Where did you fly today ?

(1) How difficult is it to fly the CJ4 without the Working Title mod?

(2) How did Working Title's mod improve your experience with this plane?

(3) Does Working Title sell their mod in the MSFS marketplace?

(4) I'm nervous about add-ons.

I had a lot of trouble with CTDs and worse several months back and had to uninstall/reinstall MSFS more than once, not to mention using my recovery disk to restore Windows 10 at one point. It may just have been pure coincidence, but it seemed that my CTD woes exploded after I bought and installed an ultralight (from the marketplace). I've been gunshy about addons ever since, though I did purchase and add the Asobo ultralight to my hangar with no problems.

(5) If I get the Working Title CJ4 mod, does it download to the "community" folder? (FYI: I have the Steam Edition.)

1. & 2. I have no idea. I never flew it without the mod. From what I’ve read, the non-modded version is very stripped down and limited. The mod makes it what it is now. For what it’s worth, Working Title is an official Microsoft partner. They’re coming out soon with the new Garmin NXi to replace all the G1000 systems in the sim.

3. As far as I know, no, but their files are easily accessible through their site: https://www.workingtitle.aero/ oh, and it’s free, along with their Garmin improvements.

Just download the package and drop it in the community folder.

As for your CTDs, I do notice you have quite a bit of stuff running with the sim according to your signature. That may play a role, but I’m no expert in troubleshooting that kind of thing. I can only say I’ve had no issues, but use the non-Steam version (Windows).

Edited by CLE_GrummanTiger
Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it’s worth, Working Title is an official Microsoft partner. They’re coming out soon with the new Garmin NXi to replace all the G1000 systems in the sim.

I just Googled Garmin NXi. A brief summary says "it enables WAAS/LPV approaches to thousands of airports with an autopilot-coupled glide path to selected minimums." Sounds like it will have VNAV as well as RNAV? How imminent is this upgrade? I can hardly wait!

As for your CTDs, I do notice you have quite a bit of stuff running with the sim according to your signature. That may play a role, but I’m no expert in troubleshooting that kind of thing. I can only say I’ve had no issues, but use the non-Steam version (Windows).

I have a couple of Logitech flight panels running with the sim, plus yoke and rudder pedals, and TrackIR 5. Whatever the causes of my CTDs was/were, it/they were much deeper than these applications, which integrate well with MSFS.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I just Googled Garmin NXi. A brief summary says "it enables WAAS/LPV approaches to thousands of airports with an autopilot-coupled glide path to selected minimums." Sounds like it will have VNAV as well as RNAV? How imminent is this upgrade? I can hardly wait!

Last I heard, next sim update is the target. They’re in closed beta now, so they’re pretty far along already. No idea if it will have all the capabilities you brought up, but here’s a preview:

Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Today I got up at 4 AM and jumped into my DA 62 and transported myself and my airplane over to Freiburg Germany.

That is a good jumping off spot if you want to fly up the Rhine river.

The plan is to fly all the way up to Amsterdam looking for castles.

I chose the DA62 because it is about 35 MPH slower than my beloved Baron and I like the autopilot better.

I have limited understanding of the autopilot.

I will be flying at 1000 AGL and I need to change course a lot.

It is easy for me to get confused without some sort of audio warning for switching on and off the autopilot and the Baron does not have that.

I know the castles are there, I have seen them.

Back in the late 60's my Air Force uncle and I spent 7 days driving up that river (more or less) and we saw several castles.

Could be the best 7 days I ever had.

Back In those days the Germans loved the Americans and they all treated us great. I don't know about today.

We spent our time rubbernecking, drinking the greatest beer in the world and eating the finest food ever.

Before our trip to Germany we spent 3 days over in the London area.

The Brits are stuffy and I didn't like their beer very much and I hated their food.

They would do well to spend some time in Germany learn how to drink beer and cook and have a good time.

So, I flew about 175 miles (clicks) north. I saw lots of nice stuff but no castles.

If any were there I must have flown right past them.

Time for a change. I am going to finish my trip up the Rhine to Amsterdam.

There is a lot more there than just castles.

It is going to be a fun trip.

And after that I am going to use my Ultralight and the World Map to pick out POI's and transport myself and my aircraft to those places of interest.

I used the BING tool and did a search.

I now have a list of places and things to see.

Couple that with the World Map POI's and I should be able to get around ok.

VFRguy

Edited by VFRguy

No fancy pictures as I keep forgetting how, another topic, anyways did a few fun flights in the good ole 172. Forgot how fun that is eeven though it doesnt climb worth a darn...Started out with a late afternoon VFR trip from Tacoma KTIW to Ocean Shores W04. After buzzing the beauty that is the Chambers Bay golf course I proceeded to travel south to Olympia then out to the coast with a nice soft approach from the north. After a quick refuel and a bite to eat it was time to climb back into the 172 and head off from W04 down the coast past Long Beach into Astoria Oregon KAST for a dusk landing. From there it was time to find the sun so I repositioned the 172 to the big island and Hilo international PHTO for a VFR flight via the Hawaii observatory to PHNP and Ford Island field for a fun grass strip landing..All in all a fun way to spend a rainy day off. Took over 30 minutes to spiral up an altitude high enough to get over the top of Mauna Kea. Very impressed with the observatory complex..They did a great job modeling it..Until the next adventure.

Couple of flights of note:

1. Just a Neofly mission from KTOL to KPCV in the good old 172. Nothing special, right? Well, I was flying live weather and traffic, and it was already dark. Good thing I had a good grip on IFR. Took off, then had to head out a bit into Lake Erie where I promptly ran into a thunderstorm with pouring rain. That was…unnerving! Sticking to IFR and trusting the instruments, I not only lined up on approach but lucked out with the weather clearing. Wow. An ordinary flight turned into a memorable one.

2. KATL to KASE in the CJ4. It was fun blasting out of busy KATL! Clear skies the whole way too. Approach to KASE took me by surprise and learned very quickly why it earned its reputation as one of the most difficult approaches. I misjudged how far away the runway was (or how close, rather) and had to dive for the landing. It was probably a bit steeper than IRL but I managed to come in for a surprisingly butterific landing. I’ll have to try KASE again now that I know what to expect!

Didn't have time for a full flight, but managed to swing around Fuji to take in its majestic splendor. WOW.

sm fuji distant.jpg

sm fuji 2.jpg

sm fuji up close.jpg

sm fuji profile.jpg

First, I flew the Beech Bonanza G36 from Watsonville to San Jose after first setting up a flight plan in the G36's modded G1000, with an ILS approach to RWY 31L at KSJC. I was pleased with myself for figuring out how to select the transition to final that I wanted from the G1000 PROC menu (KLIDE instead of BORED). Actually getting the G36 to perform the ILS approach once I got close to KSJC took some fiddling with the autopilot buttons on my Logitech multipanel, but I got it working.

Next, I went to the World Map and switched to a Beech Baron G58 for the return flight from KSJC to KWVI. I selected KWVI from the "nearest" airports in the G1000 and selected an approach over the Monterey Bay to RWY 2 at KWVI, setting up a flight plan that the crossed the Santa Cruz Mountains, turned left at Santa Cruz, and then proceeded down the coast to Watsonville. At that point, the whole thing came apart. Per the flight plan loaded into the AP, the Baron was supposed to follow a triangular course out to sea and back toward the coast, lining up with the runway at an intersection called "NALLS," and from there presumably continuing to the runway. This didn't make much sense to me. (Why not just turn left at NALLS and head on in?) But I let the AP do its thing to see what would happen. Well, when it reached NALLS, the AP turned the plane back toward the Monterey Peninsula to repeat the loop again. I said "nuts" to that, disengaged the AP, lined up with the runway again, per the localizer, and landed. I really liked the way the G58 handled on final, by the way.

Santa Cruz below on a beautiful (live weather) afternoon on California's Central Coast.

Santa Cruz 6.17.21.jpg

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Was playing around with the drone camera, I can see the potential with it! One of the neatest things to come with MSFS besides, well, clouds!

sm sea of white .jpg

sm endless.jpg

sm surfing.jpg

sm approach.jpg

Off the Spain Mediterranean coast, Gibraltar to Palma de Mallorca.

Cessna Citation Longitude. Flight path below for reference.

lxgb-lepa.jpg

RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

No pictures again but what a fun flight. I decided to go to the land of my ancestors and take advantage of the new update. King Air from Kristiansund Norway (EKNB) to the farthest north commercial airport on the Island of Svalbard and the Longyear airport (ENSB). Lots of clouds along the route and with no ILS I was a little worried visibility at the airport could be below minimums. But fortunately the cloud layer broke at 2000ft and I was able to make a nice visual approach and touch down. One minor blip in the flight. I was so far north the GPS was having straying issues and I was clean off the VFR map. The airport at Svalbard is really neat looking and the ice flow around the island was unexpected and really cool. Big props to MS and Asobo for adding that realism. I was not expecting that.. Next question is can you land on it.. Great scenery all around with the update and I cant wait to turn live weather off and make it bright and sunny and see the glaciers. Edited by floundy

Took up one of the smaller single-engine light aircraft (I forget which one) for some local sightseeing, flying from Watsonville to Santa Cruz and back. Santa Cruz's best-known landmark is the Beach Boardwalk, home to the Giant Dipper, an historic rollercoaster and reputedly the oldest wooden roller coaster on the West Coast. It's been featured in such movies as "The Lost Boys," "Sudden Impact," and "Dangerous Minds." You can see it here in the lower right corner of the pilot's window, at 500 feet:

Santa Cruz boardwalk.jpg

Decided to try my hand at the DA40NG and...WOW! I think I'm gonna like flying this nifty little plane a lot! The view out of the cockpit is otherworldly. I can see why it's a very popular plane.

Actually flew my first leg of my planned world tour, from KCGF to W05 (Cuyahoga County Airport, OH to Gettysburg Regional in PA). Did it all in live weather too, so it was thundering and lightning and dark. IFR to the rescue! Landing this plane took me a little bit by surprise as I dropped pretty quickly as I got close to the runway, but flying in the dark kind of makes you misjudge distances, doesn't it? I bounced, but got down in one piece. Not bad for flying this plane for the first time, right?

Also was using this flight to collect data for putting together a performance profile for those who use Little Navmap. I sent Alex (the creator of LNM) the profile file and I'm sure he'll upload it to his site before long if anyone wants an accurate performance profile for the DA40NG. IMPORTANT INFO HERE: The profile I created is based off the mod created by mrtommymxr and will ONLY work with that mod. So, if you use the default Asobo version or some other mod, it won't work (there's a specific field in the profile that reads exactly which aircraft you're flying, modded or otherwise).

Think I'll fly this plane again for my next world tour leg, going through DC and working my way up the coastline.

Meanwhile, enjoy the shot I took!

sm lightning.jpg

I got up at 04:00 AM today (when you get old that’s what you do).

I fired up my FS and found a group of islands just off the NW coast of Africa.

All of the larger islands had one major airport.

I picked 7 of those islands and made a Flight Plan.

I don’t know what the name of those islands are so I named

the plan “GCLA to GCRR”.

It was a com clear day, almost like it was 12 noon.

I jumped in my Beloved Baron and found that my copilot was sitting in the right seat waiting for me.

I took off from GCLA, turned on the autopilot at 2600 ft.

The islands ares nice looking with plenty of mountains.

I had to ascend to 6000 feet to clear them.

A lot of valleys and villages and I enjoyed

flying to each of them.

I did a couple of touch and goes at each island.

One thing that stood out was the airports.

They were all really nice airports really top end.

The parking areas were picture perfect with really nice taxi ways and long landing strips.

Fly there and see for yourself. They are ease to find.

VFRguy

I finished my U.S. border-to-border trip in the Daher TBM, flying from Portland-Hillsboro (KHIO) to Seattle (KSEA).

Previous legs chronicled here included: San Diego to Santa Monica; Santa Monica to Santa Barbara; Santa Barbara to San Luis Obispo; and San Luis Obispo to San Carlos. From San Carlos, I continued to Santa Rosa, the last "sainted" airport on my list. From Santa Rosa, I flew to Arcata, near the Calif./Oregon border, and then on to Coos Bay, Or. before flying on to Portland-Hillsboro, where I flew an RNAV final approach. Fun fact about the ILS approach to RWY 32 at KSTS--Charles Schulz-Sonoma County airport: two of the intersections, LUSEE and PIGPN, are named after Peanuts characters. There's an intervening intersection called EDOVE. I haven't been able to figure out if that's also named after one Schulz's characters.

Anyway, back to today's flight. I set up a low-level IFR flight plan with an ILS approach to RWY 34L at KSEA. I picked that runway because it was the shortest and presumably less favored by the "heavies." I dutifully followed ATC's direction to climb to 18,000 feet, but they told me to commence my descent before I got there. I had clear live weather all the way and did a lot of rubber necking while the autopilot had the controls.

KHIO-KSEA climbing out.jpg

Climbing out of Portland-Hillsboro

KHIO-KSEA Mt. St. Helens.jpg

Enroute to Seattle I enjoyed this view of Mt. Saint Helens (Mt. Adams is in the background)

KHIO-KSEA greater Seattle.jpg

Greater Seattle ahead

After landing at KSEA, I did a little sightseeing, taking off from Renton Municipal in a Diamond DA40 TDI and heading northwest to Seattle proper, where I circled the Space Needle...

KHIO-KSEA Space Needle.jpg

... and then landed at Boeing-Kings County

KHIO-KSEA Boeing-Kings County final.jpg

I'm finding the Daher a joy to fly, especially with the autopilot doing most of the work. I'm deciding where to go from Seattle next; perhaps north, to Alaska?

Leg #2 of my world tour, from W05 (Gettysburg, PA) to KACK (Nantucket, MA), with a long detour to D.C. and up the coastline to the Big Apple, and across Long Island. All in the DA40NG with gorgeous views.

sm dc monument.jpg

sm white house buzz.jpg

sm windmills close.jpg

sm lady liberty.jpg

sm big apple.jpg

sm brooklyn bridge.jpg

sm chrysler.jpg

sm central park.jpg

sm da40ng.jpg

After flying past Mt. Saint Helens in the Daher TBM on my way to Seattle yesterday, I decided I wanted a closer look at this volcano that blew its stack 21 years ago this past May. The Mt. St. Helens Aero Ranch (WN-10) is the closest "airport" to St. Helens, so I took off from its grass runway in the Diamond DA40NG for a tour of the volcano.

WN-10 St. Helens WN-10.jpg

The St. Helens Aero Ranch is off to the left as I climb out through a river valley.

WN-10 St. Helens ext..jpg

After climbing out from WN-10, I begin my fly-around of St. Helens.

WN-10 St. Helens south.jpg

Crater ahead!

WN-10 St. Helens crater.jpg

Thar she blew!

WN-10 St. Helens heading back.jpg

Heading back to the (Aero) ranch

WN-10 St. Helens final.jpg

On final for WN-10

Full disclosure: This approach was the first of several unsuccessful attempts to land the DA40 at this short airstrip. I came in too fast the first time, and crashed into trees at the end of the field. So I went back to the World Map for a do-over landing pattern. I couldn't stop in time again and had another losing argument with a tree. On my next attempt, I put the plane down, but this time in a meadow past the end of the field, likely on somebody else's property. On a third attempt, taking off in the opposite direction, I spun out and in when I turned back to the field too abruptly. The best thing about MSFS being that you can learn from what would otherwise be fatal mistakes, I finally did manage to shed enough speed to safely land in the above direction--then turned around, taxied back to the start of the runway, and parked.

WN-10 St. Helens parked.jpg

Only in MSFS at a little field like this: a firetruck. (And note the power-transmission line immediately adjacent to the runway final...)

WN-10 St. Helens south.jpg

Edited by Aptosflier