Can genuine "metallic" / "reflective" textures be made? Does FS9 support them?

old_wombat

Well the title asks it all. I have this fabulous ancient X24 spacecraft, with excellent "ordinary" textures (pic 1). But the real X24 (pic 2) is made of shiny metal. So... can such metallic reflective textures be made? And if so, does FS2004 support them?

X24 MCX.jpg

X24 pic.jpg

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

Steve, I would say the answer is "Yes", you can get a shiny "metallic look". Here is an example of an FS9 model - the Payware CR1-Software Beech 18. It clearly shows a metallic finish, both as a chrome and a metallic green finish on the cowls.

Clipboard 1.jpg

The X-24A model is FS2002 vintage, and I'm not sure whether metallic finishes were possible or not, but in any case, I think a lot depends on the actual model (MDL) file. The other thing to note, is that screen-shots from ModelConverterX are not great for judging finishes, as the shaders do not represent what you see in the sim. For example, even though the image above (taken in MCX) shows chrome finishes, the windows are not transparent. In FS9, you see both chrome finishes and transparent windows. See the FS9 preview below:

Clipboard 4.jpg

Paul,

from Winston Hills :cool:

Visit FSXMissionsHangar.com

For Missions in FSX and P3D

I take it back - it seems that FS2002 did have the ability to have reflective and metallic textures. I've checked the Martin X-24A and yes, the texture file does have reflectivity, but it does not appear to show when rendered. So this suggests that the problem lies with the model (MDL) file. A good tutorial (for FS2002) on reflective textures can be found here:

http://www.oregon-coast-3d.net/FS2002/simple.html

It says the when exporting from gMax using makemdl.exe you need to have the HasReflectMap box checked. Maybe the creator of the X-24 forgot to do this?

Paul

Visit FSXMissionsHangar.com

For Missions in FSX and P3D

Well the title asks it all. I have this fabulous ancient X24 spacecraft, with excellent "ordinary" textures (pic 1). But the real X24 (pic 2) is made of shiny metal. So... can such metallic reflective textures be made? And if so, does FS2004 support them?

Hi Steve, yes FS2004 does support reflective textures through the Alpha Channel in the texture. If you open the fuselage texture with DXT2BMP, you'll see that the Alpha Channel probably has a light grey tint or grey tinted image in it. If you edit it to make it much darker, the fuselage will appear to be shinier. Solid Black gives a high polished chrome finish, so you want a dark grey to give a dull shine as seen in the pic of the real thing.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I vaguely remember that the American Airlines DC-10 livery provided by HJG has the shiny thing built in, so yes, it is possible

Where "metal finishes" are concerned (among other things .... including the like dirt and weathering too) different people like different things .... appreciably ;)

HJG artists each use their own "non-chrome-like" metal texturing (since 2006 at least) though to aim for/replicate a more natural polished metal appearance ....

3LvqLOW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SIKqNEu.jpg

.... BUT .... they completely avoid the "Chrome Look" .... simply because whilst aircraft surfaces tend to be shiny/reflective after polishing (these dull down quickly whilst in service though) they're certainly not chrome or chrome-like in appearance.

The Chrome look is probably over doing things IMHO .... but again .... people like different things :)

Reflective metal textures really started coming into vogue with FS2002 .... one of the first (I recall) being a BAe 146 in AA livery but which was horrendously chrome-like in its appearance. People liked it at the time ... .probably because it was vastly different than anything else that's been done previously, but, I recall a lengthy debate about this sort of texturing on the HJG forum during 2002 (log lost given the changes of sever and forum transition prior to 2006) .... and most eventually agreed that whilst it "looked impressive" from an artistic standpoint it also tended to appear "un-natural" too .... so .... HJG artists have done what they've done, and they way they do it, since 2006

MRC

MRC

Edited by aerofoto
link fixing

looks pretty shiny to me

But definitely not chrome .... in the RW image I mean.

Your images of the HJG offered texture/s better demonstrate the groups "preferred finish/metal treatment" better than my own images do

And "YES" .... the "FS time of day and season" aspect of environmental influences will always dictate what's ultimately viewed .... and quite significantly too.

MRC

Edited by aerofoto

But definitely not chrome .... in the RW image I mean.

Your images of the HJG offered texture/s better demonstrate the groups "preferred finish/metal treatment" better than my own images do

And "YES" .... the "FS time of day and season" aspect of environmental influences will always dictate what's ultimately viewed .... and quite significantly too.

MRC

A different envmap is the big one as well. The above is the most reflective I’ve tried. Some love it, some hate it.

Cant see it from the inside much anyway. ;)

envmap is the big one as well

That's correct .... in regard to both the ENVMAP and some people liking, or disliking, it's influence over metal finishes.

Guess the result depends largely upon how FS artists compile their representation/s of natural metal surfaces .... since not everyone (including HJG artists too ... whom have been modifying their finishes only since around 2008/9) works according to the same theory.

Re the ENVIMAPI .... I replaced my own FS2004 ENVMAP years ago .... back around 2008 (I think it was downloadable from FS.COM) ..... and have, myself, been very pleased with the way in which it influences what I use in FS .... of course it's influence isn't over just metal finishes along, but, everything generally.

A few more images of metal finishes base on my above, and earlier, comments .... and using what I like to fly in FS ....

EO8942k.jpg

pVDP5TJ.jpg

1ipGM99.jpg

0G8fqUT.jpg

iKyoMpf.jpg

Efrripf.jpg

jb6R24q.jpg

YDGaEV3.jpg

MRC

Edited by aerofoto
link fixing