Where did you fly today ?

So you're saying that all i7 9700s will run fine at 4.7 gigs?

Then why didn't Intel just clock them all that way?

BTW do you know what temperature yours is running at?

His?

Please point out exactly where I said So you're saying that "all i7 9700s will run fine at 4.7 gigs?"

Edited by kevinfolsom

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a question, it had a question mark.

What was the point of your post?

I was left with the idea that you think overclocking couldn't be the cause of his CTDs.

That sure seemed to be what you were saying.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

I flew in rural Minnesota live weather today. Presumably nobody did that in real life for a non-equipped plane, because doing so appears to be fatal.

In my first attempt, Cessna 172, the plane literally would not climb past about 100 feet. It crashed into trees at such a low speed that I might have actually survived the crash (but then I would die in the cold).

I next upgraded to what I thought would be the safer bet of a Beechcraft Bonanza. It seemed like it was the safe bet for a while. But just a few minutes from my destination, I guess the ice accumulation was too much for the plane to handle and it sunk like a rock.

If anyone reading this knows: what is a general aviation plane that pilots fly in extreme cold conditions (that is available on MSFS, if any)?

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

No plane will fly with an ice accumulation, but they'll all fly when it's cold (it's always cold at altitude).

When its super cold (Minnesota cold) there will be no icing because the moisture is already frozen.

I just went to northern MN and took off in a 172 with the temp set to -38c and it went fine, but there was a pond that had water in it, not ice. I have never used live weather before, and when I tried it again just now, I didn't see any snow and it said the temp was 15c, I must be doing something wrong.

I saw snow at Aspen the last time I was there.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

No plane will fly with an ice accumulation, but they'll all fly when it's cold (it's always cold at altitude).

When its super cold (Minnesota cold) there will be no icing because the moisture is already frozen.

I just went to northern MN and took off in a 172 with the temp set to -38c and it went fine, but there was a pond that had water in it, not ice. I have never used live weather before, and when I tried it again just now, I didn't see any snow and it said the temp was 15c, I must be doing something wrong.

I saw snow at Aspen the last time I was there.

Live weather on MSFS is still very hit or miss. I too have seen temps of 15 degrees celsius, in Nepal, in February, at a mountain air strip.

Doesn’t bother me much as it works most of the time. People who really and truly want accurate weather every time can purchase add-ons. I tried one and it kept crashing the game.

Live weather in warm Pacific islands seems to work really well. Flying among clouds and rain is really cool, especially with VR but even without it.

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

In the Beech Baron, VFR, RNAV via Salinas VOR to RWY 10R. Decent landing at Monterey; but forced the issue back at Watsonville, bouncing the Baron at least once, but cleared RWY 20 at Watsonville still functional. Call me a stick in the mud, but I'm not wild about the fancy new avionics. When I set my flight plan for VOR as opposed to GPS, the course from Watsonville to Salinas and from there to Monterey came up on the Garmin screen, and all I had to do was follow the screen's dotted line, as it were (a solid orange line, actually, turning yellow on the final leg). I know this must make a pilot's job easier in a real plane, but I prefer the satisfaction I get from entering the VOR and localizer/glideslope frequencies into the NAV radio in the 172 and lining up the OBS and localizer needles just right.

Wanting to understand more about the Garmin NAV system, I watched a YouTube video posted by a for-real pilot in an actual plane who demonstrated how he could enter a flight plan and all the related frequencies into the Garmin, take off, engage the autopilot, and enjoy the ride. Boooring!

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Why do you overclock your CPU?

My CPU usage seldom gets above 25%, it seems to me that your CPU, at factory setting, would have no trouble keeping up with MSFS.

You are probably correct as my CPU runs in the 40%/40C using mostly Ultra settings. My video card is more of a bottleneck @70C/100%. I don't think the minor OC'g is the culprit but I might turn Turbo Boost off and retry the same trip. I am not an expert in anything but my CTD's usually happen on longer flights.

Edited by pops52
I-7 9700 OC to 4.7Ghz, MPG 2390 Mobo, 32 Gig ram, Dark Rock Pro fan, 1-TB SSD, 4-TB rotating drive, RTX 2070 Super, LG 34" curved monitor, Honeycomb Yoke and Throttle quadrant, Windows 10.​

I took a flight down the east coast of Kent, UK today , heading for the white cliffs of Dover to see if the UK update had improved this area. Whilst flying along the cliffs thinking that they looked the same the LOD suddenly kicked in and boom! Stunning.

They look fantastic when the detail shows, its just a shame that Asobo couldn't give us more LOD so that we could see them at distance, I was really close before I saw them.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Quick practice jaunt from Flagstaff to Sedona this morning. KFLG-KSEZ. Total flight time is less than 15 minutes, if you cheat and don't do a pattern landing of course.

I live in Sedona, so I have flown over my house before (and landed on my street). The scenery in MSFS is great, although as a Sedona resident I know the rock structures so well that I can recognize their shapes, and MSFS has not nailed those shapes down and nor would I expect it to. There is an add-on you can install that does nail the rock shapes down perfectly, but I candidly don't really use it anymore as it affects frame rate. The MSFS default for Sedona is pretty darn good, and that's good enough for me.

Nice flight over the Rockies from Denver (KDEN) to Eagle County Reginal (KEGE)

Screenshot (816C).jpg

Screenshot (810C).jpg

I-7 9700 OC to 4.7Ghz, MPG 2390 Mobo, 32 Gig ram, Dark Rock Pro fan, 1-TB SSD, 4-TB rotating drive, RTX 2070 Super, LG 34" curved monitor, Honeycomb Yoke and Throttle quadrant, Windows 10.​

Nowhere. I’m suddenly plagued by CTD’s after 15 minutes of flying. Starting to ruin the experience.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

I set a VFR flight plan (via VOR) from Santa Monica to Big Bear and took off in live--clear--weather in the Cessna 172 with the Garmin 1000 instrument panel, navigating manually by following the track on the Garmin screen. I'm understanding the Garmin better. When you set a flight plan, it's entered into the Garmin and displayed as a track on the MFD (multi-function display) screen--the one to the right. You don't have to trouble yourself with setting the VOR frequencies. The flight across the LA and over the San Bernardino Mountains to touchdown at Big Bear took nearly an hour in the 172. I spent most of that time climbing to the 11,000-plus-foot altitude I needed to comfortably clear the mountain ridge south of the airport before dropping into Big Bear Valley to land. The flight-plan track brought me to the entry of the landing pattern for RWY 26 at Big Bear City (denoted by MSFS's bracketed highway in the sky for cheaters). The landing went reasonably smoothly until the last 10-15 seconds of final. That's the point where I was hampered (I'm gonna insist I was) by a flight dynamics bug in Asobo's most recent software update, affecting the use of flaps. You can read the above-linked article for details, but the bottom line is that until the bug's fixed, flaps will be more of a hindrance than a help on final. I was able to regain terra firma with the plane in one piece, but I used up a lot of runway doing it.

This was a sentimental journey for me, because I'd ski-bummed at Big Bear during the winter of 1973-74, working for minimum wage in the ski-rental shop at the Big Bear's "premier" ski area, Snow Summit (and skiing on days off). I could see the ski area's familiar runs out of the Cessna's right-hand window as I entered the downwind leg of the landing pattern at Big Bear City. I give high marks to Asobo for their accurate representation of Snow Summit. I was hoping to see snow on the ski runs, but they were bone dry in the sim when I flew in, despite "live weather"--and this, despite the ski area reporting a 46-inch base today. Actually that's not surprising. Big Bear is only two hours from Southern California's beaches. Daytime temps there are hitting 50 degrees and higher now. And Snow Summit often makes it through the mild SoCal winters by blanketing its runs with machine-made snow. Machine snow not being part of the weather forecast, I wouldn't expect the sim to show it.

Today's flight was a redo of a near-disastrous trip from Santa Monica to L35 yesterday, when I flew off course and would up on the wrong side of--and below--the mountain ridge overlooking the airport. I had to climb 1,500-2,000 feet or so to clear the ridge and land. I blame this on MSFS's AI flight controllers. Though I filed the same VOR-guided flight plan yesterday, I thought it would be a good idea to go on IFR with ATC's guidance. This resulted in ATC telling me to gain altitude, followed by an order to shed altitude, followed by an order to gain altitude again--for reasons I didn't understand. I tried to be a good scout and obey ATC, but in the process, I flew way off course and ended up in the wrong mountain valley. I went back to Big Bear today to get it right--without ATC's "help." I just wish I could've stuck the landing.

One take-away from today's trip: If I'm gonna fly planes with new-fangled--and confusing-to-me--high-tech avionics screens, I gotta learn to use the AP.

A final note: In a previous post, I faulted Asobo for not showing a low-rise apartment complex adjacent to L.A.'s Marina del Rey channel where we'd lived for several years on the late '90s. I looked for it again flying out of SMO, and it's there. I could see the building where our apartment was. Now if I could just fnd our house here in Aptos...

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

This was a sentimental journey for me, because I'd ski-bummed at Big Bear during the winter of 1973-74, working for minimum wage in the ski-rental shop at the Big Bear's "premier" ski area, Snow Summit (and skiing on days off). I could see the ski area's familiar runs out of the Cessna's right-hand window as I entered the downwind leg of the landing pattern at Big Bear City. I give high marks to Asobo for their accurate representation of Snow Summit. I was hoping to see snow on the ski runs, but they were bone dry in the sim when I flew in, despite "live weather"--and this, despite the ski area reporting a 46-inch base today. Actually that's not surprising. Big Bear is only two hours from Southern California's beaches. Daytime temps there are hitting 50 degrees and higher now. And Snow Summit often makes it through the mild SoCal winters by blanketing its runs with machine-made snow. Machine snow not being part of the weather forecast, I wouldn't expect the sim to show it.

I grew up in the IE, and I remember Big Bear being an interesting place. I've enjoyed doing a couple short flights into that airport just because the scenery is very interesting.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

I wanted to fly over a place I've visited in real life as a child, in the Himalayan mountains of India: Rohtang Pass. So I planned a route from one of the most magical towns in the world, a mountain village named Manali which has an MSFS airport, up to Rohtang's windy and terrifying jeep road, and back down from the Himalayan range to a nearby airport named Gaggal.

Manali elevation: 3,562 feet.

Elevation of mountains by Rohtang Pass: 18,000 feet.

Gaggal elevation: 2,461.

Clearly my sentimental favorite, a 172, was not going to do. I don't like flying jets or big planes either. The wind was strong so I wanted something small that would challenge me. I settled for the Diamond A62, as it's one of the only small planes that has a ceiling limit of 20,000. I assume that a plane this fancy is something I will never realistically fly in real life, on a regular basis anyway, but not much else was going to make it.

Autopilot was not useful because the Diamond did not climb fast enough to match the magenta line. I had to follow river canyons instead while gaining altitude. Eventually it did reach 19,800 feet though. I had no problem reaching Rohtang Pass, and seeing it gave me chills thinking about the fact that a no-name jeep driver actually drove my family up those treacherous roads. One false step and we would all be dead. I am sure there actually are many automobile deaths at Rohtang every year.

Screenshot (49).jpg

Landing at Gaggal was uneventful. It is a pretty area of India even though not in the mountains itself. The entire Indian state of Himachal Pradesh is gorgeous.

I didn't have a lot of time to fly this afternoon, but made the most of it. First, I tried out a different plane, the ION A5. I did a practice landing pattern at Watsonville, touched and went, and flew up the coast a short way to see if I could spot our house; I didn't find it, but I know it's gotta be there, as the detail of the neighborhood is pretty spot on. The A5 is a float plane, so maybe I'll try to land it in Monterey Bay sometime. (Any tips for landing in light chop?) Next, I did a reasonably decent landing at Watsonville in a Beechcraft Bonanza and then took it for a short flight to Monterey Regional Airport, using the autopilot for much of the route. Took over the controls a couple of miles or so out from the bracketed landing pattern (I'm still cheating) and bounced it a couple of times on Rwy 10R at Monterey, but was still able to taxi off the runway and park it.

I'm getting more comfortable using the Garmin G1000, up to a point--the point being where I have to disengage the AP to land the plane, without the visual cues of the localizer/ILS gauge in a simpler instrument stack like those of the Cessna 172 (minus the Garmin) and the Cessna 152. I find it hard to believe there isn't some similar visual reference in the Garmin PFD (primary flight display) screen, but I have yet to find it. Does anybody know if there is one and what it looks like?

Speaking of the Beech Bonanza, an interesting bit of history: When it was first introduced, it was called the "doctor killer." Read on...

My favorite Canadian province is Québec, so I decided today on a rural route through live weather in the Gaspé region. It being two time zones ahead of me this was a suicidal decision obviously, but I managed to survive. I did it in VR but still managed to take some photos.

I took off from Rivière aux Saumons, a small airport on an island off the Gaspé peninsula. I tried to route it as realistically as I could even though the decision to fly was not realistic at all. To reach the mainland and my eventual destination, Bonaventure, I had to fly across a stretch of ocean for about 40 nm. I shortened it as much as possible, flying along the island's coast to the point that jutted out closest to the mainland. I had nice weather for much of this but with about 10 nm to go and the sun beginning to set, the Cessna 172 began experiencing problems.

I recklessly decided to cruise on this trip at about 5,000 feet altitude. Ignoring the weather patterns made this choice an especially poor one. At 2,000 feet I was pretty much okay, but as soon as I climbed up to 5,000, the windshield became "crystallized" and I could see ice on the wings. Only after I had iced the wings did I turn on the Garmin 1000's weather radar function, to see clearly that remaining at 2,000 may have prevented the icing. Still, I plugged along but the weather grew continuously worse. Also, in real life I had some work matters to do and this high-risk flight that was demanding my attention full-time was not letting me do it. So I decided to find the nearest airport--again using only the Garmin 1000---and found that I was almost on top of an airport for one of Canada's national parks. Name of the park... are you ready for this, francophiles?... Parc national de l'Île-Bonaventure-et-du-Rocher-Percé.

Visibility was good enough to land comfortably. I pulled up to the fuel pump and turned off the engine and all power.

After addressing my RL work issues, I decided to go back and try and depart in live weather and time even though this was an even more ridiculous choice than the first one. Not only had my plane iced up en route to the Parc airport where I was now parked, but it was 630pm and therefore pitch black. Compounding my difficulties was the truly lame AI behind Microsoft's ATC. Since I literally had no visibility...

PQ1.jpg

I would obviously rely on IFR to reach my destination, right? But MSFS ATC is especially useless in emergency or high stress situations. It kept telling me to climb to 6,000 feet for one thing. Since I was physically incapable of doing so but I didn't want to turn IFR off, ATC repeated its "please climb to 6,000 feet" instruction probably 20 times in a row. Also, right in the middle of my desperately flailing away with the controls to keep from crashing into the darkness, ATC would demand that I acknowledge its instructions, which you can only do by hitting keys on the keyboard. There is not even an attempt by Microsoft here to simulate how real ATC would respond if you called them up and said, "I'm in huge trouble. I think I might die. Please help me."

For complex reasons that I don't understand, the Cessna would often sink to as close as 200 feet above the ground while almost stalling, in this weather. Other times, it would get a seeming jolt of energy and be able to climb up to 1,200 feet for a while, which kept me barely alive. The strength of MSFS graphics plus VR really shone through here, as I could see tiny houses with their lights on just below me, helping me avoid total visual disorientation. You can see one little house in the middle of this screenshot:

PQ2.jpg

Despite ATC doing everything in its power to murder me, and despite autopilot not working because I was constantly stalling, I finally managed to get within 1 nm of the Bonaventure airport. The only problem was that I couldn't actually see it. What happened next can probably be best described as a fish flopping around on the ground and accidentally falling back into the water. While violently pitching from one angle to another, I magically saw the runway lights show up right below me when I was at an almost-stall speed. Miraculously, I managed to nail an almost perfect landing. I won this round. Final scene:

PQ3.jpg

One of my favorite arrivals, of course. Especially after I got the Boryspil' scenery and taxiing my Concorde up to the ramp. Always a pleasure, using this arrival.

Where did you get the Concorde modification?

This morning, I took the ICON A5 up for a spin around my "home" airport, Watsonville Municipal. There are a couple of small lakes north of the airport, and I headed for the more elongated of the two and set up for an amphibious landing. The landing (splashdown?) was very smooth, probably one of my best ever. Of course, a wide, smooth lake is a much more forgiving target than a runway. I taxied (boated?) to the end of the lake turned around, and took off again. I was headed back to RWY 20 at Watsonville, wheels down on final when a dreaded CTD terminated my flight. I restarted and took off again, this time following Highway 1 north (really west) at low altitude to our neighborhood shopping center, in hopes of using that landmark to find our house. But I was unable to circle slowly enough to locate it. I gave up and flew back to Watsonville where another CTD prematurely terminated my flight before I could land. By now it was time for lunch.

In the afternoon, I took a Beechcraft Bonanza from Watsonville to Monterey, via the Salinas airport VOR, mostly on autopilot--a couple of times. I'd found

on how to use AP with the Garmin G1000; and of special interest to me, how to use it for an ILS runway approach. When you set it up right, the G1000 can keep you on the glideslope through downwind, base, and final, lining you up with the runway, and leaving last minute details like lowering landing gear, if required, and flaring out to you. However, I missed a required input somewhere, because the Bonanza wouldn't enter the landing pattern (denoted by cheater brackets) by itself on either approach. Had to fly through the brackets to the runway on my own, which I did. The second time, I did a touch and go and flew back to Watsonville. I was on base and turning to final there when another CTD struck. Frustrated and determined to land the Bonanza, I restarted the computer, rebooted MSFS and took off again. This time I came in too low and slow, stalled, and crashed into a tree short of RWY 20. Taking off in the Bonanza once more, I was able to get it back to the airport, landing short on RWY20, then mistaking intersecting RWY 27 for a taxiway and almost hitting another plane before MSFS crashed to desktop again.

I'll go back at it again tomorrow, but in the Cessna 172. At this point, the Bonanza is more plane than I can handle without AP.

Screenshot (64).jpg

Did a quick hop today from a small airport in the Canadian Arctic, using live weather. This was the take-off from Fort Simpson, NWT (CYFS). Fortunately the weather was nice, though cold. The moon looked alien at 8:30 a.m. local time. All lakes and rivers frozen over.

My then new wife and I took a sightseeing trip around the island, it was a sight to behold. If any of you have the opportunity to visit Kauai, I highly recommend taking a sightseeing flight, it's worth it!

Screenshot below is that of the famed Na Pali Coast (if it looks familiar to you, it's because they used this coastline in Jurassic Park! In fact, a good chunk of the movie was filmed on this island).

napali coast.jpg

Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

My then new wife and I took a sightseeing trip around the island, it was a sight to behold. If any of you have the opportunity to visit Kauai, I highly recommend taking a sightseeing flight, it's worth it!

Screenshot below is that of the famed Na Pali Coast (if it looks familiar to you, it's because they used this coastline in Jurassic Park! In fact, a good chunk of the movie was filmed on this island).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]225540[/ATTACH]

I love, love, love Kauai. All of Hawaii is a commercialized tourist trap but Kauai still feels just a tad more real to me. Also, the wild chickens roaming around everywhere?

Did you fly in to Waimea Canyon at all? I've driven through there and look forward to sim-flying there soon.

On a topic Aptosflier would know about, there is an excellent cultural museum in Kauai that tells the story of the island from the Native Hawaiian perspective. Me being me, I forced my wife and kid to give up one day at the beach so we could visit the museum, during our vacation there.

Ah yes, rooster island. We spent a week in Kauai and basically did everything at breakneck speed, trying to take in everything. We did not fly into Waimea as that's more restricted to helicopters and we opted for the fixed wing tour (feels safer and remind me of flying with my father in his old plane).

I remember the lychee fruit, Red Dirt Waterfall (that was so cool), the spectacular views of Waimea, Bali Hai, Puka Dog, Bubba's, waterfalls *everywhere* (island was draped with waterfalls!), hiking up a valley, seeing Hanalei Bay, hearing Israel Kamakawiwo'ole unforgettable song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow just about everywhere, that incredible little orchid shop (seriously, this place was incredible).

Shit...I wanna go back.

Edit: Missed the sim-flying bit about Waimea Canyon...I'll give it a shot in an ultralight or a Cub.

Edited by CLE_GrummanTiger
Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

After apparently resolving a worsening issue with CTDs by reducing my maximum frame rate from 60 to 30 fps and resetting virtually all other settings to medium (with no degradation in detail that my eye noticed), I set a GPS flight plan from Watsonville to Monterey and took off in the 172 from RWY 20 at Watsonville. I set the autopilot for 2,900 ft altitude and pretty much left the flying to the AP much of the way. This was in the 172 with the Garmin 1000. I entered the ILS frequency for Monterey RWY 10R before taking off. My goal was to use the Garmin to set up the approach to that runway, leaving the last bit of flying in my hands. As I got closer to Monterey, I brought up the "procedure" menu (I think it was) on the left-hand Garmin screen and toggled a button to select "approach." But nothing happened. Perhaps I wasn't doing the procedures in the right order? Anyway, instead of turning onto approach, the 172 continued on its present course. At this point, I could see those helpful highway-in-the-sky landing-pattern brackets off to my right. So I quit AP, banked toward the brackets and flew the approach manually. Having finally figured out how to display the localizer and glideslope on the Garmin, and having set the heading bug for RWY 10R's heading I focused on those indicators (plus the runway, of course) and completed one of my better landings to date.

Rather than quit at this point, I taxied back to RWY 10R, took off, and flew VFR to Salinas. I didn't set up a new flight plan, because if there's a way to do that once you've already set one up without going back to the main menu and starting over, I don't know about it. (Is there? And is there a way to set up an FP for multiple airports in one flight?) It didn't matter, having lived in the Monterey/Salinas area for years, I knew the way. A low-altitude flight from Monterey to Salinas takes you along northern foot of the coastal Santa Lucia Mountain range, anchored by 3,000 ft. Mt. Toro. The 172 was subjected to some updrafts in this area as I followed Highway 68 east toward the airport, which made this leg interesting. When I had Salinas Municipal in sight, banked south to set up for an instrument-guided landing on RWY 31. I had to go around as I was too high and too close to land safely on my first approach, but I managed a smooth landing on the second try, without eating up too much runway.

I cannot say the same of my landing upon return to Watsonville. I came in too high again, but this time I forced the issue, retracting flaps to quickly shed altitude, pitching down, and using almost all the available runway to put the Cessna down. After that, it was time for lunch.

upon return to Watsonville. I came in too high again, but this time I forced the issue, retracting flaps to quickly shed altitude, pitching down, and using almost all the available runway to put the Cessna down. After that, it was time for lunch.
If you're carrying too much energy on approach, you should do the opposite, and deploy full flaps which creates drag and bleeds off energy.

Another thing you should get good at is using counter aileron / rudder to make the plane slip.

In a forward slip, your puropse is to hang as much fuselage in the breeze as possible to create drag and bleed energy. You start by the application of full rudder and then add enough opposite aileron to keep your desired track.

http://www.centennialaviationacademy.com/forward-slips-to-landing.html

In a real plane (at least a Citabria), it is possible, useful and quite safe to carry an extreme slip all the way down to a couple of feet off the runway before kicking the rudder back and leveling the wings. It scares the hell out of a passenger, but it's quite safe.

Coming in high should be no problem.

Edit:

Here's a book you really need to read:

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/stick-and-rudder-an-explanation-of-the-art-of-flying_wolfgang-langewiesche/251767/item/8625132/?mkwid=%7cdc&pcrid=474981229867&pkw=&pmt=&slid=&plc=&pgrid=117539251328&ptaid=pla-988288505448&gclid=Cj0KCQiAj9iBBhCJARIsAE9qRtAsJ4mymqijl2G-x237zC5NyEvQYZS43o8AmRrmaaTbMSAsJaT4p2caApt8EALw_wcB#idiq=8625132&edition=2335143

Edited by sfojimbo