Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scenery object pop-up distances

Default Scenery object pop-up distances

Hi Guys,

In quite some of my addon airport sceneries the amongst others, (apron) objects, e.g. busses, tractors, passenger stairs, etc, only pop up and become visible at very short distances, e.g. while taxiing and/or approaching my (via ATC) assigned parking position. These distances are very variable and only seem and I repeat the word "seem", to be caused by BGL files made via the SCASM program. Disassembling such SCASM BGL files into their SCA versions is no problem nor are finding the texture files being called for but finding anything to do with possible pop-up distances within these SCA files, remains my big problem. However, I'm certainly no expert at this and need some help.

The texture files concerned are all DXT3 or DXT1, are mipped and have alpha channels.

Does anyone know where I should begin looking ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hans

Default Pop-up distances.

I am certainly no expert, and what I have to contribute may not help at all.
    However, I make objects mostly for my own use, and I believe that the 'pop-up' distance is related to the size of the object, and that may be why the objects you describe having an issue with are very small objects.
    For my own objects, I add a single, untextured,inverted triangular polygon below ground level, and I seem to be able to control the pop-up distance according to the size of the object and the size of the polygon.
    This is entirely my own experience, and I would be happy to hear from anybody who has more knowledge.

Thanks for your reply David and your theory is certainly new for me. I'm now going to do some testing and will post my findings in this thread.

However, I must also point out beforehand that I cannot really imagine that something like this could be a structural problem of FS9 itself but as you point out, it certainly does concern small addon scenery objects only but definitely not all of them, hence me suspecting the different developer programming styles within their SCASM based BGL files.

Thanks again.

Hans

After a few hours of testing with XML based library objects randomly placed/positioned in one of my addon airport sceneries via the Abacus EZ program, it has turned out that the phyisical size of the objects do not make any difference. The normal sized objects and the (test) huge ones next to them, both appear and disappear at the same far too close and unrealistic distances from my taxiing or low flying aircraft.

The textures concerned were originally DXT1 but changing them to DXT3 (= larger) made no difference either.

Further ideas anyone ?

Regards

Hans

Hi,

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...closer-to-them
    Reply #3.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5...-further-away/
    Reply Scott967 and below.

Hope this helps a bit.

DDP.

Default object viewing distance

I have a comment that is related to this discussion. What is your zoom level set at in virtual cockpit? I have found that 0.5 is the level that best reflects reality in spotting objects on the ground from the air. There are, definitely, some objects (particularly small planes) that appear at a shorter distance away than one would expect and I have never found a solution for this, or seen a definite solution in the forums. I make scenery objects, and in general larger ones get seen first, so "why" is an occasional mystery.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your reactions.

I opened an example texture of one of my far too close pop-up scenery objects via the program "DXTbmp" and all looked well. The size of this particular texture without mips was 129 Kb and with mips, 171 Kb. Via the "Preview" ---> DXT1 dropdown menu I was then able to see a series of 8 mipped sub-textures, ranging from the top very detailed one, right down to the last almost invisible "pin-point" one. All very normal and technically correct.

The only conclusion I can now come come up with is that the problem lies somewhere within it's XML based model (MDL) file, which calls for and processes this correctly mipped texture. However, to be able to search for and possibly fix such a problem, I would first need to be able to disassemble MDL files into something legible and also to afterwards be able to re-compile them back to their MDL files.

Can any of you experts please advise me on this, e.g. which program(s) I would be needing ?

Regards

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by hjwalter View Post
    Hi Guys,

In quite some of my addon airport sceneries the amongst others, (apron) objects, e.g. busses, tractors, passenger stairs, etc, only pop up and become visible at very short distances....

Hans
    Hans, I think this is a function of what conditions were applied to the objects in question by the scenery designer. The object might have been created with a distance condition so that it appears only when the user is within a specific number of meters (ie. Distance to refpoint between 0 and X meters). Alternatively, the designer might have applied an empty LOD to the model to force it to vanish when a certain resolution is reached. I have used both methods in my scenery work. It takes a lot of work to avoid pop-up objects such as those you experienced with the airport in question.

Greg
    Last edited by gaputz; 01-25-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Roger,

I tried what you suggested, in VC mode with a zoom of 0.5 or less and the objects concerned do seem the pop up/disappear at greater distances but this does tend to make the whole external scenery look too far away and therefore less realistic. The same also applies when in 2D mode with the same negative zoom levels. Moreover, this is not the structural solution, if there is one, I was really looking for.

Thanks anyway for your suggestion and I will certainly keep it in mind.

Hans

Greg,

Thanks for your reaction.

I'm certainly no scenery designer myself but somewhere deep inside me I just cannot imagine that a scenery designer/developer would purposely dispose of or decrease the positive effects of the "standard" mipmap technology and especially when this should specifically be used to enhance frame rates.

Oh well, I'll see where this thread ends and if one or more of you experts will go as far as to say that my problem is impossible to fix in the way that I had imagined, then so be it and I'll then go searching for another problem. LOL.
    After all, as a result of all these covid lockdowns/curfews, etc. there's not much else to do, apart from trying to enhance my "one and only" FS9 even further.

Regards
    Hans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast