App to choose whats in Community folder

There are a couple of Apps which do this, here's the first one I came to over at flightsim.to: https://flightsim.to/file/5886/package-manager-for-msfs

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I've tried a few - ModManFX, MSFS Addons Linker and MSFS Mod Manager. For me its down to Addons Linker and MSFS Mod Manager.

I like Addons Linker for the fact that it creates links to the addons rather than copy them into the Community folder. You can place the actual mods in a separate folder and then organize your addons in separate folders. So when you disable a mod, there's no need to move files around. It simply removes the link in the Community folder. This cuts down on solid state drive wear. Another cool benefit - you can organize your addons into folders and you'll see them listed this way in Addons Linker. But the developer chose to use stars to represent folders rather than an actual folder so that's a small usability thing. Once you know, you're good. However, there's an annoying error that pops up on a folder settings screen which you can continue past and ignore. Could be me but I haven't explored it further.

Link - https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker

MSFS Mod Manager just works. Its quick and it looks great especially with the MSFS skin applied. It uses the Community folder to enable addons unlike Addons Linker. When you disable an addon, it moves them into a disabled folder. If you're concerned about solid state drive wear then this is a negative. Because it uses the Community folder to manage addons, there's no folder organization which does mean a cleaner interface. I suppose the lack of organization could be a concern for those with tons of addons but I'm not there yet. Oh and the developer is considering the use of links similar to Addons Linker so that moving files between places isn't needed.

Link - https://github.com/NathanVaughn/msfs-mod-manager

Right now, I'm leaning toward MSFS Mod Manager but either will serve you well.

I downloaded this one but windows is blocking the extraction of the exe file from the zip. How did you get around this please?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If the message that Windows gives you has a blue background, just hit the more info link, and you will be able to bypass it. May not be exactly as I typed but that should get you to where you need to go :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Unfortunately not. I get " windows found that this file is potentially harmful. To help protect your computer, windows has blocked access to this file"

There is a link to "how does this help my computer" or "ok".

If i click on the first link it just takes me to the windows support home page.

I must be either dumb or unlucky. Dont answer that !

After unzipping i set up the options then clicked OK. At this point i get an error that the program is unable to find C:\Program Data\MSFSAddonsLinker\Data\Tags.bin.

When i looked for that file, although the MSFSAddonsLinker folder is there the Data folder which should be inside it is not.

Stinger

I must be either dumb or unlucky. Dont answer that !

After unzipping i set up the options then clicked OK. At this point i get an error that the program is unable to find C:\Program Data\MSFSAddonsLinker\Data\Tags.bin.

When i looked for that file, although the MSFSAddonsLinker folder is there the Data folder which should be inside it is not.

Stinger

The author has since confirmed that this is a bug that new users see. [emoji849]

The author has kindly assisted me in manually changing things to get around the bug and I now have the program functioning as it should.

Thanks for the replies guys. This program looks very useful on first look.

Regards

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk