Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: RNAV GPS Approach Tutorial - Microsoft Flight Simulator

Blog Entries

Default Article: RNAV GPS Approach Tutorial - Microsoft Flight Simulator

Thankyou for this... I have never used RNAV. Your description as to the WHY and HOW makes me want to try it.

Enjoyed the video...You "kids" have it so easy. While have flown the 757/767 in the RW and flown an RNP approach in recurrent, I never got to fly general aviation RNAV.

Quick question: All the videos I've seen have the moving map 'north up' as opposed to 'track up', that I'm familiar with. Real world or in flightsim, can that be adjusted? 'North up', unless I just happened to be flying north, would probably drive me crazy

Far North Coast, New South Wales, Australia

Hi Nels, have had a look at your YouTube site. Whilst I'm still using legacy FS2002, the principles are invariant, so your videos are very good for my general training and the earlier FS's all are able to handle much of what you do in MSFS (aka FS2020). Along with RW YouTube videos, I'm learning heaps and it's all starting to make a much richer experience when I climb into my Cessna 172 cockpit in FS2002.

Thank you...great video

Quote Originally Posted by mitz blitz View Post
    Thankyou for this... I have never used RNAV. Your description as to the WHY and HOW makes me want to try it.
    You are welcome. I am glad my video made it easier and that you want to give it a try. The representation of what you see is basically the same as an ILS instead of entering a LOC frequency, you're selecting a GPS approach from the FMS or GPS and leaving the source in GPS vs LOC/NAV which is where it would be for an ILS.

Thecorporatepilotdad

Quote Originally Posted by dbauder View Post
    Enjoyed the video...You "kids" have it so easy. While have flown the 757/767 in the RW and flown an RNP approach in recurrent, I never got to fly general aviation RNAV.

Quick question: All the videos I've seen have the moving map 'north up' as opposed to 'track up', that I'm familiar with. Real world or in flightsim, can that be adjusted? 'North up', unless I just happened to be flying north, would probably drive me crazy
    I do not get many GPS approaches in the real world. It seems like it's either an ILS approach or a visual approach in the real world. About 1 out of every 20 approaches will be a GPS approach. I remember how awesome it was just being able to use a handheld GPS for enroute VFR operations for the first time in the late 90s vs actually doing a GPS approach in jets nowadays. As far as the track up, I am not sure if that can be changed in FS2020 or not. If there is a way, I do not know how to change the orientation of the map.

Thanks for the descriptive video
    So, basically in modern aircraft equipped with an FMS you set the minimums and leave the glide path to the VNAV (or equivalent) right?

I forgot to say the reason I'm asking this is I don't think pressing the "Approach" button in a let's say A320 or B737 would make the aircraft follow the GS (glide path) in an RNAV approach. In other words I don't think a full autolanding would be possible with RNAV in real world; right?

This is what all flight sim Tutorials should aspire to!

I get so frustrated with "Tutorials" from software companies that simply demonstrate what their product can do rather than how to do it.

Well done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast