Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did you fly today ?

Quote Originally Posted by BushPilot View Post
    Aircraft: Cessna 172S (Around the World from KFRG - currently parked at Iqaluit)
    Dumb question: When you're doing a long multi-day/month trip like this, do you click "save" the flight to take off from airport where you last left the plane the next day (or whenever)?
    Last edited by Aptosflier; 03-04-2021 at 08:55 PM.
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Quote Originally Posted by Cavulife View Post
    "Side question, does time acceleration work in manual flights or do I need to enable autopilot for that? Eventually I want to use it for longer duration flights but don't want to crash if time acceleration doesn't lock in my flight controls."

Time acceleration works with or without autopilot. The problem with it is there is no way to tell what rate is currently on. I've got a little sticky that I put on the keyboard when I use acceleration and I always use ++ so I know how many to undo when I'm ready.
    Ahhh, thanks. Good to know. Maybe they’ll address that in a future update with a small on screen display a la fps display.
    Ryzen 5 3600 / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Quote Originally Posted by pops52 View Post
    Put In Bay is a party Is. Hope you did partake in the festivities.
    Once...long ago! Hail fellow Clevelander!
    Ryzen 5 3600 / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Since day after Christmas I have just used the C172 (with analogue instruments) just to learn how to fly and control this aircraft. I have flown between several different airports learning how to navigate and use the autopilot. And practice take offs and landings. All this was done with a clear skies or, recently, light clouds and wind. Today I decided to try different weather, pouring rain and poor visibility. ATC wouldn't let me taxi to take off do to IFR requirements. I persisted and the let me take off. The rain droplets look fantastic on the windshield and the pockets of heavy rain or fog are scary to fly though. It looked so realistic flying through the columns of fog and rain. I could not see anything out of the windows and had to use the instruments to fly so I wouldn't crash into the ground. Lucky I practiced so much. I got lost and had to call ATC to give me directions back to the airport, but I made it and landed fine.
    MSI Mag Z390 M/B, I7-9700K 4.7 Ghz, 32 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 2080 8GB Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive, 850W P/S

Attempted Aspen to Telluride in a C-172. A few times. Kept stalling and crashing shortly after take-off trying to avoid mountains. Guess I’ll need to learn to fly a turbo before trying that again. And nav aids. Did complete a couple of landing challenges, though!

Quote Originally Posted by CLE_GrummanTiger View Post
    Attempted Aspen to Telluride in a C-172. A few times. Kept stalling and crashing shortly after take-off trying to avoid mountains. Guess I’ll need to learn to fly a turbo before trying that again. And nav aids. Did complete a couple of landing challenges, though!
    I like flying the C-172 in challenging mountain areas like that. You'll need nav-aids and also a comfort level with the topo technology of your G-1000 display, assuming you're flying the expensive version of the C172 (not the classic version). You have to turn the topo features on with a button. That way you can kind of route-pick on the fly. Your fatality rate will still be anywhere from 25 to 50%, in my experience anyway.

Without the topo it's probably more like 75%.
    Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Flew from Birpur, a small border town in the Indian state of Bihar, to Lukla, Nepal, in live weather/live time. A C172 cannot really fly in the Himalayan mountain range, so I used a Beechcraft Bonanza which easily has enough power for the climb needed to 18,000 feet or so.

It was blue skies in India but almost exactly upon reaching the Himalayan range in Nepal I was hit with very thick cloud cover. I stayed on top of it for the most part but knew that the descent would be challenging. Lukla is elevation 9,000 but it's surrounded by peaks that are about 14,000 feet. The Bonanza has some de-icing equipment but not anything for the windshield, unless I've overlooked something.

Sure enough, during the descent, the windshield iced up about as badly as I've ever experienced anywhere. Despite being in VR mode and having one or two small clear views through the front window, I could barely navigate a path to safely descend through the multiple turns needed for the runway, though I did get it in sight.

Sadly, I crashed and died, becoming one of the many statistics of pilots who took on the Lukla challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bogRYPimPWo
    Last edited by neilends; 03-06-2021 at 11:51 AM.
    Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

D56 to KDVL in the Robin
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Aptosflier View Post
    Dumb question: When you're doing a long multi-day/month trip like this, do you click "save" the flight to take off from airport where you last left the plane the next day (or whenever)?
    Yes - When I get to the destination and park and shut down the engine. I save the flight. I reload the flight next time I fly. However even when the engine is shut down before saving. When I reload the last save, I am at the same spot but the engines are started automatically upon reload.

So I note the approximate spot where I parked and reload from parking diagram as close to the parking as possible. This way when I continue, the engines are off upon reload.

It works just fine and its always close to where I shut down.
    Started: Flight Simulator 98 (Year 1999)
    Private Pilot Certificate ASEL: August 7th 2014

Took of today from Iqaluit for Greenland. Weather was exclamation VFR on Top, so decided to do IFR for the first time. I took some pics. It was good in the beginning after picking up some light icing I was in the clear cruising at 11,500 feet. Then it got scary as I headed towards the Atlantic just passing the coast, decided to do a 180 and head back!

That turn to the left is me chickening out and returning.

Foreflight indicated icing at my altitude right in the middle of the Atlantic at 12000 feet.

113 nautical miles in, I turned back and made it to Iqaluit before sunset.

Doing around the world is tricky. Will wait for a better day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Almost There.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	225676   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Departing Iqaluit.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	225677   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heading Back.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	225678  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parked.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	225679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reaching Atlantic Turnback.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	225680  
    Started: Flight Simulator 98 (Year 1999)
    Private Pilot Certificate ASEL: August 7th 2014

Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast