to chat while you either fly or dream about the next item to purchase, Ham Radio DMR is just one and we might try to make it a Wed Net.

Great to see this thread on the Forum...Three things I always wished I could do when I was growing up: Be a pilot, a ham radio operator, and fly a B-17. Luckily, I eventually earned a pilot's license and ham licenses, but never flew a real Flying Fortress. However, with MSFS, a virtual trip remains a real possibility...

What got my attention about this thread is the relationship I believe exists between pilots and hams. I've always believed both are attracted by things like watching needles move about dials and spinning knobs on panels...Two of my favorite pastimes...From the responses here, I'm pleased to learn I may have some kindred spirits on the Forum...

Years ago, I earned a Advance ham license, after quite a bit of earlier time spent on a (telegraphy) key. I eventually bought a Vibroplex and really enjoyed working other hams with it. I never sent very fast, but to hook up with another ham at the same moderate speed, using the Vibroplex, was like a "dance," back and forth, with your finger gently taping the paddle like "dancing to a rythm."...I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience?...

Lee Graves

(Private Pilot (ASEL), Instrument Rating, Advanced Ground School and Instrument Ground School ratings)

(Ryzen 5 3600 cpu; ASUS ROG B-550-F MB; 32 GB Corsair memory; GeForce 2060 video card; Sabrent 1 TB SSD; ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor; Updated Win 10; ANTEC case)