Do you people ever FLY with 2020??

I own 2020 along with several "sims" such as FS9, FSX, P3D, etc. As soon as I fired 2020 up I realized I don't like the single screen only available on 2020. Why is there only a single screen available? Why does 2020 not use sim formatted controls that have been standard for at least twenty years. 2020 was designed as a XBox style toy. IMO IT WAS NEVER INTENDED TO BE AN ACTUAL SIM AS THE REST ARE!

This afternoon since I'd already wasted my money, I thought hey, maybe I'll fly 2020 despite the fact it has only the one screen, IT MUST HAVE GOTTEN BETTER THAN I REMEMBERED. So I "fired it up!"

I then received 19.6 GB of "UPDATES!!! If I had chosen to spend my last summer building this toy, I could have been a Beta tester, but I didn't want to waste my time. IT SEEMS WE ALL ARE NOW "CHARLIE" TESTERS FOR THIS PRETEEN GAMER TOY!!

And how important were these updates? One that especially caught my eye was special recognition on aircraft for Alpha and Beta testers!!?? Aren't we all just "Charlie Testers" who wasted our money buying this thumb operated toy!

Sadly, Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Do you mean by “it only has one screen” that there is no multi-monitor support?

I agree this should be there, although they have said it will support multiple screens later (soon?)

In the mean time, you can run it in windowed mode & drag the screen across multiple monitors. Not ideal because the image can appear a bit stretched, but it still works .

I did it thus way for months (now using VR though)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I own 2020 along with several "sims" such as FS9, FSX, P3D, etc. As soon as I fired 2020 up I realized I don't like the single screen only available on 2020. Why is there only a single screen available? Why does 2020 not use sim formatted controls that have been standard for at least twenty years. 2020 was designed as a XBox style toy. IMO IT WAS NEVER INTENDED TO BE AN ACTUAL SIM AS THE REST ARE!

This afternoon since I'd already wasted my money, I thought hey, maybe I'll fly 2020 despite the fact it has only the one screen, IT MUST HAVE GOTTEN BETTER THAN I REMEMBERED. So I "fired it up!"

I then received 19.6 GB of "UPDATES!!! If I had chosen to spend my last summer building this toy, I could have been a Beta tester, but I didn't want to waste my time. IT SEEMS WE ALL ARE NOW "CHARLIE" TESTERS FOR THIS PRETEEN GAMER TOY!!

And how important were these updates? One that especially caught my eye was special recognition on aircraft for Alpha and Beta testers!!?? Aren't we all just "Charlie Testers" who wasted our money buying this thumb operated toy!

Sadly, Rupert

Sigh -- just when I thought the ranters and ravers with their UPPER-CASE and BOLDFACE tirades had disappeared, or at least had gone into hibernation. How naive I was!

Yes, many of us do actually fly MSFS, and have a ball doing it. I just completed a fantastic two-week trip across the USA in a Cub -- and to think I did it in a TOY!

I fly with it daily, and find it so engaging.

That said, it's truly unlike previous versions, and in that, I understand some of your frustrations.

I'm not all that fond on of the ATC, access to maps that provide information like navaids and their frequencies, etc.

It's just....different, but the more I experiment, the more I start to get the hang of it.

Don't give up on it yet despite it's flaws, which per it's relatively young age, I hope they will address as time goes on.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

I am not surprised that people are starting to get a little POed and its not just FS. The trend in general has been to release incomplete and bugged software. Hype various new hardware and then not have it in stock etc. and then when people are unhappy use the magic word covid.

The covid excuse itself is getting a little old. How can it be that every aspect of corporate America can be brought to a stand still except of course the billing departments. All billing departments still functioning at 100 percent capacity?????

I use it as my sole sim now. I just can't go back despite a few frustrations (most are down to me or my home cockpit setup and not the sim).

I use four monitors, 2 for external view and one each for the PFD and MFD.

I have it running better than any of my previous sims with better frame rates at a higger resolution, even with the four monitors.

You are not alone in having a frustrating start though, although there are answers to most problems on the various forums.

It does require a bit of patience but once sorted it is a joy to fly with.

Regards

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yep, I fly it just about every day. Love taking a 10 minute flight from KHEG to KJAX, done it dozens of times and I still enjoy it!

Now, do I still wish the bridges would get fixed and not look like dams?? Yes, but I still fly :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I suspect that this forum would have to start charging a membership fee to buy more memory storage if most of the 2 MILLION + owners of MSFS 2020 who ARE flying it and ARE pretty happy started responding to the 'naysayers'?

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Patience is all I can say. I have had it for only three weeks, and I am impressed overall (coming from FS9). Yes, I understand the frustrations and steep learning curve challenges. It is not perfect but manageable while the incremental bug fixing will bring it closer to what we want in a simulation. Don’t give up yet!

Sigh -- just when I thought the ranters and ravers with their UPPER-CASE and BOLDFACE tirades had disappeared, or at least had gone into hibernation. How naive I was!

Yes, many of us do actually fly MSFS, and have a ball doing it. I just completed a fantastic two-week trip across the USA in a Cub -- and to think I did it in a TOY!

Actually you've restated my point,

I am a real world pilot with far over 1,000 RW hours in various aircraft both fixed and rotary winged. Now that I'm 100% percent disabled I love to fly as close as I could for most of my life to RW! And using FS9, FSX, P3D etc. I could still do that using yokes, rudders, throttle quadrants, etc. which we always used while RW flying. I also could use three (3) monitors,one straight ahead, one to the left, and one to the right to look out to the world as I did and everyone even today does while RW flying.

My issue has nothing to do with those of you who "fly" with your gaming devices. It points out that every other form of MSFS allowed people who actually had in my case over 1,000 RW flight hours to "fly" aircraft we can no longer legally fly.

The real issue is they have gone away from the format of a Flight Simulator. They have decided "flight sim" is more profitable if they sell it as a toy.

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

And using FS9, FSX, P3D etc. I could still do that using yokes, rudders, throttle quadrants, etc. which we always used while RW flying.

You can use all of those with MSFS too.

I also could use three (3) monitors,one straight ahead, one to the left, and one to the right to look out to the world as I did and everyone even today does while RW flying.

As has been pointed out to you before, this is under development and is coming. While it may be critical to you, it isn't to everyone else, and not having it doesn't make it a toy.

Rather than calling it a toy, it would far more accurately be described as a new sim still under development. After all, did all previous versions in the MSFS series support multiple monitors? Were the older ones that didn't not worthy of being called a simulator?

No one ever said MSFS had to be everything to everyone, much like some prefer X-Plane and others like P3D. If it doesn't work for you, then no worries, go enjoy flying the one that does.

All of us come to this software application from totally different perspectives. Some are real pilots. Some (like me) are pure gamers who have never flown a real plane. Some are retired pilots. And everything in between.

I totally get it that Rupert has expectations of FS that aren't the same as ours, and for him that sucks on a personal level, much more than the game's technical flaws bother someone like me. Hopefully with time it will get better for you Rupert.

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

"And using FS9, FSX, P3D etc. I could still do that using yokes, rudders, throttle quadrants, etc. which we always used while RW flying. I also could use three (3) monitors,one straight ahead, one to the left, and one to the right to look out to the world as I did and everyone even today does while RW flying."

I don't understand the tense used in your complaint sir. There is nothing preventing you from still sim flying in your other sims of choice. Just not THIS one at THIS time...... yet. As to the multiple monitors? Heck, ditch the monitors and go full-on VR and never look back. Or... wait for Asobo to first clear up important functional issues before addressing purely cosmetic ones.

My yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals all function just fine & dandy in MSFS as I must assume do yours? And I simplified my life and use an IR head tracker rather than multiple monitors.

Although a tiny part of me suspects that you just might like whinging about MSFS? And that, while tiresome, is indeed your right. And always remember, MSFS 2020 is only a game, not a cure for a major illness and THIS is merely another internet forum open to all.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Actually you've restated my point,

I am a real world pilot with far over 1,000 RW hours in various aircraft both fixed and rotary winged. Now that I'm 100% percent disabled I love to fly as close as I could for most of my life to RW! And using FS9, FSX, P3D etc. I could still do that using yokes, rudders, throttle quadrants, etc. which we always used while RW flying. I also could use three (3) monitors,one straight ahead, one to the left, and one to the right to look out to the world as I did and everyone even today does while RW flying.

My issue has nothing to do with those of you who "fly" with your gaming devices. It points out that every other form of MSFS allowed people who actually had in my case over 1,000 RW flight hours to "fly" aircraft we can no longer legally fly.

The real issue is they have gone away from the format of a Flight Simulator. They have decided "flight sim" is more profitable if they sell it as a toy.

And MY point is that you can tell your story without the text equivalent of a rolling-on-the-floor-and-screaming tantrum. It will certainly be more likely to attract sympathizers if you simply follow normal conventions of decorum, maturity, and civility. But, your choice.

Coming from years of playing FSX, when I fly FSX, I pay more attention to my flying skills. Now I am attracted by the much more beautiful scenery in FS2020 and started to pay less attention in flying.

I want to see maximum scenery with real instruments on top. I can do that in 2D FSX by overlay instruments on outside view. FS2020 doesn't allow me to overlay real instrument on outside camera. If I switch to outside camera, my instruments look totally different than inside view. I wish to get back the FSX way - real instrument on outside view.

" I wish to get back the FSX way - real instrument on outside view."

Easy fix, go back to flying FSX? Other than that Asobo MSFS ain't FSX.

I have to say I am impressed with the new sim. I been flying MSFS since the early 90's. Started with an Atari 8 bit computer game version of it! And MSFS98, FSX. But this MSFS2020 this is pretty impressive. I tried the landing challenges and enjoyed them. I even landed the Caravan in Indonesia, on that tribal village hilltop landing strip, First time! Definitely felt the tension on approach. And they had to helicopter the AME's in to check the air frame for cracks!

The scenery is wonderful and I run it at high end setting with my rig. I tried running the default ultra high setting, but in some city settings, in the dense areas the frame rate slows down. I flew the Airbus from Montevideo, Uruguay across the Andes to Santiago, Chile on ultra high setting. Which worked fine for the most part from take off and cruise, but on the approach to landing the frame rate dropped way down and I had to predict where the plane would go with my inputs. but was able to land it barely. I found I was also able to get the auto pilot working at cruising altitude. But I had to hunt for the hidden spots on the panel to activate it. So it needs some adjustment by the development team. I was able to keep the Airbus on course on autopilot for a few hours. So it feel like the airliners might need further work.

I bought FSX Steam when I upgraded to windows 10 and its o.k. I do have FSX Acceleration in the CD's. As well I got tons of add-ons ie:, global mesh/ texture improvement and planes and I am toying with trying to reinstall it. Then do all the rebuilding and all the work involved. Or hoping FS2020 takes off and we see helicopters and more aircraft. Right now I feel it needs a few more up dates and some things that were in the old FSX brought over.

For example, in FSX you press shift z or shift x and you will get some red lettering your airspeed and wind direction at the altitude your flying, your frame rate. This show up a couple lines showing along the upper border of the screen. Which I kind of used as a heads up display upon approach. Its a little thing but would be nice to have back.

I not sure if I am doing something wrong in my settings for the hat switch. but you only get front views and side views. You cant be able to pan around and hold say at the 10:00 o'clock position when your turning in like in FSX. If you can do that, please let me know what step I am missing.

But again the landscapes and terrain features are awesome. I flew by Mount Fuji and you could see the trails people use to walk up to it. Like wow. Same as flying into areas of the world that I have visited. This sim is amazing for the graphic leap forward. That alone makes it hard to go back to FSX.

So first glance I am impressed, I would be very happy if they add a few helicopters, and transport plane like a C-130 Hercules, VTOL Harrier or Osprey. I sure we all have our wish lists. I understand the developers pushing out the door to make money. But it feels like its 3/4 done, and the last quarter is still in beta mode.

But the scenery and weather effect, I be happy to be flying the Caravan in and out of little strips in Indonesia, or anywhere else for a long time yet. Even if they don't improve it. But if they do listen to real world pilots who fly fs2020 and can spot the issues and errors and then ATTEND to them. Well then they will really have hit the ball out of the ball park with this version of MSFS, IMHO.

My rig:

AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Quad-core Processor 3.50 GHz, 24 GB RAM, 64 bit operating system, X64 based processor.

windows 10 pro, 19042.746, windows feature experience pack 120.2212.551.0

monitor: HP L2245 wg LCD monitor,

graphics card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060, 3GB,

Edited by casarabill

I seem to spend more hours twiddling with and tweaking msfs and my system than I do flying and spend loads of time test flying in the same area to see what effect my latest tweak has had. I was the same in FSX and FS9 though and probably in even earlier versions.

System tweaking, graphics tweaking, aircraft tweaking, environment tweaking, controller tweaking, scenery tweaking - is there no end to the amount of tweaking I have to do? :)

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I have to say I am impressed with the new sim. I been flying MSFS since the early 90's. Started with an Atari 8 bit computer game version of it! And MSFS98, FSX. But this MSFS2020 this is pretty impressive. I tried the landing challenges and enjoyed them. I even landed the Caravan in Indonesia, on that tribal village hilltop landing strip, First time! Definitely felt the tension on approach. And they had to helicopter the AME's in to check the air frame for cracks!

The scenery is wonderful and I run it at high end setting with my rig. I tried running the default ultra high setting, but in some city settings, in the dense areas the frame rate slows down. I flew the Airbus from Montevideo, Uruguay across the Andes to Santiago, Chile on ultra high setting. Which worked fine for the most part from take off and cruise, but on the approach to landing the frame rate dropped way down and I had to predict where the plane would go with my inputs. but was able to land it barely. I found I was also able to get the auto pilot working at cruising altitude. But I had to hunt for the hidden spots on the panel to activate it. So it needs some adjustment by the development team. I was able to keep the Airbus on course on autopilot for a few hours. So it feel like the airliners might need further work.

I bought FSX Steam when I upgraded to windows 10 and its o.k. I do have FSX Acceleration in the CD's. As well I got tons of add-ons ie:, global mesh/ texture improvement and planes and I am toying with trying to reinstall it. Then do all the rebuilding and all the work involved. Or hoping FS2020 takes off and we see helicopters and more aircraft. Right now I feel it needs a few more up dates and some things that were in the old FSX brought over.

For example, in FSX you press shift z or shift x and you will get some red lettering your airspeed and wind direction at the altitude your flying, your frame rate. This show up a couple lines showing along the upper border of the screen. Which I kind of used as a heads up display upon approach. Its a little thing but would be nice to have back.

I not sure if I am doing something wrong in my settings for the hat switch. but you only get front views and side views. You cant be able to pan around and hold say at the 10:00 o'clock position when your turning in like in FSX. If you can do that, please let me know what step I am missing.

But again the landscapes and terrain features are awesome. I flew by Mount Fuji and you could see the trails people use to walk up to it. Like wow. Same as flying into areas of the world that I have visited. This sim is amazing for the graphic leap forward. That alone makes it hard to go back to FSX.

So first glance I am impressed, I would be very happy if they add a few helicopters, and transport plane like a C-130 Hercules, VTOL Harrier or Osprey. I sure we all have our wish lists. I understand the developers pushing out the door to make money. But it feels like its 3/4 done, and the last quarter is still in beta mode.

But the scenery and weather effect, I be happy to be flying the Caravan in and out of little strips in Indonesia, or anywhere else for a long time yet. Even if they don't improve it. But if they do listen to real world pilots who fly fs2020 and can spot the issues and errors and then ATTEND to them. Well then they will really have hit the ball out of the ball park with this version of MSFS, IMHO.

My rig:

AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Quad-core Processor 3.50 GHz, 24 GB RAM, 64 bit operating system, X64 based processor.

windows 10 pro, 19042.746, windows feature experience pack 120.2212.551.0

monitor: HP L2245 wg LCD monitor,

graphics card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060, 3GB,

Agree with much of this. I really had to tweak my hat switch settings to try and emulate the FSX feel of panning around for views, but the effort was worth it for sure.

Go into your settings and manually set each view for camera: drone, external, and cockpit. I also cleared "quick look" settings because I didn't find it helpful to have to constantly pan in a direction, only to have it reset the minute I let go of the hat switch. A pain, but that extra 10 minutes of work has really helped.

Just as an example:

controls.jpg

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

Regarding the hat switch and looking around...after messing around without satisfaction, I decided to use the mouse control (drag w right button depressed) for looking around. Along with the zoom control, I use this technique for looking around outside, and for cockpit access to radios, parking brake, etc.

Big advantage: using the hat switch in fsx often led to an unintended movement of the stick that I'd have to correct for. Now viewing and primary ac control are separated.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to fly the C-172 from Vancouver B.C. to Friday Harbor in the USA across the border. In clouds with less then 300' ceiling and wet snow. Something you would not do in real life with a C-172. I was basically on instruments and the GPS immediately upon take off. I flew at around 2000 feet and tried to climb out of the clouds but only made it up to 3000 feet, until I could not climb any more about 10- 15 mins into the flight. Humm.. What's coating on my windscreen edges? Oh that looks like ice forming...better hit the De-Ice boots. Oh I do not have them. And I not climbing but actually was slowly going down, even in level flight and full power. We are not making Friday Harbor.

I am now over one of the northern San Juan islands and there is a small strip showing on the GPS. I think I do remember the runway direction, I am at 1000 and going down out of other options. A steep turn into the airport direction and then full flaps on hoping to make the field, not the trees! Out of the mist comes a clearing and we are committed. Flared and landed undamaged. Whew that was pretty good lesson on ice effects in the sim. I am impressed.

I did check my log book, got credited for the takeoff, but not the landing..Damm! :)

Agree with much of this. I really had to tweak my hat switch settings to try and emulate the FSX feel of panning around for views, but the effort was worth it for sure.

Go into your settings and manually set each view for camera: drone, external, and cockpit. I also cleared "quick look" settings because I didn't find it helpful to have to constantly pan in a direction, only to have it reset the minute I let go of the hat switch. A pain, but that extra 10 minutes of work has really helped.

Just as an example:

I have done something similar, however I use an xbox controller which I originally intended to use exclusively to control the drone, but I later assigned for some of the cockpit and external commands too.

One of the xbox joysticks is assigned to "look left / look right", "look up / look down" in external view, and I just left the hat switch assignments to be quickview; so I have both methods available.

I also assigned cockpit views to the xbox, which gives me complete control of cockpit camera position (left / right and view height), and direction of view, so I don't use the hat switch for cockpit views anymore.

None of these commands interfere with each other.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.