FS2020 - Ultra-wide monitor questions

I am in the process of researching and buying hardware for a new Windows build to be used almost exclusively for FS2020. I am wondering about how ultra-wide displays work to display FS content.

If I consider a flat, 16:9 display to be "normal" and capable of displaying the full intended content of FS, how does an ultra-wide monitor with 21:9 or more ratio display content? Is the normal content stretched to fill the screen? Are the top and bottom of the 16:9 image cut off, leaving a shorter, wider image that can be scaled to the display size? I see some 49" ultra-wides for sale with 32:9 ratios. Would these in effect show only a narrow ribbon of the full vertical image, again with top and bottom cut off?

Just wondering how this works. I am certainly no display expert.

What I am trying to figure out is whether with an ultra-wide display in cockpit view showing the instruments, the remaining view out the windshield is reduced to a very small image. And whether there is really enough vertical screen space to show both instruments and a decent view out the windshield.

I understand that FS2020 does not support multiple monitors. So it would not be possible to have a second monitor just displaying the instrument panel, correct?

Thanks for any info/guidance.

Edited by ed1

I happen to be using a 21:9, 29', ultrawide for the last month or so (Christmas gift, yay). I don't recall what the cockpit view used to look while still using a 16:9, but I wouldn't want to go back for simming.

For fun, I've included two screenshots that I just made using the default camera settings and without panning the view at all. Hopefully it helps a bit.

Screenshot (24) j.jpg

Screenshot (23) j.jpg

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

Happy to help. From what I can tell compared to a 16:9, the vertical space isn't cut out, rather horizontal space is added. Stated differently, your horizontal field of view widens while retaining the same vertical field of view.

The reason I included the screenshots is for you to compare with what you have. If you have access to the steam gauge C172, reset your camera settings in the options menu and spawn into the game. Then, without panning, compare your view out of the cockpit with my screenshots.

If you don't have access to the steam gauge 172, let me know and I'll redo the screenshots with your aircraft of choice.

Hi, I purchased a 49 inch Samsung 3840 x 1080 monitor MSFS2020 COVERS THAT RESOLUTION. All you do is select that resolution. Its not a distortion its a view like your looking out the aircraft window. Make sure your computer can handle the Game.

Seems a 16:9 is what is cropping the ends of what a ultrawide/superwide user sees. ed1 you can still always pan in or out to adjust your view.

I'm deciding on a 21:9 or a 32:9 myself.

Your second screenshot answers a question I had, whether the HUD gauges move to the edges of the screen. With a 32:9 you would have to really look over to the sides to see them unless they can be moved closer to the center.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Seems a 16:9 is what is cropping the ends of what a ultrawide/superwide user sees.[H][/H]

Correct. A 21:9 merely adds to your peripheral vision. It does not seem to limit the vertical limits of your vision.

Hi, I purchased a 49 inch Samsung 3840 x 1080 monitor...

Hi jimmci

Could you please post the same screenshots (in 32:9) as above for comparison?

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Hi, I purchased a 49 inch Samsung 3840 x 1080 monitor MSFS2020 COVERS THAT RESOLUTION. All you do is select that resolution. Its not a distortion its a view like your looking out the aircraft window. Make sure your computer can handle the Game.

jimmci, I have read a number of posts about the 49 inch Samsung G9 curved monitor having flickering issues when used in sync (VRR) mode (GSync) at high resolutions. Is that the monitor you have, and if so have you had problems with it?

I'm considering the Samsung G9 49" curved monitor or maybe an LG 55" OLED flat TV. They're close in price. Hopefully, I don't get a spousal veto!

Edited by ed1

Hopefully, I don't get a spousal veto!

"An extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife."

Franklin Adams

(1881 – 1960) American columnist

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64