Beechcraft King Air - pushback and reverse thrust

I am trying to learn how to fly this lovely aircraft. I have no problems powering up the engines etc etc but when I am ready to depart the parking spot I choose at AeroPelican airport there is only one direction I can go and that is REVERSE as there is a building in front of the aircraft.

Firstly I cannot work out how to call for a pushback tug. I have the ATC window open and there is an option GROUND SERVICES but when I select it there is nothing.

I then considered applying reverse thrust (yes I know not a good thing) but pulling the Power levers back fully and/or pulling the RPM levers back fully (do these levels adjust pitch?) and then applying some power only makes the aircraft go forward.

How are both achieved?

Thanks

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Try pressing Shift+P to toggle pushback on/off.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks Tim

Strange that while watching Youtube videos I am sure I saw that the pushback was 'controlled' via the ATC window.

Could it also be that if I want to reverse the aircraft on the ground I have to select reverse thrust rather than trying via the 'pitch' levers?

John

Strange that while watching Youtube videos I am sure I saw that the pushback was 'controlled' via the ATC window.

Could it also be that if I want to reverse the aircraft on the ground I have to select reverse thrust rather than trying via the 'pitch' levers?

You're right, pushback is normally controlled from the ATC window - but as you've found out, not every parking space has a ground crew to provide pushback. In those cases, the keyboard command also works. You could also press and hold F2 for reverse thrust, then press F1 to toggle it off again. You can also click and drag the throttle levers as far back as they'll go to engage reverse. Pressing F1 again returns them to the idle position.

Edited by tiger1962

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Which is great - easy to get pushback with any aircraft anywhere. Also good for reversing back to the start of short runways. Also very useful with the Icon. If I nose it onto a beach without lowering landing gear I can then start up and 'back out' unti there is room to turn away.

My other favourite alternative is refuel via the weight/balance popup menu at the top of screen - useful if no refuel station of if I can't find it.

but as you've found out, not every parking space has a ground crew to provide pushback.

Thanks Tim.

Problem with that is there already is a small tug complete with driver standing on the back positioned close to the Beechcraft as soon as the flight' starts'.

The coloquial 'penny dropped' when thinking about it. At the departure airport there is no 'comms'/atc only a 'centre' and I assume that a centre not located at the airport would not be in contact with ground services such as the pushback. Is that correct? Am I 'on the money'?

I will try the reverse thrust later but expect it to work.

Thanks to you both,

Edited by jparnold
fix typo

John

Well I think I just disproved my theory of no call for pushback with ground services because it is a very small airport without a tower.

I chose YSSY (Sydney as a departure) and a relevant 'ramp'. I selected (atc) ground services and the only ones listed were call fuel truck and one other I can'r remember. Nothing for pushback.

Is there EVER a selection in ATC 'ground services' to call a pushback? Maybe only for large aircraft like the A320? And if so is this a BUG?

The actual pushback tug is always displayed on startup.

John

Is there EVER a selection in ATC 'ground services' to call a pushback? Maybe only for large aircraft like the A320? And if so is this a BUG?

The actual pushback tug is always displayed on startup.

Yes it's a bug. There's no ATC option to call the fuel truck either, but you can press Shift+F or use the pull-down menu on screen to enter your own fuel quantity. Apparently if you press Shift+P twice (on and off again) the pushback truck will come to you.

Thanks again Tim

With reference to keyboard command for fuel truck and pushback. Is that 'controlled' by whether or not the airport has a fuel truck and/or pushback tug or will they appear regardless?

Lastly regarding reverse thrust (steveboston). I assumed the keyboard command is the same as in FSX ie F2 key, and in fact when I pressed F2 the throttles moved backwards as expected however -

The pitch levers did not operated and

The beechcraft did not move backwards (yes the handbrake was OFF)

John

I have the HOTAS X-56 controls. I assigned the pushback command (keyboard shift-p) to one of the small buttons on the control stick. Also, if you don't mind having the engine started by the AI, I simply start most flights by having the AI control the aircraft. This automatically pushes the plane back to the appropriate taxi distance. Unfortunately, it also starts the engines. I disable the AI when the aircraft is in a position to taxi that I like. Not a 'hardcore' solution, but it works for me. I just wish they would reduce the taxi guides so I don't have to taxi through those big blue arrows.

Thanks kittifish

I did not know that and will try it next time.

John

I simply start most flights by having the AI control the aircraft. This automatically pushes the plane back to the appropriate taxi distance. Unfortunately, it also starts the engines.

At last I tried your suggestion.

Unfortunately it did NOT result in a pushback. The aircraft 'automatically' moved forward and hard left cutting the tug's operator in half with the starboard wing :(

John