Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can genuine "metallic" / "reflective" textures be made? Does FS9 support them?

Default Can genuine "metallic" / "reflective" textures be made? Does FS9 support them?

Well the title asks it all. I have this fabulous ancient X24 spacecraft, with excellent "ordinary" textures (pic 1). But the real X24 (pic 2) is made of shiny metal. So... can such metallic reflective textures be made? And if so, does FS2004 support them?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X24 MCX.jpg   X24 pic.jpg  
    Steve from Murwilllumbah.

I'm not sure about this, but it depends on whether the texture developer wants to implement the shiny thing into their textures.

I vaguely remember that the American Airlines DC-10 livery provided by HJG has the shiny thing built in, so yes, it is possible.

Steve, I would say the answer is "Yes", you can get a shiny "metallic look". Here is an example of an FS9 model - the Payware CR1-Software Beech 18. It clearly shows a metallic finish, both as a chrome and a metallic green finish on the cowls.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard 1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	225107

The X-24A model is FS2002 vintage, and I'm not sure whether metallic finishes were possible or not, but in any case, I think a lot depends on the actual model (MDL) file. The other thing to note, is that screen-shots from ModelConverterX are not great for judging finishes, as the shaders do not represent what you see in the sim. For example, even though the image above (taken in MCX) shows chrome finishes, the windows are not transparent. In FS9, you see both chrome finishes and transparent windows. See the FS9 preview below:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard 4.jpg 
Views:	1947 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	225108

Paul,
    from Winston Hills

I take it back - it seems that FS2002 did have the ability to have reflective and metallic textures. I've checked the Martin X-24A and yes, the texture file does have reflectivity, but it does not appear to show when rendered. So this suggests that the problem lies with the model (MDL) file. A good tutorial (for FS2002) on reflective textures can be found here:
    http://www.oregon-coast-3d.net/FS2002/simple.html
    It says the when exporting from gMax using makemdl.exe you need to have the HasReflectMap box checked. Maybe the creator of the X-24 forgot to do this?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by old_wombat View Post
    Well the title asks it all. I have this fabulous ancient X24 spacecraft, with excellent "ordinary" textures (pic 1). But the real X24 (pic 2) is made of shiny metal. So... can such metallic reflective textures be made? And if so, does FS2004 support them?
    Hi Steve, yes FS2004 does support reflective textures through the Alpha Channel in the texture. If you open the fuselage texture with DXT2BMP, you'll see that the Alpha Channel probably has a light grey tint or grey tinted image in it. If you edit it to make it much darker, the fuselage will appear to be shinier. Solid Black gives a high polished chrome finish, so you want a dark grey to give a dull shine as seen in the pic of the real thing.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Xbox Series X, Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia RTX2060 6Gb, Logitech Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by old_wombat View Post

Yeah yeah, chrome it up! I love it.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have the x24 for FSX . . .

I vaguely remember that the American Airlines DC-10 livery provided by HJG has the shiny thing built in, so yes, it is possible
    Where "metal finishes" are concerned (among other things .... including the like dirt and weathering too) different people like different things .... appreciably

HJG artists each use their own "non-chrome-like" metal texturing (since 2006 at least) though to aim for/replicate a more natural polished metal appearance ....

.... BUT .... they completely avoid the "Chrome Look" .... simply because whilst aircraft surfaces tend to be shiny/reflective after polishing (these dull down quickly whilst in service though) they're certainly not chrome or chrome-like in appearance.

The Chrome look is probably over doing things IMHO .... but again .... people like different things

Reflective metal textures really started coming into vogue with FS2002 .... one of the first (I recall) being a BAe 146 in AA livery but which was horrendously chrome-like in its appearance. People liked it at the time ... .probably because it was vastly different than anything else that's been done previously, but, I recall a lengthy debate about this sort of texturing on the HJG forum during 2002 (log lost given the changes of sever and forum transition prior to 2006) .... and most eventually agreed that whilst it "looked impressive" from an artistic standpoint it also tended to appear "un-natural" too .... so .... HJG artists have done what they've done, and they way they do it, since 2006

MRC

MRC
    Last edited by aerofoto; 02-02-2021 at 04:10 PM. Reason: link fixing

Dunno, looks pretty shiny to me.

After a little wax and polish, she comes up very nice. Same shine, different sun angle. Looks more realistic to my eyes.

looks pretty shiny to me
    But definitely not chrome .... in the RW image I mean.

Your images of the HJG offered texture/s better demonstrate the groups "preferred finish/metal treatment" better than my own images do

And "YES" .... the "FS time of day and season" aspect of environmental influences will always dictate what's ultimately viewed .... and quite significantly too.

MRC
    Last edited by aerofoto; 02-02-2021 at 07:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast