How many folks here use or have used TrackIr? I just got mine and spent a lot of time with it today--mainly trying to set it up properly. I finally got it dialed in by evening, but not before it did some odd stuff, like leaving me on the outside of the plane looking at the fuselage (on the ground, fortunately) in one attempt to use it. One of TrackIR's frustrating features--or lack of same--is that there doesn't seem to be any way of getting back to the app to adjust its sensitivities once you've launched it in flightsim. And, even after you exit MSFS, you can't open the app's settings screens because it's "still currently running." I had to exit out of the app by restarting my PC in order to go back to the settings. The TrackIR folks need an update to fix this, I think. All that said, it's pretty cool to be able to look around without a hat switch. I also liked being able to lean forward and read the gauges more clearly.
HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I have been using Track IR for some years now and I must admit that it is not intuitive when first learning to operate it. I have the app icon on my desktop and open the app before I open MSFS. It will not work opening it after you open MSFS. A screen with a grid appears and I hit F12 to centre it. You can also do whatever adjustments that you want at this stage - I have not had to do anything ever. As the Track IR support people tell you, the app lives on the taskbar. Mine hides itself amongst the hidden icons that you can open by selecting the arrow on the task bar. If you do not realise this, you have no visible indication that the app is running which is why the message about it already running can be frustrating. This icon gives you the option of exiting the app when you have finished with it. You appear to be outside the aircraft because you had not centred your point of view (if that is the correct terminology). Adopt your normal seating position, look at the monitor (I usually look to just below the camera), hit F12 and you will be inside your aircraft ready to go. If you need to adjust the view, adjust how you sit, and hit F12 again. Use the wheel on the mouse to zoom in or out. The app gets updated now and then so make sure that you update as needed.

As well as the F12 hot key to centre the point of view, F9 will pause your pov. It can be difficult using the cursor to adjust knobs as you cannot keep your head steady enough to prevent the cursor wobbling around (well, I cannot). Press F9, the view pauses and you can use the cursor as normal.

It is a great app I agree and, if you have any problems, the support is first rate as well.

Edited by nsproles

Windows 11, GeForce GTX 1660ti; 3.60 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core; Kingston SA2000M81000G SSD; 16 gb RAM; CH yoke; Saitek pedals; Three monitors; TrackIR 3.

I have been using TrackIR for years now, so this 77 year old just doesn't seem to have many problems with it. Yes, the adjustments require you to be outside the program in which you are using it. Any bright light behind you can cause erratic behavior. Getting back into the program while running is done by clicking on the little up arrow in the group of taskbar icons over at the clock area, opening the TrackIR icon with a right click and choosing the top line (not at that computer now) by left click which allows you to open with your taskbar icon (provided you put one there). I much prefer it over VR for screen clarity, visual access to controllers, and reading and taking notes, charts, etc. In X-Plane, it plays with X-Camera nicely, but it isn't needed in MSFS. Yes, I tried VR as a friend of mine took me to a VR shop in a local mall back before Covid days. They had X-Plane set up and spent a lot of time getting everything set up "properly". and allowing me to fly unlimited by time. They stayed with me and tweaked it many times - trying to make a sale. It was not a clear image and, although I could see the 3D effects, it just wouldn't work. After bringing my friend home and letting him use TrackIR, that's what he ended up buying and has thanked me for "saving him" many times. Set a couple of easily accessable keys/buttons for "center" and "freeze" and you're good to go. Edited by OT2

I have the app icon on my desktop and open the app before I open MSFS....A screen with a grid appears and I hit F12 to centre it....As well as the F12 hot key to centre the point of view, F9 will pause your pov. It can be difficult using the cursor to adjust knobs as you cannot keep your head steady enough to prevent the cursor wobbling around (well, I cannot). Press F9, the view pauses and you can use the cursor as normal.

Thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate the tips about hitting F12 to center TrackIR at the start of every FS session, and the bit about F9 to pause the POV. I was able to get TrackIR dialed in pretty well by yesterday evening. I use a hat clip. I centered the green blobs in "camera view" on the crosshairs and then switched to "3D" (I think it was) to adjust the sliders for the pitch and yaw axes, fine tuning my head movements in the cockpit.

I have TrackIR on my taskbar, where it is not hidden. Does right-clicking on the icon in the task bar and selecting "close window" exit and end the app? Or are you referring to actions in the "systray" to the taskbar's right?

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I much prefer it over VR for screen clarity, visual access to controllers, and reading and taking notes, charts, etc. In X-Plane, it plays with X-Camera nicely, but it isn't needed in MSFS.

That is useful to know as I was wondering how they would compare. I now think that I will stick with my TrackIR for the present.

Windows 11, GeForce GTX 1660ti; 3.60 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core; Kingston SA2000M81000G SSD; 16 gb RAM; CH yoke; Saitek pedals; Three monitors; TrackIR 3.

I have TrackIR on my taskbar, where it is not hidden. Does right-clicking on the icon in the task bar and selecting "close window" exit and end the app? Or are you referring to actions in the "systray" to the taskbar's right?

I minimise TrackIR before I go into MSFS. I have no particular reason for doing so, just habit. However the result is that it does not appear on the taskbar so I cannot answer your first question. And Yes, I was referring to the icon in the systray. If you right click on it, it gives you the option to Exit the app.

I used TrackIR for years and bought two versions of it. It made such a huge difference, being able to look around the cockpit like that.

However.. I’ve now gone down the VR route... wow! I’m no longer just looking around a cockpit.. but an actually sat in it!

VR headsets have come a long way over the last year or so & the argument of it not being a clear image no longer applies.. with the G2 at least.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I used TrackIR for years and bought two versions of it. It made such a huge difference, being able to look around the cockpit like that.

However.. I’ve now gone down the VR route... wow! I’m no longer just looking around a cockpit.. but an actually sat in it!

VR headsets have come a long way over the last year or so & the argument of it not being a clear image no longer applies.. with the G2 at least.

Regards

Steve

How do you manage the controls? With a mouse?

I approve this message...

The same for me TrackIR for several years and I enjoy it every day with FS2020

My setup : MSI Mag Z390 Tomahawk, i9-9900K 3.6GHz, Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz, MSI RTX 2080 TI OC, 2x Crucial M.2 NVME (1TB), TCA (Quadrant & Quadrant Add On) Airbus Edition, T.Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Head Tracker, OLED55CX6LA

I approve this message...

The same for me TrackIR for several years and I enjoy it every day with FS2020

I'm enjoying it. Although I think I need to do some adjustments. My head movements are too abrupt, I think. Have you drilled down into the settings much? I'm wondering if setting "smoothness" higher would help. I'm open to any suggestions.

Merci,

Steve from California

How do you manage the controls? With a mouse?

I use the yoke, pedals & throttle unit. Although you can’t see them, you soon learn where they are. The mouse also works for switches too.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

I heartily agree with the use of IR head trackers. Mine works very well (Grass Monkey Odyssey) and at $75 it remains a 'best buy' for my sim experience.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

I use the yoke, pedals & throttle unit. Although you can’t see them, you soon learn where they are. The mouse also works for switches too.

Regards

Steve

Sounds very doable. As it is, in TrackIR, I'm using the mouse to release the parking brake and switch on the cockpit flood lights in the Cessna 152. Being able to look down and forward makes it easier to find the brake handle and the floodlight switch.

Sounds like you've been at this longer than I have. I can take off, climb, trim the plane, control my airspeed, descend, etc., but I'm having a heckuva time lining up with runways on final (when I'm not coming in too high). Do you have any tips in that department?

Regards,

Another Steve

Sounds very doable. As it is, in TrackIR, I'm using the mouse to release the parking brake and switch on the cockpit flood lights in the Cessna 152. Being able to look down and forward makes it easier to find the brake handle and the floodlight switch.

Sounds like you've been at this longer than I have. I can take off, climb, trim the plane, control my airspeed, descend, etc., but I'm having a heckuva time lining up with runways on final (when I'm not coming in too high). Do you have any tips in that department?

Regards,

Another Steve

Hi Steve,

that’s another thing you get with VR.. perspective. Lining up in VR is easier because you see it in 3d. You just don’t get this on a 2D display. I have three 43” TVs and was using them up until I got the Reverb G2 - they’re virtually obsolete now, as are my 4 Saitek panels... but VR is so worth it.

When you’re lining up, try focusing on the far end of the runway. Others might say otherwise but that’s what I do.

Regards

Steve

but I'm having a heckuva time lining up with runways on final

When you are properly lined up (left/right) the runway will look to be a line straight up, not tilted left or right. As you get closer you'll be able to judge if you need to EASE left or right a little, keeping in mind that in a side-by-side airplane your viewpoint when properly aligned will seem slightly to the left of the centerline (from the left seat).

One other thing that might help would be to get your head in the position that you want for coming down final then hit the PAUSE key so that it won't wobble around. Once you learn to hold your head steady when you want to, you can dispense with the PAUSE key, but it's always there to aid you. Note that if the default PAUSE key conflicts with something else that is assigned to that key, you can change it to something that does not conflict.

Another viewing aid is that, as you are established on final at the desired airspeed and configuration, the point on the ground (hopefully on the runway) that is not moving up or down in your windshield is the spot that you will hit if you don't change anything. So make that aim point just a little short of where you want to touch down because once you flare you'll move the touchdown point a bit further down the runway.

And speaking of the flare, once you've started the flare, you should try to hold the aircraft a foot or so off the ground, keeping it there until you get off the runway -- actually this means that you don't land it, but rather you hold it off and IT will decide when to touch down, but keep that nose up a bit 'til it won't stay there. Obviously this means that your back pressure is constantly changing as you flare and as you hold it off, hold it off, hold it off, oof - it touched. You also should be looking towards the far end of the runway, not close to you, making it easier to judge your height above the ground.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Hi Steve,

that’s another thing you get with VR.. perspective. Lining up in VR is easier because you see it in 3d. You just don’t get this on a 2D display. I have three 43” TVs and was using them up until I got the Reverb G2 - they’re virtually obsolete now, as are my 4 Saitek panels... but VR is so worth it.

When you’re lining up, try focusing on the far end of the runway. Others might say otherwise but that’s what I do.

Regards

Steve

What are you gonna do with those three humongous monitors now? And the panels? I assume you have the multi-panel and the radio panel. What are the other two? Will you sell all that "obsolete" stuff on eBay?

Did you try the Reverb G2 in a store before you bought it, or just get it based on reviews? I think someone here told me you can use it with glasses. Maybe that was you. How isolating is it when you're in VR? I.e, what's your situational awareness of reality?

Other Steve

What are you gonna do with those three humongous monitors now? And the panels? I assume you have the multi-panel and the radio panel. What are the other two? Will you sell all that "obsolete" stuff on eBay?

Did you try the Reverb G2 in a store before you bought it, or just get it based on reviews? I think someone here told me you can use it with glasses. Maybe that was you. How isolating is it when you're in VR? I.e, what's your situational awareness of reality?

Other Steve

Hi Steve,

I don’t have the radio panel, but have three of the small (3” square) instrument panels and one multipanel. They are still active when I’m flying (although I can’t see them LOL) but I don’t fancy selling them. They still look good & along with the three TVs, my cockpit looks quite impressive (not that I see it in vr)

I didn’t go to a shop to check out the Reverb. I had previously owned a Rift (CV1) & I also own a Quest (original one) so I had experience VR previously. It was all the reviews and YouTube videos of the G2 that sold it... & I’m glad I went ahead!

I wear glasses all the time, including with the headset on. As long as your glasses don’t have huge frames then they should be fine.

Regards

Steve

Anyone considering a similar purchase I would encourage to look at TrackHat

https://www.trackhat.org/ which is often overlooked as it has less "time" on TrackIR. I have both and find Trackhat superior. It is robust, nowadays wireless, accurate and not affected by any backlight. Plus it is cheaper!

TrackIR on the other hand I find needs constant calibration, is anything but robust with its flimsy feet on the receiver Mine is Velcro'd to the top of the monitor) and very much affected by stray light sources.

I have no connection with either company or product. It seems to me that Trackhat never gets a fair shake.

TrackIR on the other hand I find needs constant calibration

What happens that you need "constant calibration?" I haven't recalibrated mine for a number of years. Granted that once in a while I may need to press the F12 key, if I've gone overboard in my movements and not gotten back to about the same position, but that's about it.

is anything but robust with its flimsy feet on the receiver

Mine rests just fine on top of my (admittedly thin) monitor and, granted that you shouldn't treat it rough, but I never need to move it, either (except to dust), and a fall from the top of the monitor to the desk is no big deal.

And I had it long before TrackHat existed -- I didn't know about it 'til I saw your post here -- and TrackIR has served me well for at least 12-14 years (or maybe longer, I've lost track).

It is...nowadays wireless,

The only wire on TrackIR is the one that plugs the camera into the computer USB port. If even that is wireless then you'll need to worry about batteries.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Might as well give a free plug for the IR head tracker I'm enjoying -

https://grassmonkeysimulations.com/

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

I can't get the software to install. The eye test works including the LEDs, but I get a red light. There is no Ir Tracker entry in the device manager although the PS3Eye camera shows up. I've spent many hours following their peculiar (unplug all USB devices except keyboard and mouse) instructions. For the time being I've given up.
i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

If all else fails, try their support. I have found them to be very good and they quickly respond.

I eventually found out that I was trying to install the wrong vendor's software so I went to seller, which is Grass Monkey, they gave me a link to their instructions. They did seem to be very helpful. (https://grassmonkeysimulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Puck-Odyssey-User-Guide.pdf)

So I'm ready to make another attempt, but not right now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Be sure to also click on Grass Monkey's "Profile" section and download their custom one for MSFS 2020. It works wonderfully. really smooths out the viewing.