Visual Model Could Not Be Displayed (I know - Very old problem)

ac103010

I've been trying to install a couple of DC9's but getting the error in the title above. I know this is a very old problem but having read back the problem was never really resolved. At least, not in my case.

Yes, they're FS2002 models but alongside these I have another FS2002 DC9 which functions perfectly. I also have a number of other FS2002 models (an ATR42, for example) but these DC9's are the only ones I'm having problems with.

Why am I using FS2002's I hear you asking. It's because I want to populate my Spanish airports with Iberia and Aviaco aircraft of that vintage and there are precious few of those around built for FSX or even FS2004. So it's Hobson's choice.

Now here's the conundrum, my DC9 that works is a SGA model but the ones that don't are VANS. BUT, on checking, I find the model file in the SGA aircraft is actually the same model file that's in the VANS aircraft.

All the rest of the components, panel, air file, etc, etc seem to be ok. I have thumbnails in the texture folders.

Does anyone know the answer, please?

Many thanks.

Allan

I've been trying to install a couple of DC9's but getting the error in the title above. I know this is a very old problem but having read back the problem was never really resolved. At least, not in my case.

Yes, they're FS2002 models but alongside these I have another FS2002 DC9 which functions perfectly. I also have a number of other FS2002 models (an ATR42, for example) but these DC9's are the only ones I'm having problems with.

Why am I using FS2002's I hear you asking. It's because I want to populate my Spanish airports with Iberia and Aviaco aircraft of that vintage and there are precious few of those around built for FSX or even FS2004. So it's Hobson's choice.

Now here's the conundrum, my DC9 that works is a SGA model but the ones that don't are VANS. BUT, on checking, I find the model file in the SGA aircraft is actually the same model file that's in the VANS aircraft.

All the rest of the components, panel, air file, etc, etc seem to be ok. I have thumbnails in the texture folders.

Does anyone know the answer, please?

Many thanks.

Allan

Hi Alan,

I think you should bear in mind that just because one FS2002 aircraft works fine, it doesn't mean all will. Not least because many aircraft produced for a specific simulator were actually taking advantage at the time of MS's principle of backward compatibility allowed them to actually create the aircraft using tools for a previous incarnation. But generally it is possible to get FS2000 and FS2002 aircraft to work, even if they aren't the prettiest examples.

What I would check out first would be the configuration in the aircraft.cfg file. If the panel, sounds or textures are absent, the aircraft will not be listed in FSX which narrows down the options. Check and double-check the model= entry matches the model directory. Check the model.cfg inside the model directory and make sure that reads correctly.

Beyond that I think I would hold my hands up and admit defeat.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Hi John.

At long last I sorted the problem with my B727's. I looked in the texture folder for a thumbnail. And I found it, of course, so I thought it couldn't be that, that was causing my issue. I checked the file and it was, in fact, a jpg file, which is what it should be. But then I decided to open it in Ifanview and re-save it. And lordy, lordy, I have a flying aircraft.

But haven't sorted my DC9's out, so onto that problem next.

Thank you for your input. It will be useful.

Allan