Where did you fly today ?

New Zealand North Island southwest coast and Mt Taranaki, a volcano.

NZWU to NZNP

NZWU takeoff.jpg

NZNorthIsl1.jpg

NZNorthIsl2.jpg

NZNorthIsl3.jpg

NZNorthIsl4.jpg

NZNorthIsl5.jpg

NZNPlanding.jpg

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect they will cover that in an Australia and New Zealand update similar to Japan and Europe. This is a long term project, so it may not be an area covered right away?
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

New Plymouth to Auckland, New Zealand

Note one of the hazards of live traffic. Airliner zooms 500 feet beneath aircraft on approach.

New PlymouthDep.jpg

NewPlymouth2.jpg

NewPlymouth3.jpg

NewPlymouth4.jpg

NewPlymouthOoops.jpg

AucklandArrive.jpg

Edited by plainsman

I am surprised no one has commented on that next to the last shot. I was cleared to land on 23L. That A320 is only 500 feet beneath me, having flown right by me apparently on the same approach, but out iof sight behind me a few seconds earlier.

KJFK to KSWF. Been practicing VFR landings in my new PMDG DC-6. Another route is KSWF to KAVP (Scranton). Landed today in a bad local thunderstorm - on purpose. :) One very fine and realistic classic old bird to fly. The very best in my hanger.

I am surprised no one has commented on that next to the last shot. I was cleared to land on 23L. That A320 is only 500 feet beneath me, having flown right by me apparently on the same approach, but out iof sight behind me a few seconds earlier.

I see it now that you pointed it out. You wouldn't notice it unless you looked carefully. It would be very scary if that happened in real life.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought the (Orbx) Great Britain Central scenery addon last night... and today I have been flying across northern England... including Sheffield...Manchester.. and even my home town of Bradford.

Best £11 I ever spent!

Oh and for some reason.. no stuttering or CTDs today, even while using OBS :)

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Having for the moment, at least, resolved a very disruptive CTD issue (MSFS crashing when I clicked "Fly"), I took off from Watsonville for Monterey and an ILS landing there on RWY 10R. Monterey is only about 15 minutes away from Watsonville (our closest actual muni airport) as the Beech G36 flies. I'd been having trouble getting the G1000 NXi to capture an ILS glideslope. I wanted to try yet again without spending a lot of time getting to the point of the exercise. I'd earlier watched a YouTube tutorial about the G1000 NXi and now suspected I'd been waiting too long to activate the approach, waiting until reaching "MINCK," the closest intersection, where planes pick up the localizer signal on ILS approach to RWY 10R. In the tutorial I watched, the tutor activated/armed the approach at the first intersection on the approach plate he was following. ZEBED is the first intersection on the KMRY ILS RWY 10 approach plate, so this afternoon I hit APR when I reached it. And darned if the G36 didn't respond and begin descending. There was a hitch, however. The plane was still following the magenta GPS arrow. I'd tuned NAV1 to the ILS frequency before taking off. When I mouse-clicked the PFD's "CDI" button to bring up the localizer, it came up catty-wampus, perpendicular to the runway heading--at 9 and 3 o'clock instead of 6 and 12. So I switched back to the GPS. While continuing to descend on the GPS heading, the plane drifted seriously to the right of the runway centerline. So once again, I had to disengage the AP and hand-fly it in. More good practice I was not looking for. I didn't have this problem with ILS approaches in the pre-NXi-upgrade G1000.

As a side note, the ILS approach to RWY 10R at Monterey has changed since sim update 5. It now includes a circular "hold" pattern which was not there before.

KWVI to KMRY odd approach.jpg

I cleared it out of the flight plan, but it stubbornly persisted in the approach, adding several minutes to the flight. The previous approach was more direct.

After landing at Monterey, I went back to the World Map to set up an RNAV course and approach at Salinas. On autopilot, the G36 flew past Salinas and down the Salinas Valley...

KWVI to KSNS Salinas Valley.jpg

...and swung out over the Santa Lucia range before turning back to the airport.

KWVI to KSNS Santa Lucia Mts..jpg

The approach I flew at Salinas, RNAV (GPS) Y RWY 31, has no VNAV, only LNAV. LNAV kept the G36 lined up with the runway pretty well, leaving me to manage the descent with the autopilot. Monterey, on the other hand, supports VNAV and LNAV. My PC and MSFS willing, I will return to KMRY next to see if I can "shoot" a VNAV approach to RWY 10R.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Winner South Dakota to Bassett Nebraska. As you cross the state line you encounter some rough landscape. We then fly over the tiny burg of Burton Nebraska, then cross the scenic Niobrara River Valley, and finally fly over Bassett before landing at KRBE

WinnerSD1.jpg

Basset1.jpg

BurtonNE.jpg

Basset2.jpg

Basset3.jpg

I flew from Albany, NY to Manchester, NH in the Daher TBM. This was my first-ever flight (in MSFS) east of Chicago. I embarked on this flight a few days ago and was midway to two-thirds through it -- and enjoying the change of scenery and the live weather back East -- when MSFS CTD'd on me, an event that along with other issues led me to uninstall/reinstall the sim; again. With my CTD problems resolved (I hope) I took off from Albany for Manchester again this afternoon determined to complete this flight. The weather around Albany was nice as I climbed out ...

KALB to KMHT enroute.png

But it got more interesting as I crossed the Granite State ...

KALB to KMHT weather!.png

And the flight became all-too interesting when I made the mistake of fiddling with a setting in the Daher's MFD that I should have left alone. I was flying on autopilot, bound for an ILS approach to RWY 6 at KMHT. I'd set the ILS LOC frequency before taking off and loaded the approach into the Daher's G3000. I was closing in on KMHT's "Charlie" airspace and everything was preceding as flight-planned when I checked the approach one more time. I saw a "load" option. I didn't know why the Garmin was offering me this option as I'd already loaded the approach, but I mouse-clicked it anyway. Boy was that a mistake! The Daher suddenly veered off to the north. I immediately disengaged the autopilot and tried to get back to the "magenta" line. By the time I managed that I was almost directly over Manchester's airport. (Just before I discovered KMHT under my right wing, I'd confused some runway lights I'd seen off to the northwest with Manchester's.) I declared a missed approach and, using the MFD map screen for orientation and the autopilot heading knob for maneuvering (I'd reengaged the AP, without NAV), I managed to get the Daher lined up for a landing on RWY 6. At this point however, I was too high, and coming in too fast. I cut the throttle back to dump altitude. Meanwhile, despite full flaps and gear down, I wasn't slowing quickly enough. So I "mushed" the Daher, pulling back the yoke and abruptly raising the nose to dump some speed. This maneuver complicated my descent, but after I pushed the nose down again, I managed to bring the Daher in at around 90 kts.

Parked at Manchester

KALB to KMHT Made it.png

All's well that ends well, and for me these days, any flight that doesn't end in a CTD has ended very well.

KALB to KMHT enroute.png

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

First things first: I actually flew somewhere today. I logged about 44 minutes of flight time this afternoon, spread over two flights, with no disruptive CTDs! This follows on nearly an hour of sim-flying yesterday, again without a CTD. And in my circumstantial opinion, all of that follows, especially, on my decision to stick with MSFS's stock G1000, instead downloading/installing the Working Title G1000 NXi following my (latest) reinstall of MSFS the other day. But enough of that.

Today I warmed up with a 10-minute hop from Watsonville to Monterey in the Daher TBM, with an ILS approach over the Monterey Peninsula to RWY 10R at KMRY. Instead of building a flight plan on the World Map, I entered the waypoints (just two) into the Daher's (stock; not modded) G3000 FPL menu, and then confirmed and loaded the ILS approach in the PROC menu. The flight and approach went off without a hitch. As per usual before takeoff for an ILS approach, I dialed the LOC/ILS frequency for my target runway into NAV1 on my Logitech radio panel and set it as active. When I reached the approach-course intersection with the glideslope, I pressed APR on the Logitech multipanel, and watched as the Daher shed altitude (while doing other stuff, like putting in more flaps and monitoring airspeed; I'd already lowered the gear and put in one notch of flaps somewhere around Cannery Row). I turned off the autopilot around 300 ft. AGL and brought the TBM in at about 85 kts. for a smooth landing. The only fly in this ointment was that the tower told me to land in the opposite direction, 28L. I tried to request 10R, but that option was not offered on the drop-down ATC menu, so I just ignored them. Surprisingly, the tower didn't say boo when I landed in the wrong direction.

For my second act, I flew from Albany, NY to Manchester, NH, taking off from RWY 1 at KALB and landing on RWY 6 at KMHT. This was a redo of a flight I did yesterday, and messed up when I unintentionally activated the ILS approach prematurely, sent the Daher off course, and got somewhat lost before I found the airport again. I went back to get the approach right and because I had really enjoyed flying through honest-to-god weather back there. (The MSFS live weather around Monterey Bay, where we live, is sooo boring; morning fog and late-morning/afternoon clearing, and that's it.)

Initially, I tried to start this flight like a real Daher pilot, by entering the waypoints into the Daher's MFD, as I had done before taking off on my quick trip from Watsonville to Monterey. I don't use Navigraph or other such aids. I used the world map to make the flight plan, took notes on all the waypoints, and then went to the Daher to enter them in its MFD FLP menu. I decided that probably wasn't going to work out very well when I mouse-click-typed in the first couple of waypoints from the MSFS flight plan and saw that the Daher's MFD showed them being thousands of miles from Albany. (What's with that, by the way?) So back I went to the World Map, to redo and "file" my the flight plan from KALB to KMHT. The cockpit preliminaries out of the way once I was back in the Daher, I took off into some really fabulous sim weather...

Rainbows!

KALB to KMHT rainbow!.jpg

KALB to KMHT weather ahead.jpg

I'm flying into that?

KALB to KMHT weather weather weather.jpg

Final approach at KMHT

KALB to KMHT final ILS RWY 6.jpg

Takeoff to landing, this trip in the Daher took some 33 minutes -- instead of the 59 minutes it took me the day before, when I blew the approach and went a long, long way around to get back to the airport. But after all the CTD trouble I've had since Sim Update 5, I figure any time I spend in sim air, even if it's somewhat hapless, is time well spent.

KALB to KMHT weather!.png

Edited by Aptosflier

Appleton, WI, to KOSH to Hartford Muni. A bit overcast but a fun flight. AND I now know how to take a screenshot mid-flight - lol

flt 1.png

flt 2.png

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

And this evening, just some local flying staying within 40 miles of MDW.

Screenshot (53).png

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

I flew the old Milwaukee Road Line from Spencer, Iowa to Prairie Du Chien, Wisconsin.

Spence1.jpg

Spencer2.jpg

Spencer3.jpg

Spencer4.jpg

Spencer5.jpg

The usual flight from the airport I used to park my airplane at to the airport I used to fly to when I went to see my family.

KBAF the center ramp, departing runway 02, to KPSF, runway 32 due to wind. Now in real life the wind using runway 32 in Pittsfield can be tricky. With the hill configuration it can slip from almost straight down the runway to the right. For this I have only used runway 14 once.

Many times on FS 2020 that flight, Cape Cod, or to PA is where I fly. I think today I might to a flight from Barnes KBAF to KEEN new Hampshire. IRL the Indian restaurant is amazing.

Three flights this weekend. I did encounter my second CTD, the first since the map issue was fixed last fall. I set up a flight from Ft. Dodge, Iowa to Fargo, North Dakota in the Longitude. I did have the clouds set to broken 66%. I was cruising at 29,000 feet about 2/3 to the destination and a CTD?? I made two other flights without incident later. The first was a short flight from Minnesota into Fargo in the DI40NG. The second was a flight from Detroit Lakes, Minnesota to west of Grand Forks, North Dakota in the Baron.

I am still completely stock, never any addons at all.

FDFar1.jpg

FDFar2.jpg

FDFar3.jpg

FDFar4.jpg

Minn1.jpg

OldLake1.jpg

East ND.jpg

Edited by plainsman

For starters this afternoon, I flew the Daher TBM from Watsonville to Monterey. I had downloaded and installed Working Title's post-Sim-Update 5-updated G3000 and wanted to test it. Prior to takeoff, I entered the course waypoints (which I've memorized by now; there's only a couple) into the TBM's MFD flight planner, and then went to PROC in the MFD to enter and load the approach -- ILS RWY 10R. The PFD switched automatically from GPS to LOC when I reached the first approach-plate intersection (ZEBED). When I reached MINCK, where you intercept the glideslope to 10R, I pressed the APR button in the sim and the Daher began its descent from 1,700 ft., an event I always find somewhat magical.

The final approach was a different story on my second flight in the TBM from Philadelphia Int. to Washington DC's Reagan Natl. Airport, but first some pretty pictures.

I took off from Philly in some very lively live weather -- a raging storm with thunder and lightning. I broke through the first cloud layer at 7,000 or 8,000 ft.

KPHL to KDCA climbing out.jpg

I saw lightning flashing between cloud layers as I flew, but snapping a screenshot of sim lightning is as challenging as getting a shot of the real thing is.

The weather cleared somewhat as I flew south ...

KPHL to KDCA clearing weather.jpg

I did not manually enter the flight plan from Philadelphia to DC into the G3000 as I did for the quick flight from Watsonville to Monterey. Being lazy, I filed it in the World Map, which sent it to the plane. I did go to the MFD's PROC screen to confirm the ILS approach to RWY 01 at KDCA. And as on past flights when I didn't manually enter a flight plan into the G3000, I wasn't given an option to load the approach, only to activate it -- which I didn't want to do before taking off, let alone before reaching final at KDCA.

Climbing out from Philadelphia, I set my autopilot for 10,000 feet, the flight level called for in the World Map flight log. But ATC soon directed me to climb to 18,000 ft. Before I got there, ATC told me in quick succession to descend to 12,000 ft. and then climb to 18,000 ft. again. After I reached 18,000 ft., ATC told me repeatedly to expedite my climb to 18,000 ft. I would've cussed them out through the ATC drop-down menu if I could've. Instead, I muttered under my breath, simulating irritation. Eventually, they told me to descend to 2,500 ft., which was the required flight level at the first final approach intersection to RWY 01. That's when the fun started.

I commenced descending at 1,000 ft./minute. It wasn't fast enough. I increased my VS to minus 1,500 ft./minute. That still wasn't fast enough. Flying up the Anacostia River toward RWY 01, I could see I was not gonna come even close to landing the Daher, so I declared a missed approach, disengaged the autopilot and went around. I also never came close to flying a prescribed back course. I banked left and flew a reverse course from the localizer heading until I got far enough south to have enough room and time to turn back, line up with the runway again, and bring the Daher in. I managed to get lined up okay, but I was not shedding speed fast enough to land. So I resorted to a trick I'd learned from reading Stick and Rudder, "mushing." I raised the TBM's nose to dump speed, fast, then dropped it before the Daher could stall. Now my speed was down to around 85 kts. After that, landing the plane was a breeze. Who needs ILS anyway?

Afterwards, I sim-patted myself on the back for landing planes on opposite coasts on the same day.

Edited by Aptosflier

I just double-checked my first screenshot. I was at 5,740 ft. at this point in the flight, in case anybody else is checking.