Where did you fly today ?

Flew the Cessna 172 "Global" IFR from Watsonville to RWY 30L San Jose (again; I'm in a rut) and returned to Watsonville VFR. This time--unlike yesterday and the day before from Monterey--the Garmin 1000 gave me a choice between two routes--one that would take me a long way around, to the IFR approach used by air traffic arriving from the east, and a more direct route up the Santa Clara Valley. I think maybe the multiple waypoint options on offer in the Garmin this time had something to do with the low-level IFR approach option I selected in the drop-down menu on the World map today. (I should've written it down.) Like yesterday, the autopilot veered off course, forcing me to disengage it, manually fly the Cessna back to the the line on the map marking the final approach course, and re-engage the AP to continue the ILS landing. I'm not sure why this is happening. Maybe the AP's NAV setting is un-setting when I fiddle with another setting like altitude? I'll have to watch that button on my Logitech multi-panel more closely.

Are you setting your autopilot to fly the ILS route from the very start to the runway? Maybe that's what is throwing you off (just as it did me for a while). As someone else mentioned, the route from A to Z is not designed per se for a small plane but for an airliner. If you follow it you might be yanked backwards from your location to some waypoint that seemingly makes no sense for you.

It makes more sense for me, per a real pilot's advice here, to choose my preferred location once lined up with the runway, and only then intercept the localizer to take advantage of ILS.

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you save your last location from day to day? Or do you have to file a new flight plan every day for the next leg of your trip?

Little Navmap makes it pretty easy. I kind of do a hybrid of your two options. My trip is recorded by LN. Whenever I fly I first go to LN and tell it to transmit my plan to MSFS.

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

First time since the World Update, took a jim-dandy flight in my little Aerolite 103 along the river Thames. Took off from a small aerodrome south of the city, as I slowly neared the river, the POI markers began sprouting up like pine tees in a forest - lol

I will doubtless be making some serious sight-seeing flight in the future. Very impressive IMHO.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Flew the Cessna 172 "Global" IFR from Watsonville to RWY 30L San Jose (again; I'm in a rut) and returned to Watsonville VFR. This time--unlike yesterday and the day before from Monterey--the Garmin 1000 gave me a choice between two routes--one that would take me a long way around, to the IFR approach used by air traffic arriving from the east, and a more direct route up the Santa Clara Valley. I think maybe the multiple waypoint options on offer in the Garmin this time had something to do with the low-level IFR approach option I selected in the drop-down menu on the World map today. (I should've written it down.) Like yesterday, the autopilot veered off course, forcing me to disengage it, manually fly the Cessna back to the the line on the map marking the final approach course, and re-engage the AP to continue the ILS landing. I'm not sure why this is happening. Maybe the AP's NAV setting is un-setting when I fiddle with another setting like altitude? I'll have to watch that button on my Logitech multi-panel more closely. I made a respectable landing at KSJC. I can't say the same for my landing on RWY 20 back at Watsonville. As usual for me, I came in too high. I didn't want to go around, so I forced the issue, eating up nearly all the runway in the process. I taxied back to the ramp area like a drunken sailor, killed the engine, and toggled off the master switches. Then I tried to go back to the main screen to shut down the sim and MSFS CTD'd. At least it didn't happen in mid-flight. But when I checked my log book after restarting my PC and relaunching MSFS, I discovered I didn't get any credit for the flight time I put in flying back to Watsonville. I guess because it wasn't in my original flight plan. Anyway, I was ticked.

I think what is happening to you with the AP might be a bug I've noticed. If you enter a "Procedure" for an airport after you've passed your last waypoint in the flight plan the AP will take you back to that last waypoint before continuing with the "Procedure".

Try that flight again either IFR with waypoints or put in E16 (South County airport) as an interim waypoint. That way you have time after takeoff and before E16 to select the ILS30L Approach. Make sure you select the KLIDE transition so it doesn't take 40 minutes.

Little Navmap makes it pretty easy. I kind of do a hybrid of your two options. My trip is recorded by LN. Whenever I fly I first go to LN and tell it to transmit my plan to MSFS.

First I've heard of Little Navmap. I will give it a try. Every day, I learn something new here. Thanks.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I think what is happening to you with the AP might be a bug I've noticed. If you enter a "Procedure" for an airport after you've passed your last waypoint in the flight plan the AP will take you back to that last waypoint before continuing with the "Procedure".

Try that flight again either IFR with waypoints or put in E16 (South County airport) as an interim waypoint. That way you have time after takeoff and before E16 to select the ILS30L Approach. Make sure you select the KLIDE transition so it doesn't take 40 minutes.

I enter the approach procedure before I take off. Yesterday, I was able to select KLIDE (instead of the out-of-the-way "BORING"; not its exact name) for my first waypoint, and a straight-in approach, and the AP was supposed to take me there. Nevertheless, it wandered to the east of the "magenta line," forcing me to disengage the AP and manually fly back to it before re-engaging the AP. Next it wandered off course to the left of the final approach line--after KLIDE--so I turned off the AP, banked right back to the approach course, re-engaged the AP, and after that things worked fine. I need to pay more attention to my Logitech flight multi-panel. I suspect the NAV function somehow disengages (the button goes dark); don't know in what context, however.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Are you setting your autopilot to fly the ILS route from the very start to the runway? ...It makes more sense for me, per a real pilot's advice here, to choose my preferred location once lined up with the runway, and only then intercept the localizer to take advantage of ILS.

I don't engage the autopilot until I'm in the air and have intersected the flight-plan route. Yes, it makes sense to just manually fly to the first waypoint on the localizer, at the altitude noted for that waypoint in the approach chart.

I don't engage the autopilot until I'm in the air and have intersected the flight-plan route. Yes, it makes sense to just manually fly to the first waypoint on the localizer, at the altitude noted for that waypoint in the approach chart.

I have a feeling that, as someone just noted, MSFS's version of autopilot and ILS is still very buggy. If I do ever end up taking real-life flight lessons one day I am probably going to be so confused by the difference between reality and MSFS-land. (I am enrolled in ground school at the moment; still plugging away).

Well, still flying ATM (been meanning to do this flight since last Saturday). B777 from Canberra (YSCB) to Darwin (YPDN) IFR. Southen area to the top end of Australia. Fairly easy once I relearned all the autopilot controls too :-)

One things that irks me though is I can't find a ready map showing my overall progress? Iknow I can use the VFR map to watch, however it only zooms out so far?

Well, still flying ATM (been meanning to do this flight since last Saturday). B777 from Canberra (YSCB) to Darwin (YPDN) IFR. Southen area to the top end of Australia. Fairly easy once I relearned all the autopilot controls too :-)

One things that irks me though is I can't find a ready map showing my overall progress? Iknow I can use the VFR map to watch, however it only zooms out so far?

Little Navmap is very convenient for this function. You will have to tab to its separate window when you want that larger view, but as far as I know it's the best way to accomplish this for now. And the tabbing doesn't bother me that much.

Took off in the Cessna 172 from Santa Monica today dubious about the flight plan I'd accepted for Santa Barbara, but curious about it all the same. Common sense would dictate flying up the coast, but the FP I selected first sent me northeast over the Santa Monica Mountains, to the San Fernando Valley southeast of Hollywood/Burbank (Bob Hope) airport, then looped me around across some more mountain ridges toward the west, crossing the San Fernando Valley again north of Whiteman Airport in Pacoima. After that, the FP intersected with an east/west track at which point, the autopilot decided to go somewhere other than Santa Barbara. Why that was even an option, given the plan I'd "filed," I don't know. Anyway, I wrested the controls away from the AP and followed the line on the map that was going the right way. As I got farther along, I occasionally re-engaged the AP to see what it would do, and damn if it didn't want to head east again. So I continued flying the Cessna myself, following the map course to and through all the successive waypoints enroute to the beginning of the ILS approach to RWY 7 at KSBA. I re-engaged the autopilot at the first approach waypoint, and now it behaved flawlessly.

I still managed to bungle what was left of the final approach, coming in high again. (I was landing with full flaps; when I saw I was on the high side, I should've raised them; next time.) ATC apparently noted this and told me to go around. But having already invested more than an hour in this flight, I ignored her and landed--very, very long. It was probably just as well. Shortly after I touched down at the far reaches of RWY 7--by that point, really the start of RWY 25--another plane took off coming the other way, just missing me. First time I've seen that in MSFS. I picked RWY 7 because when I left KSMO, that was the heading into the wind. If the wind had shifted forcing a change enroute, ATC never told me. ATC did keep telling me to "climb and maintain two-four-zero feet." I'd filed a low-level IFR plan to Santa Barbara; I was flying in a Cessna 172 at 5,000 to 6,000 feet at that point; did that mean ATC wanted me to climb to 24,000 feet? I ignored them, and they kept insisting. I tried to request a lower altitude, but it turns out almost every selection option in the ATC menu is moving target. So I gave up on that and just cussed at them until they gave up.

I don't regret flying today's roundabout route. The mountain scenery was dramatic. I flew over an area I'd driven through many times before--along I-5 through the San Fernando Valley to "the 405"--but of course I'd never seen what lay over those mountain ridges beyond the interstate highway before, at least not up close and personal in a small plane. So today's flight was a virtual voyage of discovery for me. Thank you, Asobo.

Continuing my practice of repeating flights I'm not entirely happy with the first time, I flew the Cessna 172 (Global) from Santa Monica to Santa Barbara again today. Instead of selecting low-level IFR (on the World Map screen) for my flight plan, I chose VOR to VOR. This gave me a route that took me across a low mountain range to Point Mugu Naval Air Station or thereabouts and then seaward of the coastline to a boxy landing pattern intersecting with the initial waypoint of the KSBA localizer and the final approach to RWY 7 at KSBA--per the routing in the procedures menu of the G1000 MFD, which I loaded into the AP before taking off.

I took off to the east from KSMO (as the wind direction in live weather dictated) and circled back to intersect the flight path, which is when I turned on the autopilot. The AP behaved very nicely throughout the flight, until final approach. I used the altitude and VS settings on my Logitech multipanel as needed to clear the intervening mountains and descend again to 3,500 feet, the recommended altitude at the first waypoint on KSBA's RWY 7 approach plate. The full approach involved two 90-degree turns, the last being onto final approach, which the AP executed flawlessly. So far, so good. Unfortunately on final, the AP lost the localizer center line. When I saw that the Cessna wasn't lining up--the vertical green line on the G1000 PFD was offset to the left rather than centered, and not budging--I disengaged the AP earlier than I had intended and flew the rest of the way myself. I landed long again, but more smoothly than the last time. Flight time: a little over an hour.

I'm getting close to reaching the Arctic Ocean on my Cessna 172 journey across Alaska, in live weather in February/March, most of which has been borderline suicidal so far. There was literally zero visibility on my latest leg. Without the fancy G1000 installed in the MSFS version of this plane, I would have no chance of finding the runway, much less avoiding most mountains.

To finish this journey, I will attempt to wait things out until the weather actually clears up, which again may be a pipe dream in March in Alaska, but I'll see. Full details and pics here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/trip-journal-alaska-top-to-bottom-in-a-cessna-172/372044/7?u=sudburian

Flight for Saturday Morning 3/6 depending on weather: CYFB (Iqaluit Canada) to BGGH (Nuuk Greenland). The flight will be conducted with VOR and NDB there will be a blind spot over the ocean for over an hour. This depends on the wind... I have studied the wind charts and a majority of the fight I will get a tailwind vector.

Aircraft: Cessna 172S (Around the World from KFRG - currently parked at Iqaluit)

Altitude: 9500 or 11500

Time: Real Weather/Real Time

Total Flight Plan Distance: 451 nautical miles

After Takeoff on 109 Degree Radial YFB VOR 117.4 MHz FROM Flag track to MUSVA (146 NM)

Before arriving to MUSVA determine wind direction and ground speed as accurately as possible and determine time to MUSVA, correct for gyro drift with magnetic compass every 15 minutes.

At MUSVA (estimate) heading 116 TO 6455N (no radio beacon) estimate time based on ground speed and wind. Correct for gyro drift with magnetic compass every 15 minutes.

At 6455N (estimate) Home to KU NDB 298.000 distance to go (79nm)

At KU NDB fly heading 094 for 8nm (airport to your slight left)

I will not use GPS unless absolutely necessary. Want to test my skills.

Started: Flight Simulator 98 (Year 1999)

Private Pilot Certificate ASEL: August 7th 2014

A local-ish flight, took the C-172 for a spin from KBKL (Burke Lakefront off downtown Cleveland) to 3W2 (Put-in-Bay).

This was my first real flight, I guess you could say? Did a basic flight plan with Little NavMap with Cedar Point as a waypoint, hoping to see those roller coasters and other rides like I used to when I flew with my dad in his Tiger (I was sorely disappointed, by the way).

In any case, I pretty much stuck to the flight plan, leveling off at 5500 ft but it took some finagling with the elevator trim to keep it there after I discovered that the autopilot just kind of wanted to do its own thing (what is with that?). A little bit surprised there was no ATC at Put-in-Bay, I guess some small airports don't bother with that if it's not busy enough? So, I figured out which way I had to land and landed I did!

Side question, does time acceleration work in manual flights or do I need to enable autopilot for that? Eventually I want to use it for longer duration flights but don't want to crash if time acceleration doesn't lock in my flight controls.

Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

A local-ish flight, took the C-172 for a spin from KBKL (Burke Lakefront off downtown Cleveland) to 3W2 (Put-in-Bay).

This was my first real flight, I guess you could say? Did a basic flight plan with Little NavMap with Cedar Point as a waypoint, hoping to see those roller coasters and other rides like I used to when I flew with my dad in his Tiger (I was sorely disappointed, by the way).

In any case, I pretty much stuck to the flight plan, leveling off at 5500 ft but it took some finagling with the elevator trim to keep it there after I discovered that the autopilot just kind of wanted to do its own thing (what is with that?). A little bit surprised there was no ATC at Put-in-Bay, I guess some small airports don't bother with that if it's not busy enough? So, I figured out which way I had to land and landed I did!

Side question, does time acceleration work in manual flights or do I need to enable autopilot for that? Eventually I want to use it for longer duration flights but don't want to crash if time acceleration doesn't lock in my flight controls.

There are many trained pilots here so I speak humbly and subject to correction, but in the US many small airports are "non-towered," so there is no ATC. Instead, pilots in the area tune in to the "traffic" frequency for that airport, and publicly announce their intentions one at a time. That way the pilots in theory are all communicating with each other, rather than relying on an ATC professional to do the communicating and coordinating. Of course this assumes and requires that pilots actually do tune in to the traffic frequency, and accurately communicate their position and intention, and that they do so frequently.

"Side question, does time acceleration work in manual flights or do I need to enable autopilot for that? Eventually I want to use it for longer duration flights but don't want to crash if time acceleration doesn't lock in my flight controls."

Time acceleration works with or without autopilot. The problem with it is there is no way to tell what rate is currently on. I've got a little sticky that I put on the keyboard when I use acceleration and I always use ++ so I know how many to undo when I'm ready.

Put In Bay is a party Is. Hope you did partake in the festivities. :)
I-7 9700 OC to 4.7Ghz, MPG 2390 Mobo, 32 Gig ram, Dark Rock Pro fan, 1-TB SSD, 4-TB rotating drive, RTX 2070 Super, LG 34" curved monitor, Honeycomb Yoke and Throttle quadrant, Windows 10.​

Flew landing patterns at Watsonville, first in the single-engine Beechcraft Bonanza, then in the twin-engine Beech Baron, and finally in the Austrian-made, twin-engine Diamond DA62. I'd gotten pretty comfortable with the Cessna 172, and wanted to see if I could translate what I'd learned flying that plane to higher-performance aircraft. I learned once again that I don't have a clue how to fly the Bonanza, that I can handle the Baron somewhat better, and that I really like flying the Diamond twin, which is more forgiving than the first two. I really need to improve my seat-of-the-pants landing skills: trimming for level flight at 1,200 feet for pattern entry, descending and slowing the aircraft on base, lining up with the runway, while transitioning from base to final, further slowing on final while staying in line with the runway, deploying flaps, throttling up or down as needed, remembering to lower the landing gear, and remembering to check if they're actually down. (The landing-gear switch on my Logitech throttle quadrant is a bit touchy; I have to either look down to see if the three green lights are on, or switch to external view to confirm the wheels are down and locked in place.)

I managed to put each plane on the runway more than once, but most of the landings were ugly--too fast, too long, to hard, you name it. I had an excuse of sorts with the Baron, aside from my general incompetence with that plane: I flew it in live weather, which for some reason was awful over at Watsonville even though it was clear as bell at our house, ten miles away. The airport was socked in. I took off anyway, and tried to navigate with the Garmin and the drop-down map. I could not see the airport off my wing through the ground fog and couldn't see the runway as I tried to line up with it. Only the lights were dimly visible. In other words, only a fool would take off and try to land there in those conditions. Fortunately, MSFS suffers fools.

My last landing of the day in the Diamond went pretty well. I think I'll climb back into that cockpit for some more practice tomorrow.

Aircraft: Cessna 172S (Around the World from KFRG - currently parked at Iqaluit)

Dumb question: When you're doing a long multi-day/month trip like this, do you click "save" the flight to take off from airport where you last left the plane the next day (or whenever)?

Edited by Aptosflier

"Side question, does time acceleration work in manual flights or do I need to enable autopilot for that? Eventually I want to use it for longer duration flights but don't want to crash if time acceleration doesn't lock in my flight controls."

Time acceleration works with or without autopilot. The problem with it is there is no way to tell what rate is currently on. I've got a little sticky that I put on the keyboard when I use acceleration and I always use ++ so I know how many to undo when I'm ready.

Ahhh, thanks. Good to know. Maybe they’ll address that in a future update with a small on screen display a la fps display.

Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Put In Bay is a party Is. Hope you did partake in the festivities. :)

Once...long ago! Hail fellow Clevelander!

Since day after Christmas I have just used the C172 (with analogue instruments) just to learn how to fly and control this aircraft. I have flown between several different airports learning how to navigate and use the autopilot. And practice take offs and landings. All this was done with a clear skies or, recently, light clouds and wind. Today I decided to try different weather, pouring rain and poor visibility. ATC wouldn't let me taxi to take off do to IFR requirements. I persisted and the let me take off. The rain droplets look fantastic on the windshield and the pockets of heavy rain or fog are scary to fly though. It looked so realistic flying through the columns of fog and rain. I could not see anything out of the windows and had to use the instruments to fly so I wouldn't crash into the ground. Lucky I practiced so much. I got lost and had to call ATC to give me directions back to the airport, but I made it and landed fine.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

Attempted Aspen to Telluride in a C-172. A few times. Kept stalling and crashing shortly after take-off trying to avoid mountains. Guess I’ll need to learn to fly a turbo before trying that again. And nav aids. Did complete a couple of landing challenges, though!