Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did you fly today ?

Default Luxembourg vicinity, and somewhere in Croatia or maybe Greece?

Looking for a change of scenery today, I took off from Luxembourg, where I alighted in 1967 on my first trip to Europe, arriving on an Icelandic Airlines flight from New York (jet prop, via Keflavik). Not wanting to take a long flight, I picked the nearest airport and headed for it in the Beech Bonanza, following the magenta line on the GPS. It turned out to be a pretty obscure airstrip; it looked like a grass field. I circled to get a decent view of it, with no luck. Meanwhile, my ATC turned into a stuck record, with "me" repeating over and over and over that I was on final to land on runway 20. I turned off my speakers. I eventually ran out of patience, and not wanting to bail with the "ESC" key, I looked for somewhere to set down. I didn't see any likely looking highways, so I just landed the Bonanza in some farmer's field. I doubt the landing gear would've withstood the stress of the rough ground in RL.
    Name:  Luxemburg grounded.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  25.5 KB

After that, I started a "bush trip" from Rijeka, Croatia to Santorini. The first leg, in the Cessna 172, was supposed to take 40 minutes or so. I kept following the GPS magenta line, but when after close to an hour I hadn't come upon anything that looked like an airport, I veered off the presumed track and headed for the nearest one I could find, landing in the middle of seemingly nowhere. I shut down the engine and turned off all the electronics, figuring I'd be returned to the bush-trip flight plan with credit for something. But nothing happened. So I ESCd out of that and returned to the main menu, where my log showed I'd at least gotten credit for another hour of flight time. Also on the plus side, I didn't have a single CTD today!
    Last edited by Aptosflier; 04-13-2021 at 08:32 PM.
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

2. Red face Gibraltar (LXGB) to Alicante, Spain (LEAL)

Wanted to fly somewhere different and practice up in a DA-62 for a planned world tour. Also wanted to get a taste of a handcrafted airport and chose Gibraltar (I see the difference between that airport and others but, well, I just didn't care that much I guess. The takeoff was a lot of fun, though!).

Struggled a bit with the G1000 and having to re-learn a few things. Haven't gotten the hang of a proper approach without VNAV to tell me so and I guess the SimBrief planned altitudes were a bit off. I'll try using Little NavMap to customize my STAR and approach. I did like the CJ4's FMS doing that for me and have to learn to see if the G1000 will do that for me or not. I suppose I can always do it manually using VS mode and reference the approach plates for destination airports to hit that glidescope to capture it.

DA-62 is a nifty little plane with sporty speed, but man, it felt a little...cramped? I get the feeling that at 5'10", the top of my head would brush the ceiling!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpanishMts.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	324.1 KB 
ID:	226108

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cockpit.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	226109
    Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Been flying around San Francisco Bay area in my Spitfire...

Default TJSJ to TIST

Needing a change of scenery from our local Monterey Bay area, where I unimaginatively do most of my sim flying, I took off today from San Juan, Puerto Rico in the Beech Bonanza at dusk and flew to Cyril King Int. Airport (TIST), at Charlotte Amalie on St. Thomas. I was virtually revisiting the place, because I'd flown in there for real in November, 1968--from Philadelphia in a U.S. government-chartered plane--for Peace Corps training. I landed on RWY 10, after a final approach that brought me in low over the water, the runway threshold at Charlotte Amalie being essentially at the water's edge. They've changed the airport's name since I was last there 52-plus years ago. Back then it was Harry S. Truman Airport.

Name:  St. Thomas.png
Views: 123
Size:  133.8 KB
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

5. Default

KMRY to KTEX in the TBM-930 with live weather for the first time. Man, but is it CHOPPY up there!

ATC instructions were...confusing. I didn't know why they wanted me to fly at 14,000, then 13,000 the next minute, then back to 14,000 while my flight plan called for 30,000. At least I realize my mistake when landing at KTEX thinking they were wrong when they wanted me to land on the other side thinking they missed my approach or something. Technically, they *were* wrong because their instructions would've had me land with a 36-knot tail wind! It got a little hairy landing with that crosswind, but I managed it. Crosswind at cruising altitude was around 85 knots!

Was playing around a bit more with the head tracker with my webcam as well as using the Mobile Companion App (MCA). I'm getting used to the head tracker, but it's still slightly wonky. The MCA is a godsend. I wonder, however, if either or both of them are affecting the performance of my rig because while on approach, my FPS dropped down to as low as 10 and more or less hovered around the teens. I don't know if it was a combination of the terrain and my 3060 Ti just not being enough (despite cranking settings lower than preferred but since I use a 3440x1440 monitor, I had to).

Seems like I spend a LOT more time tweaking and setting up my flying experience than actually flying!
    Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Quote Originally Posted by CLE_GrummanTiger View Post
    KMRY to KTEX in the TBM-930 with live weather for the first time. Man, but is it CHOPPY up there!

ATC instructions were...confusing. I didn't know why they wanted me to fly at 14,000, then 13,000 the next minute, then back to 14,000 while my flight plan called for 30,000.

Was playing around a bit more with the head tracker with my webcam as well as using the Mobile Companion App (MCA). I'm getting used to the head tracker, but it's still slightly wonky.

Seems like I spend a LOT more time tweaking and setting up my flying experience than actually flying!
    Monterey to Telluride? How long did that take, and how did your landing go? KTEX is a challenging airport, being on a mesa. I’ve flown from Telluride to Gunnison (KGUC), taking off from Telluride being easier than landing there.

And why from Monterey? Do you live in the Monterey Bay Area? I do, and most days, do some landing practice at Watsonville—about eight miles from us in RL—before I fly somewhere else.

As for MSFS’s ATC altitude instructions, they’re nonsensical as far as I can tell. Once when I was flying from Santa Monica to Big Bear, following ATC’s directions would’ve sent me into a mountainside. I use “low-altitude IFR” in MSFS to get a detailed flight plan, with an ILS approach if one’s available, and then cancel IFR in the air to get rid of ATC’s irritating instructions.

As for head tracking, I’m happy with TrackIR 5. No tweaking is required once you have it dialed in to your liking. You just need to launch it and calibrate it—a matter of hitting F12 on your keyboard—before you launch MSFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Aptosflier View Post
    Monterey to Telluride? How long did that take, and how did your landing go? KTEX is a challenging airport, being on a mesa. I’ve flown from Telluride to Gunnison (KGUC), taking off from Telluride being easier than landing there.

And why from Monterey? Do you live in the Monterey Bay Area? I do, and most days, do some landing practice at Watsonville—about eight miles from us in RL—before I fly somewhere else.

As for MSFS’s ATC altitude instructions, they’re nonsensical as far as I can tell. Once when I was flying from Santa Monica to Big Bear, following ATC’s directions would’ve sent me into a mountainside. I use “low-altitude IFR” in MSFS to get a detailed flight plan, with an ILS approach if one’s available, and then cancel IFR in the air to get rid of ATC’s irritating instructions.

As for head tracking, I’m happy with TrackIR 5. No tweaking is required once you have it dialed in to your liking. You just need to launch it and calibrate it—a matter of hitting F12 on your keyboard—before you launch MSFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, I cheated a bit with the time, I sped it up several times throughout the flight, but all told it took me maybe 2 hours for what I think is normally 3 hours.

Monterey because, I dunno, it just kind of popped up there for me and maybe because my brother-in-law was stationed nearby for a time, though I've never been there.

Just when I finally get the hang of using ATC (except maybe forgetting to acknowledge now and then), ATC goes and throws all kinds of weird instructions at me. No, I'm not going to cruise at 14,000 in an aircraft capable of up to 31,000! Especially over those mountains!

Quote Originally Posted by CLE_GrummanTiger View Post
    Just when I finally get the hang of using ATC (except maybe forgetting to acknowledge now and then), ATC goes and throws all kinds of weird instructions at me. No, I'm not going to cruise at 14,000 in an aircraft capable of up to 31,000! Especially over those mountains!
    With the exception of Mt. Whitney in California (which one could easily circumvent), there aren't any 14,000-ft. peaks between Monterey and Telluride, or anywhere else in "lower 48" for that matter, so I'd be comfortable cruising at 14,000 ft. But when I "flew" from Telluride to Gunnison, I don't think I went much higher than 11,000--just enough to ensure I'd comfortably clear all the mountain peaks enroute. I have yet to fly at commercial airline flight levels in the sim. I'm leery of managing a descent from such heights.

Enroute to KGUC in the Cessna 172
    Name:  KGUC 4-26.png
Views: 107
Size:  290.4 KB

Decided to log some AP time so a trip to the islands was calling my name. B747-8i KSEA to PHNL IFR flight. Pushed back and departed from the north cargo facility. With Live players turned off Live traffic was pretty impressive and at 15:45 local there was lots of landing and departing from Sea-Tac. Nice smooth climb out flying runway hdg till just east of Tacoma and at roughly 6000AGL I flipped on the auto pilot and baby sat that thing all the way to 30k ft where if you are flying the 747 you need to retard your VS roughly to the 400-750 FPM to avoid the porpoising that often happens if you leave the VS too high. 20mins later im at 38K feet and time for cocktails. Smooth flight with no issues except for when my cat stepped on the keyboard and deployed the speed brakes and next thing I knew im down to 200 IAS falling through 28k ft. So much for getting a nap in. Anyways quickly recovered reset everything back to 38k and all was good. Nice easy approach into Rwy 8L with a smooth TD and roll out..Good thing there was plenty of runway because I forgot to deploy the thrust reversers. Taxi to the gate was easy and all in all was a very nice flight roughly 5:30 in duration.. but now its time for a Mai Tai at the Outrigger and thoughts of warmer climes.

Adak to King Salmon, Alaska. CJ4 at 25000. Flight time 2.5 hrs. This was a real bumpy ride with live weather enabled.

Name:  ADAK-TO-KING-SALMON.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  32.0 KB

Name:  ADAK-TO-KING-SALMON-2.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  76.5 KB

Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast