Upgrade Redbird Jay

Hello all.

Recently purchased a 2015 Redbird Jay flight sim for a good price. I wanted this particular one mainly because control were built in and is a simple setup.

Being a 2015 and running Prepar3d it's a little outdated...haha

So what I would like to know is what hardware/software upgrades would you recommend?

Presently running win 7

Intel i5 4570s, 2.9GHzx2

8Gb RAM

240Gb SSD

Built in graphics

Open slot for GPU

Not sure of the version of Prepar3d.

It has built in yoke, throttle quad, USB pedals and monitor. I've cleaned up the controls to work better, minor repairs and adjustments.

I find Prepar3d a little archaic.

Redbird wanted $1500 to update to a new box.

Because all the controls are USB in theory I could run any software on it, x-plane, FS2020, Prepar3d.

Would like to run another monitor, access to iPad for Simionics G1000 and better graphics.

Appreciate your thoughts, thanks

hete's the advertisment for it. Says a pc is included and gives specs.

May be best to use the set it comes with and not something else. Call them to ask if using a different desktop is an option or if the device they supply is required.

your laptop (any laptop) is definitely not up to the task.

they say compatiblle with fsx aircraft and addons so its not p3d 64 bit (p3d v5 and above). Must be v4 or lower.

questions you should really ask Redbird. they will advise you best. call or email.

https://simulators.redbirdflight.com/products/jay

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the reply.

Actually the computer is built in to the box. In my mind it should be an easy hardware upgrade, the OS then perhaps software.

Present version of P3D is 1.3. Almost fell over laughing when I saw that. I guess I could upgrade P3D but not sure how to, I'm a Mac guy so Windows is a little different.

I did manage to run a demo version of X-Plane on it so I guess what I'm asking; is it possible to upgrade CPU and OS? Also is it worth sticking with P3D or switching to another FS? It's just a box after all.

I did contact Redbird. Great company but they want you to buy in to their ecosystem which is an optional $500 of software on top of replacing the hardware.

Thanks again

Exactly the reason you should avoid them in the future. Take what you have, get with builders like myself, and turn what you have into a more viable and entertaining simulator.

Mitch

That's the plan.

But where to start?

Redbird is aimed more at flight schools and other professional training environments where upgrading the hardware and software to the latest and greatest is not high on the list. They also offer FAA certified simulators which means both the hardware and software are signed off on, and changing either would negate the certification.

As for upgrading the sim on your own, the first step would be determining how standard the components are. If they're standard ATX or mini-ATX motherboards, PSU, CPU cooler etc., then you just need to set your budget and buy the best you can afford. Not sure if they have provided you with that info, or if it is documented somewhere, so you may need to do some digging. There are plenty of threads here talking about what hardware to get that should get you started when you know what you're working with.

Redbird is aimed more at flight schools and other professional training environments where upgrading the hardware and software to the latest and greatest is not high on the list. They also offer FAA certified simulators which means both the hardware and software are signed off on, and changing either would negate the certification.

As for upgrading the sim on your own, the first step would be determining how standard the components are. If they're standard ATX or mini-ATX motherboards, PSU, CPU cooler etc., then you just need to set your budget and buy the best you can afford. Not sure if they have provided you with that info, or if it is documented somewhere, so you may need to do some digging. There are plenty of threads here talking about what hardware to get that should get you started when you know what you're working with.

Good post. And I would add that the Redbird stuff is the bare minimum when it comes to technology. They are focusing they're money on the limited certification in my opinion. I'm not saying the equipment is cheap. I'm saying that you could take what you have and make it state-of-the-art depending what your willing to put into it technology wise.

M

• 5 weeks later...
Good post. And I would add that the Redbird stuff is the bare minimum when it comes to technology. They are focusing they're money on the limited certification in my opinion. I'm not saying the equipment is cheap. I'm saying that you could take what you have and make it state-of-the-art depending what your willing to put into it technology wise.

M

I would agree, hardware is excellent, overall implementation very good. Software at least on mine is very basic and "old."

I have every intention of adding a GPU and ditching the "Redbird" proprietary software. Can't blame them though, they are primarily a basic flight training device is what I need but to be honest if you don't play in their "world" it's better to use X-Plane or something else which is what I intend to do.

For example, I contacted them about "updating" my machine. I would have to ship it back to TX, pay $1500USD and then subscribe to one of their software solutions at around $600USD. Don't have too much faith in that either because they seemed to have abandoned their first iteration after only a couple of years, hence my plan to update the hardware and switch to X-Plane.

When I speak of hardware I'm referring to the controls and overall "box."

• 5 months later...
I have the exact same question. I purchased mine new a few years ago…it’s a box, with a yoke, throttle, mixture, magneto, monitor, and flaps. Also bought the rudder pedals separately. It’s an ancient iteration of windows behind the scenes, powered probably by chipmunks. It has the Prepar3d loaded…graphics are pretty weak, scenarios are cool…but limited. Has you fly the Fisk arrival into OshKosh…which means you follow the railroad tracks…graphics are so bad I can’t tell which of the vague fuzzy lines are supposed to be the railroad tracks. Want to be able to run MS FS 2020 on it…it would be amazing if it actually had the horsepower. Did you make any progress on your efforts?