Ybcs Cairns Aus

HoratioWondersocks

I Found this post in FScom.

The OP got no takers .

I have the same problem.

Any thoughts ,ideas ,work arounds etc........

YBCS !!!

Hello All,

I run FS2004 and FsNavigator with VOZ for the Australian Scenery. At Cairns YBCS I am missing the main runway in FsNav.

The secondary runway and all the Navaids are OK. It means that, when flying the B-737 or the A-320 I cannot enter a

course for an ILS to RWY15 in the FMS. The runway does appear in Fs2004 but not FsNav. Tried all I could... recreated

the database for FsNav, changed the AFCAD for YBCS to no avail. It is frustrating as I am a member of QVA, an Australian

Vitual Airline and my next Checkride to upgrade to CAT III just happens to be an ILS RWY15 at Cairns YBCS !!!

Cheers...Claude/Andy

Have you loaded the ADE/AFCAD file into one of those and checked that the runway is actually there?

If it is, I would try saving the file in that program (after making a backup!) and see if the runway appears in the FSNav database. Even if the compile screws up something else, you can always replace it with the original file after it's in the database.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Have you loaded the ADE/AFCAD file into one of those and checked that the runway is actually there?

If it is, I would try saving the file in that program (after making a backup!) and see if the runway appears in the FSNav database. Even if the compile screws up something else, you can always replace it with the original file after it's in the database.

Hello Tom

Thanks for your reply.

I must admit that my technical knowledge in these matters is somewhat limited.😏 ,So I am not quite what you are describing in your reply.

I have tried some things myself ,like reorganizing my add-on sceneries in what I think? Is the right priority ,unfortunately this had no effect on ybcs , but (I know not why)it did sort out another add-on problem at LIRF Rome. When trying to position my aircraft at runway 34 (I think it was 34) the plane would be positioned not on the runway but to one side of it. whether it was a result of my tinkering with scenery priorities I don't know, but now when setting up a flight from LIRF my aircraft is now positioned correctly on the runway.

Anyway back to YBCS ....just to confirm the main runway IS missing from FSnavigator (I tried running the FSNav database creator a few times but to no avail still no runway in FSNav. The runway IS visible in the SIM itself.

I can still create a flight plan from/to YBCS in FSNav but can only select the airport itself as a dep/arr point (Obviously as no runways present in FSnav to select.)

Anyway I hope all that makes some sense.

I did think I could disable this particular VOZ airport and just use the default fs9 offering ,but don't know how to do that.

I certainly don't want to disable all VOZ airports as that would of course give me the default YBCS but at the expense of losing all the wonderful VOZ offerings.

Cheers Andy.

Edited by HoratioWondersocks

There is a very nice Cairns here that has the main runway. I have used it. It is by a Daryl Fisher, from 2004. Search for him by name, you'll find the two downloads.

Hello down there from me up here.

I will check this out.

Question though..If I try this scenery, will i have to disable the VOZ version which is the problematic one.

Thanks Andy

Hello down there from me up here.

I will check this out.

Question though..If I try this scenery, will i have to disable the VOZ version which is the problematic one.

Thanks Andy

I honestly don't think its the VOZ CNS thats the issue. The ILS for runway 15 is there as I've 'flown' in and out of there many times (including real life as that's where my wife is from) with the VOZ version.

You said FSNav wasn't showing the ILS or course? Is that how QVA log there flights using FSNav? Or is it for the navigating part? I've never used FSNAv but I think you use it like a FMC / autopilot etc?

I have also used the other CNS airport but I don't think its exactly the same as the VOZ version which is very good I thought. The RWY 15 departures with the the 120 turn starting at 400ft is fun to fly and watch the real aircraft do it. Also fun sitting on the left hand side in real life as you get a great look at the mangroves on departure.

I honestly don't think its the VOZ CNS thats the issue. The ILS for runway 15 is there as I've 'flown' in and out of there many times (including real life as that's where my wife is from) with the VOZ version.

You said FSNav wasn't showing the ILS or course? Is that how QVA log there flights using FSNav? Or is it for the navigating part? I've never used FSNAv but I think you use it like a FMC / autopilot etc?

I have also used the other CNS airport but I don't think its exactly the same as the VOZ version which is very good I thought. The RWY 15 departures with the the 120 turn starting at 400ft is fun to fly and watch the real aircraft do it. Also fun sitting on the left hand side in real life as you get a great look at the mangroves on departure.

Hello There

Your right about FSNav I does function a little like an FMS.

I have used it for years . I don't interact with the fs9 ATC at all ,I just create my flight plan and go on merry way.

In the case of Cairns, if I zoom into that airport using Fsnav the display shows parking spots ,taxi ways etc ,and it even shows a smaller runway (which I believe reading these posts is no longer used). The problem is the main runway it is missing no graphical representation at all.

I have tried another version of Cairns mentioned in an earlier reply to this post (I can't remember the name offhand of the author) but that too does not display the main runway when using the FsNav.

PS the runway IS visible in the SIM itself.

I am just wondering now if there is a clash between these to representations?

I do notice that on the FsNav map display that seems to be two versions of Cairns shown one is labeled just Cairns and the other Cairns international airport.

Anyway I can probably live with it, but just means I can't create a flighplan either Into or out of Cairns using a runway as a starting or arrival point because that main runway is missing from FsNav.

As a workaround I can create a plan selecting Cairns airport itself as a takeoff or landing point ,but would have to choose a runway myself for landing .

I hope this makes some sense (Not sure if I understand it myself anymore.:)

PS the other version of Cairns I have tried (as recommended here is the version by Daryl Fisher) it's a good scenery but the problem persists ie no main runway display in FSNav.

So bothe Daryl's and VOZ versions have the same problem.

Cheers for now

Andy

Andy,

I've had Daryl Fisher's Cairns airport for years and it was therefore quite some years ago that I downloaded/installed it, which also means that there could have been some FSNav problems at that time but I do not remember any of them offhand. However, if there had then been any problems I would have solved them myself via Lee Swordy's very easy to use AFCAD program, may even have made a completely new Afcad file myself and based on the default situation. Not difficult at all.

Here are some of the basics for your understanding:

FSNav is not directly linked to FS9 but must, for correct functionality, remain synchronized with it at all times. E.g. You cannot edit something in an Afcad file and then expect to immediately see the change in FSNav. For this you need to run the FSNav Data Base Creation (DBC) function first.

If the header data of any default airport is different to that of the downloaded one, the FSNav DBC function will process each separately, resulting in duplicate airports on top of one another and visible in the FSNav display, as you have seen yourself. Even a simple spelling mistake in the new Afcad header data, e.g. in the airport's name, will result in duplicate airports. It is therefore absolutely necessary to always see to it that any new addon airport's header data is exactly the same as that of the existing default one.

The FSNav DBC function will only collect the basics, e.g. the runway(s), parking positions, navigational data, etc, from the default files while adding any new or edited data found in the addon higher priority Afcad files.

It therefore also follows that any completely new airport scenery, which did not previously exist in FS9 or which somehow had it's default data de-activated/removed, must include all related Afcad data. If not, then although, e.g. it's runway is actually visible in the scenery, the FSNav DBC will not see it and the runway concerned will therefore not show up in the FSNav display.

Well Andy, these are only a few of the basics involved but a very good tutorial is included in both the Afcad and ADE programs.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Hans

Andy,

I've had Daryl Fisher's Cairns airport for years and it was therefore quite some years ago that I downloaded/installed it, which also means that there could have been some FSNav problems at that time but I do not remember any of them offhand. However, if there had then been any problems I would have solved them myself via Lee Swordy's very easy to use AFCAD program, may even have made a completely new Afcad file myself and based on the default situation. Not difficult at all.

Here are some of the basics for your understanding:

FSNav is not directly linked to FS9 but must, for correct functionality, remain synchronized with it at all times. E.g. You cannot edit something in an Afcad file and then expect to immediately see the change in FSNav. For this you need to run the FSNav Data Base Creation (DBC) function first.

If the header data of any default airport is different to that of the downloaded one, the FSNav DBC function will process each separately, resulting in duplicate airports on top of one another and visible in the FSNav display, as you have seen yourself. Even a simple spelling mistake in the new Afcad header data, e.g. in the airport's name, will result in duplicate airports. It is therefore absolutely necessary to always see to it that any new addon airport's header data is exactly the same as that of the existing default one.

The FSNav DBC function will only collect the basics, e.g. the runway(s), parking positions, navigational data, etc, from the default files while adding any new or edited data found in the addon higher priority Afcad files.

It therefore also follows that any completely new airport scenery, which did not previously exist in FS9 or which somehow had it's default data de-activated/removed, must include all related Afcad data. If not, then although, e.g. it's runway is actually visible in the scenery, the FSNav DBC will not see it and the runway concerned will therefore not show up in the FSNav display.

Well Andy, these are only a few of the basics involved but a very good tutorial is included in both the Afcad and ADE programs.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Hans

Thank you Hans.

I will see if I can find the program (Lee Swordy )you mention.

Your explanation of what is happening and why I have two entries for YBCS is an interesting one, and my current issue with this particular airport I would imagine could well be down to what you descibe in your reply.

I will let you know in due course if I can fix it .

Just one other thing ,I have something similar with an a another freeware offering for Pulkovo ULLI, in this case though the runways display correctly in FSNav ,but there are no gates or parking displayed. I can still use the scenery though because as soon as you vacate the runway after landing you can request progressive taxi from ATC and it will direct you accordingly even though accordingly is invisible on the FSNav map display. :)

Again thanks for your help Hans.

Andy