Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did you fly today ?

Default KWVI to KSJC to KWVI

First, I flew the Beech Bonanza G36 from Watsonville to San Jose after first setting up a flight plan in the G36's modded G1000, with an ILS approach to RWY 31L at KSJC. I was pleased with myself for figuring out how to select the transition to final that I wanted from the G1000 PROC menu (KLIDE instead of BORED). Actually getting the G36 to perform the ILS approach once I got close to KSJC took some fiddling with the autopilot buttons on my Logitech multipanel, but I got it working.

Next, I went to the World Map and switched to a Beech Baron G58 for the return flight from KSJC to KWVI. I selected KWVI from the "nearest" airports in the G1000 and selected an approach over the Monterey Bay to RWY 2 at KWVI, setting up a flight plan that the crossed the Santa Cruz Mountains, turned left at Santa Cruz, and then proceeded down the coast to Watsonville. At that point, the whole thing came apart. Per the flight plan loaded into the AP, the Baron was supposed to follow a triangular course out to sea and back toward the coast, lining up with the runway at an intersection called "NALLS," and from there presumably continuing to the runway. This didn't make much sense to me. (Why not just turn left at NALLS and head on in?) But I let the AP do its thing to see what would happen. Well, when it reached NALLS, the AP turned the plane back toward the Monterey Peninsula to repeat the loop again. I said "nuts" to that, disengaged the AP, lined up with the runway again, per the localizer, and landed. I really liked the way the G58 handled on final, by the way.

Santa Cruz below on a beautiful (live weather) afternoon on California's Central Coast.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Santa Cruz 6.17.21.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	334.0 KB 
ID:	226498
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

2. Default Heading to Juneau from Spokane...clouds everywhere!

Was playing around with the drone camera, I can see the potential with it! One of the neatest things to come with MSFS besides, well, clouds!

Name:	sm sea of white .jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	226504

Name:	sm endless.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	226505

Name:	sm surfing.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	226506

Name:	sm approach.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	226507
    Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Default LXGB LEPA Spain

Off the Spain Mediterranean coast, Gibraltar to Palma de Mallorca.
    Cessna Citation Longitude. Flight path below for reference.

Name:	lxgb-lepa.jpg 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	226509

CYBP to CED3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alberta1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	243.0 KB 
ID:	226510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alberta2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	323.6 KB 
ID:	226511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alberta3.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	291.6 KB 
ID:	226512  

Name:	Alberta4.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	300.3 KB 
ID:	226513  
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

5. Default

To KMCO we go, with the moon for company!

Name:	sm DoF.jpg 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	226515

Name:	sm moon chase.jpg 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	226516

Name:	sm KMCO approach.jpg 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	226517
    Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

No pictures again but what a fun flight. I decided to go to the land of my ancestors and take advantage of the new update. King Air from Kristiansund Norway (EKNB) to the farthest north commercial airport on the Island of Svalbard and the Longyear airport (ENSB). Lots of clouds along the route and with no ILS I was a little worried visibility at the airport could be below minimums. But fortunately the cloud layer broke at 2000ft and I was able to make a nice visual approach and touch down. One minor blip in the flight. I was so far north the GPS was having straying issues and I was clean off the VFR map. The airport at Svalbard is really neat looking and the ice flow around the island was unexpected and really cool. Big props to MS and Asobo for adding that realism. I was not expecting that.. Next question is can you land on it.. Great scenery all around with the update and I cant wait to turn live weather off and make it bright and sunny and see the glaciers.
    Last edited by floundy; 06-20-2021 at 06:19 PM.

Default Local sightseeing (yesterday)

Took up one of the smaller single-engine light aircraft (I forget which one) for some local sightseeing, flying from Watsonville to Santa Cruz and back. Santa Cruz's best-known landmark is the Beach Boardwalk, home to the Giant Dipper, an historic rollercoaster and reputedly the oldest wooden roller coaster on the West Coast. It's been featured in such movies as "The Lost Boys," "Sudden Impact," and "Dangerous Minds." You can see it here in the lower right corner of the pilot's window, at 500 feet:

Name:	Santa Cruz boardwalk.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	357.9 KB 
ID:	226566
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

KPHG to KMCI
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KPHGEK.jpg 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	226567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KMCIWK.jpg 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	226568  
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

9. Default

Decided to try my hand at the DA40NG and...WOW! I think I'm gonna like flying this nifty little plane a lot! The view out of the cockpit is otherworldly. I can see why it's a very popular plane.

Actually flew my first leg of my planned world tour, from KCGF to W05 (Cuyahoga County Airport, OH to Gettysburg Regional in PA). Did it all in live weather too, so it was thundering and lightning and dark. IFR to the rescue! Landing this plane took me a little bit by surprise as I dropped pretty quickly as I got close to the runway, but flying in the dark kind of makes you misjudge distances, doesn't it? I bounced, but got down in one piece. Not bad for flying this plane for the first time, right?

Also was using this flight to collect data for putting together a performance profile for those who use Little Navmap. I sent Alex (the creator of LNM) the profile file and I'm sure he'll upload it to his site before long if anyone wants an accurate performance profile for the DA40NG. IMPORTANT INFO HERE: The profile I created is based off the mod created by mrtommymxr and will ONLY work with that mod. So, if you use the default Asobo version or some other mod, it won't work (there's a specific field in the profile that reads exactly which aircraft you're flying, modded or otherwise).

Think I'll fly this plane again for my next world tour leg, going through DC and working my way up the coastline.

Meanwhile, enjoy the shot I took!

Name:	sm lightning.jpg 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	226569

I got up at 04:00 AM today (when you get old that’s what you do).
    I fired up my FS and found a group of islands just off the NW coast of Africa.
    All of the larger islands had one major airport.
    I picked 7 of those islands and made a Flight Plan.
    I don’t know what the name of those islands are so I named
    the plan “GCLA to GCRR”.
    It was a com clear day, almost like it was 12 noon.
    I jumped in my Beloved Baron and found that my copilot was sitting in the right seat waiting for me.
    I took off from GCLA, turned on the autopilot at 2600 ft.
    The islands ares nice looking with plenty of mountains.
    I had to ascend to 6000 feet to clear them.
    A lot of valleys and villages and I enjoyed
    flying to each of them.
    I did a couple of touch and goes at each island.
    One thing that stood out was the airports.
    They were all really nice airports really top end.
    The parking areas were picture perfect with really nice taxi ways and long landing strips.
    Fly there and see for yourself. They are ease to find.
    VFRguy

Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast