A320 High Crosswind Landing

BillD22

In these FS2020 shots an Azores Airlines A320 is landing at Santa Maria Airport (LPAZ) on the island of Santa Maria in the Azores using the real world weather for LPAZ today.

[Click on the shots for a full screen view]

Cleared to land on Runway 36. The tower reports the wind at 310/21 knots giving us a pretty good left crosswind. Checking our POH we see the A320 crosswind limit is 33 knots so should be no problem.

LP1.jpg

Blowing from left to right in these shots the wind requires a 5-10 degree crab to the left all the way down to just before touchdown to keep our ground path lined up with the runway. In the landing gear shot you can see the windsock standing straight out as we're about to touchdown. At this point we'll take out the crab and put the nose on the centerline as we touch down.

LP2.jpg

LP3.jpg

LP4.jpg

LP5.jpg

Touchdown and correcting to the right to follow centerline.

LP6.jpg

LP7.jpg

Spoilers and reversers deployed.

LP8.jpg

LP9.jpg

Welcome to beautiful Santa Maria!

LP10.jpg

Edited by BillD22

Beautiful camera work Bill! Love crabbing, though I'm not all that great at it yet.

PRACTICE!! What's wonderful about a sim is you usually don't have to pay for your practice time. Nor for your mistakes while practicing!!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Those major x-wind landings are always fun, not! Nice job and great shots :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]