ATTN: Real pilots and Sim pilots alike. Check out this gauge!

CRJ_simpilot

https://www.rhotheta.com/products/rt_600

I had no idea SAR, Coast Guard, etc had that capability in aircraft. In the product Info. PDF, this baby can scan a range from 118.00-470.00 MHz! And not just 123.5, 243.0 or SARSAT, but Lojack as well! LOL!

Edit-

It's operable to -30 degrees Celsius, -22 degrees Fahrenheit, so it may be limited in Alaska, North Dakota, etc during the very cold Winter. Here's a real world example. Tonight in North Pole (near Fairbanks), Alaska the temp will be -24 degrees Fahrenheit.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Yep, CAP* has been using Rhothetas for 20 years, or so, so that the (relatively) new 406 MHz ELTs can be DF'ed, that is, the device can do direction finding on those ELTs, though not on the older 121.5 MHz version, which is why they push to get the new(er) version into aircraft. The U.S. hasn't required them because of the cost of retrofitting the fleet, but many people have updated and I believe that they are standard equipment in new aircraft.

Of course it's expensive, but it often can be a lifesaver.

* Civil Air Patrol- for those not familiar, CAP does the vast majority of searching for downed aircraft within the U.S., and have since WWII. They also have a neat Cadet Program for youngsters.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

It's operable to -30 degrees Celsius, -22 degrees Fahrenheit, so it may be limited in Alaska, North Dakota, etc during the very cold Winter. Here's a real world example. Tonight in North Pole (near Fairbanks), Alaska the temp will be -24 degrees Fahrenheit.

That's for the instrument in the aircraft itself, so don't think that would be a big issue. The external antenna are rated to temperatures down to -40C for operation.

Ah, that makes sense then. Yeah, the antenna would be more immune then the circuitry in the gauge its self. I was wondering about that yesterday.

About CAP, when I was in JROTC a friend of mine was also in CAP and I was thinking of doing that, but I was also already a fire fighter explorer at the time and had all to do to attend those meetings in Fort Collins. As I live in Loveland, my parents had to drive me all the way up to Fort Collins to some fire station or the training center way up there near LaPorte. When I had Facebook I saw my old friend's account and he apparently works for LCSO now. I know his dad was a sheriff so it makes sense.

Had no idea that gauge was out that long. I knew CAP et al used DFing with a handheld and a type of handheld dipole though. Just like fox hunting in a way in amateur radio.

Speaking of DFing. I saw an interesting project using one or more SDRs and a Raspberry Pi for Doppler shift DXing. That looked really interesting but I think it has a ways to go. There's some slight issues with it right now I think. My Linux skills aren't the best so when I read about how to deploy it I was quickly overwhelmed. I got a Pi for Christmas and among all the things I don't know what I'll use it for. Was thinking PBX, ADS-B Exchange or just running Twister OS. I do want to use the API from ADS-B Exchange so I may provide a feed to save money. I have an idea in conjunction with IFTTT. Like, if an interesting aircraft passes by my lights flash on and of and a clown pops out of the closet with a horn. LOL! J/K. The light thing is totally possible though.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot