Where did you fly today ?

AT TEX.jpg

I wanted to land at this airport (KTEX) again, but I didn't want to take the time to fly there from another field, so I set up an arrival in the World Map screen. I expected MSFS to start me more or less lined up with RWY 9, with a threshold just past the end of a mesa that drops off abruptly to the valley below. I'd landed there before, after a flight from Montrose, Colo., but it was ugly and I wanted to do it better. I clicked "Fly," and instead of lining up my Beech G36 with RWY 9, MSFS dumped me into the sim on final for RWY 27. But I didn't recognize that in the moment, focused as I was on just landing. The ground rolling by under my plane on this approach--instead of the empty space that precedes the runway from the opposite direction--should've clued me in that I was not landing on RWY 9, but it didn't. And hence, I was not prepared for the slope that reared its ugly head immediately to my right within the last few hundred yards or so of the beginning of the runway. It's a good thing I use TrackIR and turn my head a lot, or I might have run into it. I banked left and banked right again to line up with the runway and set the Bonanza down handily, still not understanding that I'd landed on 27 instead of 9. (I should've looked at my heading in the Garmin, of course.) I taxied toward the terminal but never saw it, because I was looking for it out my left window, which is where I would've seen it if I'd actually landed on RWY 9. Instead, I found myself looking at the approaching nether end of RWY 27, i.e., the beginning of RWY 9. Finally realizing the truth, I revved up my engine, spun the Bonanza around, set flaps, and took off again, this time from RWY 9. I climbed, circled, flew east of the airport, circled back and landed again--on my originally intended runway--and taxied to the terminal. All was well that ended well--twice.

And also, with this bit of flying today, I hit the 100-hour flight-time mark. Woo! Woo!

Edited by Aptosflier
HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My rules:

• Real weather
  • Real traffic
  • Real time
  • Flight time about 1 to 3 hours
  • Starting at the airport where I left last time

I usually take a Longitude for the longer distances and a small Cessna for round trips.

I did a round trip over Iceland recently and then headed towards Scotland. Now I'm on my way to France.

Today I flew Liverpool to Cambridge.

The first question isn't where I flew, but why? Why begin a flight in the middle of Nevada's high desert in the first place? And why fly to Oildale, Calif., the town where I landed? (With nary a meadow in sight, by the way.)

I started at Inyokern because I'd taken off from there twice already today trying to complete the second leg of a "bush" flight ending at Mariposa/Yosemite, and having failed twice upon landing at the next stop--a grass strip--after flipping the Cub on its nose by barely touching the tail-dragger's brakes upon landing. (Shoulda come in slower and pulled back on the yoke instead of using the brakes, I guess.) Not wanting quit for the day just yet, I went back to the MSFS World map to start a new flight. KIYK being one of the immediate options offered, and I decided to return there to fly across the southern Sierra Nevada mountains in the Beech Bonanza, just for some sightseeing. I'd been enjoying the mountain scenery for 20 minutes or so when I began to give some thought to where I was going to land. Opening the drop-down GPS map and zooming out to see what airports might be in my vicinity, I saw one to the southwest that looked promising. Squinting at the map, I read its ID: KBFL. I pressed "nearest" on the Garmin and scrolled through the options until I found KBFL. Next, I pressed the Garmin button with the half-square and the arrow, to activate a direct flight plan to said airport. Then I pressed NAV on the autopilot (I'd previously engaged it to maintain my cruising altitude), and left the driving--other than adjusting altitude--to the AP. Enroute, I looked up the airport on my iPhone to discover its actual name, how many runways it had (one), and its orientation (SE to NW). Turns out Meadows Field is a respectable little airport with a terminal and jetways. I'm pretty sure it has a localizer/ILS system. I didn't bother to check before landing, however, trusting instead to my improving VFR skills.

I am liking the Beech G36 more and more every time I take it "up," and even more every time I land it. I flew the Daher TBM from Watsonville to San Jose before lunch; low-altitude IFR to RWY 31L, ILS approach. I think the Daher is a great plane as well. But the G36 is more fun; it's the sports car to the TBM's Cadillac. Now if I could only successfully land that damn Cub on a lousy grass strip ...

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I decided to fly VFR along the Rhine River in the SR22. I chose to set the weather as 'Clear' because I wanted to see as much as possible. My flights were at about 1500' AGL which meant that at the final leg, I was at 4000' AMSL. After each flight I landed at a suitable airport and resumed from that airport next flight. Here's how it went:-

EHRD Rotterdam NL 1h 16m

EDDL Dusseldorf GM 0h 37m

EDDK Koln Bonn GM 1h 11m

EDDF Frankfurt GM 1h 07m

LFST Strasbourg FR 0h 42m

LFSB Bale Mulhouse FR 0h 52m

EDNY Friedrichshafen GM

From Friedrichshafen, I flew south across Bodensee/Lake Constance along the Rhine until the valley looked to be narrowing too much to comfortably turn, so I reversed my course and then flew to EDTD Donauschingen GM, from where I plan to follow the Danube to its outflow into the Black Sea.

Paris to London TBM.... Awesome flight in full Ultra, once I crossed the channel and hit London zero visibility!!!

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Flew from KCLE to KPHL in the Working Title CJ4...used to fly this route back and forth all the time growing up, probably 2-3 times a year (divorced parents). Did live weather and traffic, so that was fun. First full night-time flight and it wasn't as disorienting as I thought it might be. Kind of fun to see the twinkling lights below and the moon up high in the sky.

The CJ4 is something else. I might even say it's the best plane available right now in MSFS as it's so fully fleshed out by the Working Title team. I've become pretty adept with the CDU/FMC, but still need to learn to better control the throttle as I'm sometimes prone to overspeeding (mostly on takeoff) and stalling during approach. Other than that, it's a dream to fly.

This was also my first flight after I upgraded my CPU from a Ryzen 5 3600 to a Ryzen 5 5600x...it makes quite a difference! Flight is a LOT smoother now. I might even kick up setting or two up a notch.

In other news, I learned today that someone's working on a Global 6000 model, but there's scant info. Apparently from PJ Simulations, which I've never heard of nor could find any info.

Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Just a short, early morning hop for me - YSCB to YSSY (foggy departure)

Had a missed approach at YSSY, General Aviation plane not exiting runway 34L fast enough :-)

All good though, managed to land the second time.

Flying the stock 787

That's Kona to crash to desktop, then Kona to Waimea/Kohala.

I first took off from Kona in the Cessna 172 for some sightseeing. Flew south to Kona/Kailua, where we've been many times, to see how closely the Asobo version resembled the real place. I'd have to say it was approximately rendered. Our favorite hotel there is the Royal Kona, which from a distance looks like the prow of a big ship pointing at the ocean. I spotted what passes for the hotel in the sim landscape, but it was a block structure. Close but no cigar. Then I flew north, up the Kohala Coast, to check out the lush golf resorts up that way, all improbably developed in the middle of old lava flows. Farther north, I was hoping to find a national historic site, the Pu'ukohola Heaiu, a temple built by Kamehameha the Great (AKA the Conqueror) c. 1792. it's perched on a hillside overlooking a bay just south of Kawaihae. I was flying at about 900 ft. hoping to spot it, but it didn't seem to be where it should have been. At this point, I decided to make for the little airport at Hana on Maui. I found it in the Garmin, set a course for it, and let the autopilot take over. I was trying to fine tune the course in the Garmin enroute when MSFS CTD'd on me for the first time in a couple of months or more. I think the sim and my Logitech multi-panel had an argument; I won't bore anybody with the reasons why, except to note that I had to exit out of everything and shut down my PC to reset the Logitech panel.

Having done that, I returned to Kona, this time in the Beech Bonanza for a short flight to Waimea (about 3,200 ft. ASL), home of the Parker Ranch. Hawaiians used to call the place Kamuela, after Samuel Parker, who started raising cattle there in the early 19th century. The approach to PHMU was a simple, straight-in RNAV course to RWY 4. I still managed to muff it, coming in too low and landing on pavement, but just short of the threshold. So, I took off again to fly a landing pattern and do it right.

Waimea.png

After landing at Waimea

Wanted a little (not to much) challenge so I set up an IFR dusk to night flight from Denver to Grand Junction over the Rockies in my Seneca. All was going well. Had a great multi waypoint route set up in the Garmin. The fuel mixture/temp/airspeed was optimized. I was enjoying looking around with the drone. Then, when only 20 minutes out of Grand Junction, I inadvertently clicked on the vent window latch! Got the "Overstressed" sign and my flight was over!!!! :)
I-7 9700 OC to 4.7Ghz, MPG 2390 Mobo, 32 Gig ram, Dark Rock Pro fan, 1-TB SSD, 4-TB rotating drive, RTX 2070 Super, LG 34" curved monitor, Honeycomb Yoke and Throttle quadrant, Windows 10.​

A few flights. First up was KJHW (Chautauqua-Jamestown, NY) to KCGF (Cuyahoga County, where my father used to fly out of). I wanted to give the Beechcraft G36 another shot and, boy, I wasn't disappointed! It was such a short hop that I opted for 8,000 ft, just below the clouds, that I could appreciate the rolling scenery.

After that, I did a couple of NeoFly flights in the C172, just hopping from strip to strip, really, but giving me the practice I need. Fun too, of course!

Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Kahului (Maui) to Hana and return in the Beech G36

We love Hawai'i. We've been there many times, mostly to the Big Island, but we haven't been back since 2018, when we went to Maui. I went back today in MSFS, to fly from Kahului to a little airport at Hana, on Maui's east coast.

We drove from Kahului to Hana on a previous visit to Maui, on a spectacular highway that winds its way along the lush, rain-forested, lower slopes of Mt. Haleakala, past many beautiful waterfalls. It's also spectacularly hairy, thanks to its numerous one-way bridges. Tourist shops around the big hotels and condo developments at Ka'anapali sell a T-shirt emblazoned with "I survived the Hana Highway." (I bought one, and believe me, it was well deserved. One drive down that road and back was definitely enough for me.)

Hana is served by a little airport a bit northwest of the town itself. Cut through the forest downslope and below the Hana Highway--Hawaiians would say it's makai of the road--the runway is 3,606 ft. long, 100 ft. wide, and hemmed in by trees on both sides. I plotted my course to Hana on the MSFS World map, using waypoints for PHNN's RWY 8 that I jotted down from an approach plate.

I took off from Kahului in clear weather on a heading of 69 degrees while climbing to 4,800 ft. I turned on the autopilot as soon as I was lined up with the "magenta line" and let the Bonanza do its thing while I enjoyed the view.

Enroute to Hana.png

It may have been clear at Kahului, but as I turned to my next heading, 134 degrees, I saw clouds piling up ahead of me against the northeast flank of Mt. Haleakala. This made for an interesting approach to PHNN. The prescribed altitude at "ZOMPU," the next to last waypoint before the airfield, was 2,500 ft. ASL, and I expedited my descent through the clouds in hopes of getting the runway in sight sooner than later. When I did spot it, incongruously in the middle of a forest, I realized I was coming in oblique to it, and had to do a bit of last minute maneuvering to line up, while reducing my speed, lowering landing gear, and so forth. I landed okay, but too long for my taste. So after parking the plane, shutting down the engine, and "escaping" the flight, I restarted it. I was better prepared the second time and landed shorter, although still a bit roughly. Here I "am" at Hana.

Hana.png

Instead of shutting down this time, I taxied back to RWY 8 to fly back to Kahului. Another MSFS pilot (not an AI pilot) was taxiing ahead of me in a Beech G36, and the two of us did a kind of do-see-do to stay out of each other's way. I had no way to set up a flight plan from Hana to Kahului in the Bonanza's Garmin, other than to accept a direct course which would've sent me over (or into) Mt. Haleakala. But I already knew the way, so I set NAV1 to the locator/ILS frequency for RWY 2 at Kahului and took off. After continuing past Maui's eastern tip, I flew west along the southern slope of Mt. Haleakala.

Return to Kahalui.png

Then I turned north toward Maui's "saddle" and onward in to Kahului, following an approach I already knew well from having flown there commercially in "RL," though initially at a much higher altitude. After negotiating a final approach through the trees at Hana, landing at wide-open PHOG was a proverbial "piece of cake." Once again, as at Kona, I was disappointed in Asobo's rendering of the terminal buildings at Kahului. They're just generic buildings and nothing like the real thing.

Kahaui.png

One of these days, Asobo needs to do a Hawaii update. But to their credit, I really loved the wind turbines I saw whirling on the sides of Mt. Haleakala and Mau'i' smaller peak southwest of Kahului. Mahalo, my French friends.

Edited by Aptosflier

I flew a short hop from Honolulu to Moloka'i in the Beech G36. This was my first stop in a planned air tour of the islands. Moloka'i is perhaps best-known today as the site of a mid-19th century lepers colony. Leprosy was incurable back then, and the Hawaiians had no immunity to it. The government of King Kamehameha V established the colony in a fishing village on Moloka'i's westernmost point, the Kalaupapa peninsula, where the lepers were hemmed in by abrupt, unscalable 2,000-foot-high cliffs to the east and the ocean to the west. I passed over the peninsula at about 3,000 ft. ASL on a straight-in approach to RWY 5 at PHMK.

Final at Molokai.png

On final at Moloka'i

Molokai taxiing.jpg

Taxiing at Moloka'i

The Moloka'i airport is a pretty sleepy place, as you can see.

Next stop: Lana'i.

The government of King Kamehameha V established the colony in a fishing village on Moloka'i's westernmost point, the Kalaupapa peninsula, where the lepers were hemmed in by abrupt, unscalable 2,000-foot-high cliffs to the east and the ocean to the west. I passed over the peninsula at about 3,000 ft. ASL on a straight-in approach to RWY 5 at PHMK.

I was wrong on a couple of counts. The site of the leper colony is not at Moloka'i's westernmost point--it's north and east of the airport--and I didn't fly over it on a straight-in approach to the airport from the west. I shoulda checked Google Earth first. I'm going back for a flyby of those 2,000-ft. cliffs--pali, in Hawaiian.

How funny, I was just going to post that I flew from PHTO to PHLI today, in the same plane as you, no less! Gorgeous flight, seeing the islands from up on high. I'm in the process of learning how to fly the G36, though, as the prop pitch, mix, and throttle required some fiddling to optimize engine performance. As it was, I ran a bit low on fuel, but I didn't run out. Fought a bit of crosswind landing at Lihue at 8 knots, but managed to land...not before stalling right before flaring though, doh!

How funny, I was just going to post that I flew from PHTO to PHLI today, in the same plane as you, no less! Gorgeous flight, seeing the islands from up on high. I'm in the process of learning how to fly the G36, though, as the prop pitch, mix, and throttle required some fiddling to optimize engine performance. As it was, I ran a bit low on fuel, but I didn't run out. Fought a bit of crosswind landing at Lihue at 8 knots, but managed to land...not before stalling right before flaring though, doh!

You're bolder than I. I'm still flying with "unlimited" fuel. As for crosswinds on landing, I've gotta work on that; I need to spend some time practicing crabbing the plane, flying low and slow over a runway focusing on keeping the nose lined up with the centerline, but not landing. That's my objective for today.

Wellllll, I “cheated” a bit by utilizing ILS glidescope. I enjoy flying IFR.

Continuing my Hawaii island hopping in the Beech G36 today, I flew from Moloka'i to Lana'i twice, and then flew two more final approaches there.

At the beginning of my first flight, I flew along the north coast of Moloka'i to see the dramatic cliffs that rise straight up, to 2,000 feet ASL. I flew lower than the top of the cliffs, at about 1,300 feet, toward Kalaupapa, the site of a 19th-century leper colony. (The leprosy victims exiled there had no chance of escape, hemmed in by the cliffs on one side and the ocean on the other. Today there's a little airfield there. The only other way in or out is by boat.) The Bonanza got pretty roughed up as I started to climb above the cliffs and turn south to get back on course for Lana'i. There are some serious updrafts goin' on around there. The Bonanza settled down when I was back over the island.

I found the approach and landing at Lanai's RWY 3 quite challenging, and not only because there's no localizer at PHNY. First off, the airport sits at 1,300 ft. ASL on a treeless plateau with little around it to give much perspective to an approaching pilot. Here's how it looked on one of my approaches when I was about four miles out at around 2,300 ft. ASL.

Lanai final.jpg

Second, the plateau is pretty windswept. A strong, right-to-left crosswind made it tough to stay centered over the runway. Plus, once I was down and before I could retract my flaps, the Bonanza started weather vaning like crazy. I wasn't happy with my landing, so I restarted the flight to do it again. On my first approach, I followed the GPS direct-route magenta line over the island until I spotted the runway (barely), then banked right to fly a sorta downwind leg out to sea before turning back to land. The second time, I ignored the line, flew seaward of the westernmost point of Lanai and then turned onto a long base leg before turning onto final. For this landing, I did what I guess you might call a "power glide," more throttle than before, with full flaps (and gear down, of course), using my trim tab to keep the nose aimed at the runway. The landing was better, but I still weather vaned upon landing. Rather than restarting from Moloka'i, I returned to the World map to set up an arrival at Lana'i. The third landing was an improvement over the second, and my fourth landing was the best, with nary a bounce. I have yet to learn how to crab a plane on final. I think I understand the principle: if a crosswind is pushing you to the right, for instance, you need to bank left while applying some right rudder to keep the wings level. I'm finding that easier said than done. What I did find today was that I could reduce the effects of a crosswind with a combination of adding power and trimming the nose down. I think this increased the force of the "relative wind" over the plane's control surfaces, which helped me stay level and keep in line with the runway. Here I am clearing the runway at Lanai.

Lanai clearing RWY 3.jpg

Oracle CEO Larry Ellison owns 98 percent of Lanai (he bought it from Castle and Cooke) and lives there much of the year, according to Wikipedia. I was hoping to see his Gulfstream parked there, but no such luck.

Edited by Aptosflier

Wellllll, I “cheated” a bit by utilizing ILS glidescope. I enjoy flying IFR.

I'm a full believer in using ILS whenever available.

Day three of my air trip around the Hawaiian islands: I flew from Lanai to Kahului, Maui, and then on to Kona on the Big Island. The Live weather conditions were less than ideal; cloud cover everywhere. I was in soup much of the way from Lanai to Maui, on an IFR course that took me a somewhat long way around to RYW 2 at PHOG. I used autopilot for most of the trip, cruising at 3,000 ft., the bottom altitude on the approach plate. Early on final approach I caught sight--through the clouds--of wind turbines churning away on the slopes of the West Maui's extinct volcano. Two jetliners overtook me on final. I'd disengaged the AP and was in the final stages of landing when MSFS ATC told me to go around, but no way was I going to abort and try to find my way back to the runway in the existing conditions. I landed anyway, and parked on the GA side of the airport.

Kahului soupy.jpg

Dark day on Maui

After going to the World map to set up a new flight plan for Kona, I returned to Maui, taking off again from RWY 2. The IFR flight plan called for me to continue on a heading of 20 degrees for some distance beyond the airport and then abruptly reverse course. I thought that was a bit nuts, so I decided to hand-fly the Bonanza to the course line on the GPS map, figuring I could engage the AP once I intersected it. The AP had other ideas, trying to turn back toward PHOG to get back on the original track. So I flew the rest of the way to Kona without AP. I'd set up the instrument approach in the Garmin's "PROC" menu before taking off, and I still hoped to take advantage of the ILS approach to RWY 17 at PHKO. I turned on the AP and pushed the approach button when I reached the glideslope intersection, and the Bonanza immediately banked left. So I canceled that and flew the rest of the way on my own. I landed despite ATC instructions to enter the "downwind leg" to RWY 35, opposite the way I was going. The less said about the landing, the better. In retrospect, I probably would've been better off letting the AP do its thing from Kahului, and landing on heading 350 degrees instead of 170 degrees at Kona.

I flew around KLAS doing some further tweaking of the panel in my new Luscombe Silvaire.

Also took the new Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer for its very first test flight. Flew well on first attempt, indicating predicted range of 15,000 nm. Needs to be at least 21,000, so some work to do.

I backtracked to Kahului today to redo yesterday's trip to Kona, which became a bit of a mess--strange IFR routing, balky autopilot; my bad for neglecting to select the "RWY 17 ILS" approach at Kona on the World map. I remembered that step today and got a more rational route. Taking off from the PHOG runway with a heading close to the "magenta line" (RWY 20 instead of RWY 2) also helped. I flew in the Beech G36, in live weather again; the weather and views were much better today, vs. yesterday when I was in the clouds a lot. Here's a view out the co-pilot's window of Kaho'olawe, an arid, uninhabited low-lying island just southwest of Maui that gets next to no rainfall:

Maui-Kona Kaho'olawe.jpg

And here's a view of Maui's dormant Haleakala volcano out the pilot's window:

Maui-Kona Haleakala.jpg

Feeling good about myself following a pretty decent landing at Kona, I decided to continue on to Waimea-Kohala (PHMU) so I could "leave" the Bonanza there for my next leg, a short flight to Hilo. I found PHMU among the Garmin's "nearest" airports and set a direct course to it. With the live weather between Kona and Waimea looking less than promising--lots of ominous-looking clouds shrouding the uplands between Kona and Waimea--and with no localizer at Waimea, I cheated and changed the weather to scattered clouds, much more to my liking, and comfort. Waimea sits at 2,671 ft. ASL on a grassy plain between two of the Big Island's five volcanoes: Mt. Kohala and Mauna Kea. The other three are Mauna Loa, Kilauea, and Hualalai. Kona International Airport was built on an old Hualalai lava flow. Hualalai was between me and my destination. The magenta course line in the Bonanza's Garmin appeared to take me directly over it. Taking off from from PHKO's RWY 17 on a heading away from the Garmin course to Waimea, I continued on that heading toward Kailua before turning east to circle around Hualalai and get back on course to PHMU.

Maui-Kona Hulahai.jpg

Hualalai volcano

I landed in Waimea in good order and parked the Bonanza. Here's the G36 with the Big Island's Mauna Kea in the background.

Maui-Kona Mauna Kea.jpg

You can't see Mauna Kea's 13,380-ft summit from Waimea. We took a summit tour once to watch the sunset and do some star gazing. The tour company furnished us with parkas and mittens. It's friggin cold up there.

A lovely sunset flight from Rouen, France to Innsbruck (LFOP - LOWI)

At least, it was lovely until I started crossing over into Austria and it became pitch black. Man, it almost felt like I was just floating in a void, it was that unsettling. Only came across a few towns with lights before it was time for me to land, and did I miss my first approach...by a lot. I thought approach would've vectored me in with the proper altitudes, but they never did that, so I was stuck at 13,000 ft. overflying the runway from way up on high. Learned how to input and implement a new approach procedure in the G1000 (thank you, Working Title) and started over again, but this time following the altitude restrictions in my flight plan in Little Navmap. I had little fuel left, so I needed to make this landing one way or another. I elected to lower myself to 3,000 ft, figuring I should be able to see the runway in front of me at this point eventually. Went through the approach procedure, and I can understand why LOWI can be challenging. Hell, it's frightening at night. In fact, I damn near ran myself into an island of a mountain somewhere in the middle of that valley after banking around, I never saw it until I was on top of it. That was a close call. After that, it got a lot smoother and landed the plane with ease (but left of centerline...ALWAYS left, why can I land on the centerline?!?).

Also, VNAV doesn't work. Not yet anyway. The Working Title CJ4 is the only one I know right now with functioning VNAV. I don't bother flying the tubeliners, that's not my thing.

smg36.jpg

smg36a.jpg

smgolden hour.jpg

On day five of my Hawaiian Islands tour, I picked up where I left off yesterday, with my Beech Bonanza G36 parked at Waimea (on the Big Island). I set up a low-level IFR flight plan to Hilo Intl. Airport to the south, but headed northeast after takeoff and than turned south for some sightseeing along the northeastern Kohala coast. Mt. Kohala, at around 5,000 ft. ASL is the fourth highest of Hawai'i Island's five volcanoes (Kilauea is the lowest at around 4,000 ft.) and is this area's distinguishing feature. To seaward, millenia of runoff from Mt. Kohala's summit have gouged deep, dramatic valleys into its eastern flank. One of these beautiful valleys is Waipi'o. Another is Pololu. We visited Waipi'o years ago, driving over from Kona, and taking a horseback tour of the valley floor. I wanted to see Waipi'o from the (virtual) air before heading for Hilo.

Hilo Waipio Valley.jpg

Waipi'o Valley and Mt. Kohala summit, en route to Hilo

After seeing the sights of northeast Kohala, I southeasterly until I intersected my course to Hilo, then turned on the autopilot and enjoyed the view of the Big Island's Hamakua Coast.

Hilo Mauna Kea.jpg

Cruising the Hamakua Coast, summit of Mauna Kea in the background

I landed on Hilo's RWY 26, where a thick stand of trees initially obscures the end of the runway on final approach from the ocean. They're not really a hazard, but you gotta have faith they won't get in your way.

Hilo arrival.jpg

Taxiing at Hilo Intl.

Next leg: Hilo to Lihu'e, Kaua'i.