Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TrackIr

Default TrackIr

How many folks here use or have used TrackIr? I just got mine and spent a lot of time with it today--mainly trying to set it up properly. I finally got it dialed in by evening, but not before it did some odd stuff, like leaving me on the outside of the plane looking at the fuselage (on the ground, fortunately) in one attempt to use it. One of TrackIR's frustrating features--or lack of same--is that there doesn't seem to be any way of getting back to the app to adjust its sensitivities once you've launched it in flightsim. And, even after you exit MSFS, you can't open the app's settings screens because it's "still currently running." I had to exit out of the app by restarting my PC in order to go back to the settings. The TrackIR folks need an update to fix this, I think. All that said, it's pretty cool to be able to look around without a hat switch. I also liked being able to lean forward and read the gauges more clearly.
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I have been using Track IR for some years now and I must admit that it is not intuitive when first learning to operate it. I have the app icon on my desktop and open the app before I open MSFS. It will not work opening it after you open MSFS. A screen with a grid appears and I hit F12 to centre it. You can also do whatever adjustments that you want at this stage - I have not had to do anything ever. As the Track IR support people tell you, the app lives on the taskbar. Mine hides itself amongst the hidden icons that you can open by selecting the arrow on the task bar. If you do not realise this, you have no visible indication that the app is running which is why the message about it already running can be frustrating. This icon gives you the option of exiting the app when you have finished with it. You appear to be outside the aircraft because you had not centred your point of view (if that is the correct terminology). Adopt your normal seating position, look at the monitor (I usually look to just below the camera), hit F12 and you will be inside your aircraft ready to go. If you need to adjust the view, adjust how you sit, and hit F12 again. Use the wheel on the mouse to zoom in or out. The app gets updated now and then so make sure that you update as needed.
    As well as the F12 hot key to centre the point of view, F9 will pause your pov. It can be difficult using the cursor to adjust knobs as you cannot keep your head steady enough to prevent the cursor wobbling around (well, I cannot). Press F9, the view pauses and you can use the cursor as normal.
    It is a great app I agree and, if you have any problems, the support is first rate as well.
    Last edited by nsproles; 01-23-2021 at 06:09 AM.

I have been using TrackIR for years now, so this 77 year old just doesn't seem to have many problems with it. Yes, the adjustments require you to be outside the program in which you are using it. Any bright light behind you can cause erratic behavior. Getting back into the program while running is done by clicking on the little up arrow in the group of taskbar icons over at the clock area, opening the TrackIR icon with a right click and choosing the top line (not at that computer now) by left click which allows you to open with your taskbar icon (provided you put one there). I much prefer it over VR for screen clarity, visual access to controllers, and reading and taking notes, charts, etc. In X-Plane, it plays with X-Camera nicely, but it isn't needed in MSFS. Yes, I tried VR as a friend of mine took me to a VR shop in a local mall back before Covid days. They had X-Plane set up and spent a lot of time getting everything set up "properly". and allowing me to fly unlimited by time. They stayed with me and tweaked it many times - trying to make a sale. It was not a clear image and, although I could see the 3D effects, it just wouldn't work. After bringing my friend home and letting him use TrackIR, that's what he ended up buying and has thanked me for "saving him" many times. Set a couple of easily accessable keys/buttons for "center" and "freeze" and you're good to go.
    Last edited by OT2; 01-23-2021 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nsproles View Post
    I have the app icon on my desktop and open the app before I open MSFS....A screen with a grid appears and I hit F12 to centre it....As well as the F12 hot key to centre the point of view, F9 will pause your pov. It can be difficult using the cursor to adjust knobs as you cannot keep your head steady enough to prevent the cursor wobbling around (well, I cannot). Press F9, the view pauses and you can use the cursor as normal.
    Thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate the tips about hitting F12 to center TrackIR at the start of every FS session, and the bit about F9 to pause the POV. I was able to get TrackIR dialed in pretty well by yesterday evening. I use a hat clip. I centered the green blobs in "camera view" on the crosshairs and then switched to "3D" (I think it was) to adjust the sliders for the pitch and yaw axes, fine tuning my head movements in the cockpit.

I have TrackIR on my taskbar, where it is not hidden. Does right-clicking on the icon in the task bar and selecting "close window" exit and end the app? Or are you referring to actions in the "systray" to the taskbar's right?
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Quote Originally Posted by OT2 View Post
    I much prefer it over VR for screen clarity, visual access to controllers, and reading and taking notes, charts, etc. In X-Plane, it plays with X-Camera nicely, but it isn't needed in MSFS.
    That is useful to know as I was wondering how they would compare. I now think that I will stick with my TrackIR for the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Aptosflier View Post
    I have TrackIR on my taskbar, where it is not hidden. Does right-clicking on the icon in the task bar and selecting "close window" exit and end the app? Or are you referring to actions in the "systray" to the taskbar's right?
    I minimise TrackIR before I go into MSFS. I have no particular reason for doing so, just habit. However the result is that it does not appear on the taskbar so I cannot answer your first question. And Yes, I was referring to the icon in the systray. If you right click on it, it gives you the option to Exit the app.

I used TrackIR for years and bought two versions of it. It made such a huge difference, being able to look around the cockpit like that.
    However.. I’ve now gone down the VR route... wow! I’m no longer just looking around a cockpit.. but an actually sat in it!
    VR headsets have come a long way over the last year or so & the argument of it not being a clear image no longer applies.. with the G2 at least.

Regards
    Steve
    Intel I9-10900K - Gigabyte Z490 Vision G - 64Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte RTX2080ti - 3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs
    Corsair HXi series 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU - 1x500gb & 1x1TB M.2 SSDs

Quote Originally Posted by g7rta View Post
    I used TrackIR for years and bought two versions of it. It made such a huge difference, being able to look around the cockpit like that.
    However.. I’ve now gone down the VR route... wow! I’m no longer just looking around a cockpit.. but an actually sat in it!
    VR headsets have come a long way over the last year or so & the argument of it not being a clear image no longer applies.. with the G2 at least.

Regards
    Steve
    How do you manage the controls? With a mouse?

I approve this message...

The same for me TrackIR for several years and I enjoy it every day with FS2020

Quote Originally Posted by PierreFromBelgium View Post
    I approve this message...

The same for me TrackIR for several years and I enjoy it every day with FS2020
    I'm enjoying it. Although I think I need to do some adjustments. My head movements are too abrupt, I think. Have you drilled down into the settings much? I'm wondering if setting "smoothness" higher would help. I'm open to any suggestions.
    Merci,
    Steve from California

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast