I Shall Persist . . . .

I plan to post a six-month critique of MSFS soon, highlighting both the good and the execrable.

Meanwhile, I couldn't resist posting this screenshot, which illustrates perfectly my major beef with MSFS.

No pilot ever saw this . . . .

Tanzania washout.jpg

Meanwhile, I couldn't resist posting this screenshot, which illustrates perfectly my major beef with MSFS.

From your posts I've read, think you are seeing many visual aspects other people are not and I totally agree with you.

The forums everywhere have become very quickly controlled and are giving a very biased impression of MSFS.

If this sim was totally bug free, totally feature packed, don't think I could spend 5 minutes on it simply because the visuals are that bad.

If Microsoft paid me the purchase price of MSFS I would spend an hour on it. That's the only way I would touch it. I wouldn't even install it if it was a free game.

Edit: Oh, I'm struggling to even look at screenshots any longer to be honest. There comes a point one can view only so many wide angle/perspective distorted images before one goes insane! lol

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

hi could you possibly tell a new flight simmer how to get screen shot without instruments showing i can do the screen shot bit but cant do it without dials showing cant find it in a search .thanks

Go into settings... general.. & click the camera tab. Look for “Instrument Heads-Up Display (HUD)” - you can turn it on/off

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

“don't think I could spend 5 minutes on it simply because the visuals are that bad”

Mark, I genuinely don’t know how you can say that. The visuals are better than anything we’ve had before. I can’t remember how bad FS9 was (or whichever old sim you are still using) but FSX certainly had shimmering and blurry textures.

The scenery in the new MSFS is the best we’ve ever had, surely even you would agree?

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

hi could you possibly tell a new flight simmer how to get screen shot without instruments showing i can do the screen shot bit but cant do it without dials showing cant find it in a search .thanks

You could also use the drone camera. It's slightly tricky to use, but worth it. Almost any youtube tutorial will show you how, if you're interested.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

+1 on KiloWatt's advice to use the drone camera. Much more flexible.
I-7 9700 OC to 4.7Ghz, MPG 2390 Mobo, 32 Gig ram, Dark Rock Pro fan, 1-TB SSD, 4-TB rotating drive, RTX 2070 Super, LG 34" curved monitor, Honeycomb Yoke and Throttle quadrant, Windows 10.​

The scenery in the new MSFS is the best we’ve ever had, surely even you would agree?

Regards

Steve

Steve, no.

If something looks closer to real life does not mean it is better or more appealing if it's not done in the right way.

Consistent quality across the world is also incredibly important to me. I don't want my flight sim to be American Flight Simulator.

Finally, OMG the clouds are terrible!

Honestly, you would have to pay me an hourly rate to use MSFS.

FS9 is certainly not perfect but it's a consistent representation across the planet and the clouds look like clouds.

On top of all that, it actually works as a flight simulator as well! lol

Mark Daniels

I don't want my flight sim to be American Flight Simulator.

I always thought Xplane scenery looked American. The roads didn’t look right & the buildings certainly didn’t. Admittedly some European houses do look American in MSFS but it’s not the case everywhere. The default scenery is so much more detailed than anything I’ve seen before. Personally I’d have preferred them to use Google maps rather than Bing Maps but... it’s constantly being updated and so is MSFS.

How’s this for detailed scenery... last night I was flying over Pendle Hill in Lancashire (UK) when I spotted what looked like giant poppies painted on the side of the mountain. I’ve been to Pendle Hill a few times in real life (although not for 3 or 4 years) and I’ve never seen them!

I googled it & it appears the poppies have been there since 2018.. MSFS taught me something there!

I’m sure you’ll give in & get MSFS at some point, without you being paid to use it LOL

You don’t want to miss out after all :)

Regards

Steve

thanks guys for the useful information well skywatcher don't really know what you want all i can say is some people are hard to please and some are never satisfied if you dont like the visuals in the game don't play simples, I personally love the game and am getting into it which I never did with fsx I seemed to be constantly trying to improve the visuals, cost me a fortune ,seriously this sim is terrific and how you can cry it down is beyond me I am 75yrs old and been using computers for gameing a long time and this sim is the best i have ever seen, you know a lot of the time people blame the sim and half the time the user settings are not right or poor computer specs trying to run at too high settings this as all been said before sorry but I disagree with what you say but everyone is entitled to there opinion right or wrong lol

Well said Apollo212. Mark you're entitled to your opinion, but I wonder why the need to keep repeating it? What do you expect the rest of us to DO about it?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

It looks like a nuclear device went off in the background?

One of the first rules of photography is: "don't point your camera at the sun".

(Lest the little photons get confused when they hit your lens and go every which way)

Edited by sfojimbo
i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Have you submitted all your findings to Zendesk? Maybe instead of just griping here to a place that Asobo more than likely doesn't visit, you might want to submit support tickets about all your troubles?
Thermaltake Ryzen Gen 9 3900x 12 cores, 4.6 ghz 32 gig of Ram, Liquid Cooled Everything.

This game is awesome. The graphics are amazing. The clouds are incredible, not to mention the experience of flying VR through them during a thunderstorm when you can hear the thunder, which corresponds with lightning, which is specific to locations of actual clouds around you. I can't even grasp how much work it took to program those effects into the game. Wow.

I've been to some obscure places around the world so I've pushed MSFS to its graphics limits by visiting them here, and yeah, there are let-downs. These are tiny corners of the planet that aren't on people's radars, so it's understandable that the company hasn't built them up just yet. But there are always add-ons to look forward to. And the popular locations to fly through are, again, incredible.

I understand that some people genuinely hate everything about this game, because they see it completely differently. The sim is not for everyone, like anything in the universe.

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Steve, no.

If something looks closer to real life does not mean it is better or more appealing if it's not done in the right way.

Consistent quality across the world is also incredibly important to me. I don't want my flight sim to be American Flight Simulator.

FS9 is certainly not perfect but it's a consistent representation across the planet and the clouds look like clouds.

Yes, consistently artificial. ALL of the scenery in FS9 and FSX is rendered as an approximation to the real thing. This was great for its time, and If that's good enough for you, fine -- I want everybody to have a sim they enjoy. For me, the ultra-realistic MSFS scenery, weather, and feel of flying blows everything before it out of the water -- not even close. I am however puzzled by your thing with the clouds in MSFS, which you have raised several times in the past and which to me are the closest I have seen to real clouds in any sim. This is "a puzzlement" as they say in Gilbert and Sullivan.

I couldn't resist posting this screenshot, which illustrates perfectly my major beef with MSFS.

Maybe the pilot of the Enola Gay did?

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I plan to post a six-month critique of MSFS soon, highlighting both the good and the execrable.

And what beef is that?

And yes, no pilot has ever seen this, because pilots typically look forward, and don’t see their own aircraft while looking backwards.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

Steve, no.

I've never used something where I could navigate so accurately without using GPS or nav aids. I haven't had time to look everywhere in the globe, and i'm sure it's not perfect from place to place, but neither was FS9 and very simple graphics.

All of that aside, why do you still come here to moan and groan about something you don't use? We get it, your opinions and FS9 are superior to our opinions and MS2020. But who cares? What does it matter? Stick with what you like and just be happy about it? I've never seen someone be so consistently bitter about something they don't use. Move on with your life. Drink a glass of water and go outside.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

And what beef is that?

And yes, no pilot has ever seen this, because pilots typically look forward, and don’t see their own aircraft while looking backwards.

Right. But that's what MSFS often looks like from the pilot's seat when the sun is anywhere ahead of you. I have other screen shots from the cockpit view showing the same phenomenon. And BTW, if the pilot were in a second plane looking back at mine, my screenshot is exactly what that pilot would see.

The "major beef" is that the MSFS palette is generally "overexposed." I know that some here disagree. But, as Groucho might say, "Who are you gonna believe -- them or your lyin' eyes?" I have screenshots I have modified in Picassa to compare with originals, but alas! the dramatic difference does not come through when reduced and uploaded to this forum. But you don't need those. Just look at, for example, the screenshots when you're waiting for MSFS to load. Like the Cessna 172 in the mountains with the glacier. I'm not saying that the real world never looks like this. I'm just saying it's a pretty smoggy day depicted!

Don't get me wrong. As I indicated in the OP here, there are many terrific aspects of MSFS. Best of all, I would say, is the scenery in general: cityscapes, airport environment (grass!), rendering of mountains, etc. These are an order of magnitude ahead of FSX/P3D (I don't know X-Plane), and are why I have switched over. But I am right about the overexposure. And, as someone else here has said, the clouds are terrible, at least in comparison to P3D with Rex SoftClouds added. The clouds in MSFS look like those in the intro to "The Simpsons." (Check it out!)

From your posts I've read, think you are seeing many visual aspects other people are not and I totally agree with you.

The forums everywhere have become very quickly controlled and are giving a very biased impression of MSFS.

If this sim was totally bug free, totally feature packed, don't think I could spend 5 minutes on it simply because the visuals are that bad.

If Microsoft paid me the purchase price of MSFS I would spend an hour on it. That's the only way I would touch it. I wouldn't even install it if it was a free game.

Edit: Oh, I'm struggling to even look at screenshots any longer to be honest. There comes a point one can view only so many wide angle/perspective distorted images before one goes insane! lol

Always glad to get some agreement, but you're more negative than I am. (See my other recent reply in this thread.) Of course, you may have a somewhat different complaint than I do, but if the problem is what I have called "overexposure," one fix is to add lots of clouds and/or fly in early morning or late afternoon.

Everybody here wants to know "Then why do you use it if you hate it so much." You sound like a disgruntled employee ragging on your boss. Or, there is more to your rants than you are letting on? Are you possibly a spy from one of the other flight simulator companies trying to dismay other possible flight simmers from buying MSFS 2020? You are suspicious in my view.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

What I think is going on is this. To me, and I gather many others, MSFS has clearly inaugurated a whole new era of flight simulation. For various reasons, there are thoe who deny this, some of whom are quite vocal and persistent. One individual on this forum even asserts that FS9 -- which is now old enough to vote --is the greatest sim ever invented. Is he pulling our legs? Maybe -- who knows? But personally, I am moving on. Today I completed the 3rd leg of a bush tour of the west coasts of England, Wales, and Scotland that is so far beyond anything I ever experienced in FSX or any other sim, that I can hardly find words to describe it. To me, this is the reality of the situation, and it just totally eclipses all the noise from the peanut gallery. Moving on, indeed.