Contemplating getting FS11, how's my hardware look?

Hello all,

It's been almost 13 years, and perhaps some of you might recognize me (not sure if that's good!) If you do recognize me you'll know I am not new to MSFS, in fact far, far from it. I still have my MS DevCon badge from the '07 Seattle meeting! That was then, and this is now.

Anyway, I'm debating getting the latest version, but that will not happen until the flight control hardware I want is back in stock, however in the meantime I could use opinions on my machine. MS says it should be more than adequate, but I want to know from those using the Sim.

Dell XPS 8930 (8 months old)

Intel® Core™ i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz

32gb RAM

512gb SSD C: drive

2tb HDD

Nvidia GTX1050 w/ 4gb (yes, I know, even more = better!)

Many thanks for any opinions, and I'll see how this plays out!

Edited by DreamFleet1

Regards,

Lou Betti

http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/forum_banners/DF_BANNER_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Hi Lou and welcome back! You haven't listed your CPU but the only potential weak link you have listed is the GTX1050 4Gb - I have one and it limits me to running FS11 (love that title!) at Medium settings which gives me 18-20fps, it'll do for starters but you might want to upgrade pretty soon.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Many thanks! We'll see how long I stay back- LOL!

Anyway, the CPU is an Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Also edited my post to reflect that.

Not happy to hear about the video, MS said that was recommended, not minimum, but then again I have more than a passing familiarity with MS and what they say will work well. I used to buy a new machine with every new version. Back then, they paid for themselves!

Regards,

Lou Betti

Note that the recommended GPU is actually a GTX 970, which is more powerful than a GTX 1050. The first spec to look at with GPUs is the GPU itself, not how much VRAM it has.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013463459-Minimum-Recommended-and-Ideal-PC-Specifications-for-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator

Another important piece of info is what resolution are you looking to run it at? More than one monitor? 1080p is much easier on the GPU than 1440p, or higher. And while the sim doesn't fully support multiple monitors at the moment, it will at some point, which will also affect what you should be looking at.

Yes! MSFS2020 should have been called FS11.

I have the NVIDIA Gforce GTX 970 that I purchased with a gaming PC about 5 years ago. It works fine on FSX, but when I tried it on "FS 11", the temperature on the GPU shot up to over 80 degrees C. So I shut it down: Did not want to possibly damage the GPU. (But I had no stutters and decent FPS).

So until I buy a new gaming rig, I've gone back to FSX for now...

I have the NVIDIA Gforce GTX 970 that I purchased with a gaming PC about 5 years ago. It works fine on FSX, but when I tried it on "FS 11", the temperature on the GPU shot up to over 80 degrees C. So I shut it down: Did not want to possibly damage the GPU. (But I had no stutters and decent FPS).

So until I buy a new gaming rig, I've gone back to FSX for now...

That's still within the safe temp limits for the 970 (they can safely handle up to 98C), so no need for a new rig just for that reason alone.

I see from many internet postings that around 80C is about the max temp. esp. TOMS PC technical info on GTX970's. So I'll try it a few more times.

However, that's it running at FS 2020 minimum settings - so I think I may eventually get a better rig with updated hardware...

But thanks.

I see from many internet postings that around 80C is about the max temp. esp. TOMS PC technical info on GTX970's. So I'll try it a few more times.

However, that's it running at FS 2020 minimum settings - so I think I may eventually get a better rig with updated hardware...

But thanks.

Granted, those temperatures seem odd.

I also have a 970 (MSI). I overclocked it to 1516 MHz (stock is 1316) and turned up the fans to 100% if it goes over 60 degrees. Doing so makes it settle at 66 degrees celcius... I've never seen 70. So even though your temps may still be ok, it does seem a little high. Perhaps change the thermal compound and consider ramping up the fan speed?

And I agree, the framerates are pretty reasonable, with the appropriate settings. But holy crap, this game really spanks a 970. Hard! It's going full tilt the entire time. Even in the menu.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

Cooler temps are always preferable. However, if the GPU temps are stable and not climbing, then it shouldn't be an issue. Although you should also check the specs for the specific manufacturer's card, as the different cooling designs may have lower limits (to allow for quieter running, for example). Could also be an airflow issue in the case that wasn't entirely apparent until the GPU was pushed harder.

One major issue with the 970s was the way the RAM was setup, with the first 3.5GB running at the full stated speed, and the last 0.5GB running somewhat slower. This made them more of a 3.5GB GPU than a proper 4GB one, which is already somewhat limiting for modern games. Edited by loki

Well, so much for FS11 for now. Looks like nothing has changed over the years- LOL!

All I will add is that I do not have to run my monitor at its max of 2560 x 1440, of course. I do not even run it at that normally. Right now I have it at 2048 x 1152. It's a 32" Viewsonic. 20 years ago I used to pay $1100 for 21" Viewsonic CRTs, this one was $275!

Regards,

Lou Betti