Where did you fly today ?

I've done Quito, Ecuador and Nice/Cote d'Azur so far, ranking in the top 10 in both challenges, which sounds good, except I don't imaging a lot of people bother with them. Landing at Sedona is much harder than either one of those. ;-(

I suspect you perceive there are "not a lot of people bothering with them" because you rank so high and they don't show you what a low rank looks like. I tried the Lukla challenge right now and placed about 40,000. Then I tried St. Barth and after 3 tries got to about 20,000.

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect you perceive there are "not a lot of people bothering with them" because you rank so high and they don't show you what a low rank looks like. I tried the Lukla challenge right now and placed about 40,000. Then I tried St. Barth and after 3 tries got to about 20,000.

I don't consider myself a skilled sim pilot, yet. I ranked sixth in the Donegal cross-wind landing challenge this morning. It's the most interesting approach I've done to date. I want to try it again, with the localizer frequency, which I looked up after I'd finished. Maybe I've just been picking off the low-hanging fruit. I'll try the ones you just did and see how well I do with them.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I've done Quito, Ecuador and Nice/Cote d'Azur so far, ranking in the top 10 in both challenges, which sounds good, except I don't imaging a lot of people bother with them. Landing at Sedona is much harder than either one of those. ;-(

Quito is one of the most challenging airports i have ever flown an airliner into. ILS with clouds and mountains.. Truth be told theres a few dents in hillsides in the region.. be very careful with ATC and constraints.

I'm a dual US-Canadian and Vancouver Island is one of my favorite places on earth. I've been there a few times (and I even have an ex from there but that's a different forum), but never had the time to visit the isolated, western side of the island. So I decided to journey from Alert Bay up north to one of only two airports on the western coast, Tofino. I flew a Beechcraft Baron because icing threat is severe right now, especially in the sim which makes icing worse than real conditions.

Landed at Tofino uneventfully. Handled some phone calls, work stuff, other goofing off stuff for a long time while leaving the plane idling. Then decided to fly direct to Victoria, which is British Columbia's capital city.

Except I forgot about fuel management. All that idling, see...

While I was cruising and literally finishing up a class session for real-life ground school, I heard the engine sputter. I instantly knew what I had done wrong. I decided to try and handle the situation with as much realism as I could, without cheating. A CTRL-R would've just fueled me up and kept me on my way to Victoria. Instead, from 11,500 feet I had to quickly decide where I could land. Scanning nearby airports on the G1000 confirmed that none were within reach. I was about 40 nm from Tofino where I had taken off from. This stretch of Vancouver Island was truly desolate, and mountainous.

As I kept up a safe gliding airspeed, with a descent of about 1,000 feet per minute, I picked out a potential landing area. It was close to a road. Once I got lower perhaps the road was wide enough to try and land on. But there was also a patch of somewhat flat terrain not covered by trees and forest. It was a bit challenging to line myself to land on it with no power, and a little suspenseful. I needed one 360 turn to lower myself sufficiently, and it was hard to gauge whether I'd make it. The landing patch, not being a runway, was also angled awkwardly. The road was not an option.

Landing gear down or up? I have no academic training on this question. An experienced pilot I heard talk about this on YouTube suggested that landing gear should be up when crash landing. So that's what I opted for. Flaps fully retracted. Airspeed about 90 knots as I approached and slowed down to 80 as I hit the ground, with the stall warning going off. In my opinion I nailed the landing as safely as it could be nailed.

I checked Google satellite imagery with my coordinates to see whether I really could have landed there. It turns out that the patch was real. It looked like a tree-cutting operation had created the bald patch, and many others in the area.

Hope this never happens to me in real life ever, but I do intend to self-educate, train, and prepare for it.

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Quito is one of the most challenging airports i have ever flown an airliner into. ILS with clouds and mountains.. Truth be told there's a few dents in hillsides in the region.. be very careful with ATC and constraints.

Are you talking about the old Quito airport, or the new one, or both? We flew into Quito three times (and out twice) in 2015 during an Overseas Adventure Travel tour that included a visit to Ecuador's Amazon basin (we bused across the Andes from Quito and flew back) and then to the Galapagos Islands via Guayaquil, returning to Quito by air again for several nights before we flew home. We flew to and from Ecuador on American Airlines transiting through Miami. I was nervous about flying into Quito because I remembered reports of commercial airline crashes on takeoff/landing at the old airport, which was in the heart of the city, at 9,000 ft. ASL. I was relieved when I learned that one had been retired.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Today I flew from Alice Springs YBAS to YHBY , southwest in search of the Henbury meteorites Conservation Reserve. I found the craters but they were a little underwhelming. An amazing landscape in the center of Oz though.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I know it's cheating, but you could always "add" some fuel in-flight - there's an option in the toolbar.

I, of course, would never dream of it, always making sure I've got enough fuel before I take off .......................!:p

I've created a shortcut to refuel by just hitting Control-R, so I can instantly refuel in mid-air. But I opted to exercise my sim brain muscles to simulate an emergency instead.

Needed a change of scenery, so took the Cessna 152 on a slow VFR whirl around Paris, taking off from Orly, circling around the Eifel Tower and then landing at Le Bourget, because though I meant to head back to Orly, I spied a nice straight-in approach to Le Bourget and aimed for it instead. Nice, smooth landing, after which I got totally lost amid all the taxiways and finally followed the GPS drop-down map to general aviation parking.

Gay Pareeee!.png

Flew from Telluride to Gunnison, Colo.; flight time in the Beech Bonanza, about 37 minutes. I skied at Telluride a lifetime ago in 1992, but my memories of the ski area, the town below--and views of the airport from the ski slopes above are still fresh. Sitting on a mesa in a box canyon with ominously rising mountain peaks on both sides, KTEX is a notoriously difficult place to land. Not ready for that challenge just yet, I chose to start my trip there, which was challenging enough.

I set up a low-level IFR flight plan, including an ILS approach to RWY 6 at Gunnison, where I've landed before in MSFS, and commercially in RL (i.e., real life). But taking off from Telluride, I could not immediately engage the autopilot because some pesky mountain peaks blocked the way. Instead, I flew manually on a heading away from, and north of the GPS magenta line, climbing until it looked safe to turn back toward it. I engaged the AP when I reached the GPS track and let the Bonanza do its thing, intervening only to adjust the throttle and altitude per the AI ATC's instructions. I disengaged the AP at maybe 300 ft. AGL and reducing flaps a notch to get the nose down so's I could see the runway, I executed a pretty smooth touchdown at Gunnison, marred only by a sloppy turn off the runway (messed up some dead grass).

Very few other simmers in the skies back there, unlike the swarm of them here in the greater SF Bay Area. I had the drop-down GPS map displayed during the flight. I saw other sim planes displayed there, and I actually caught sight of one above me at about 10 o'clock.

All in all a satisfying experience, made even more so by the absence of the dreaded CTD. :cool:

Reprising a couple of unsuccessful attempts to land at Santa Catalina Island yesterday (26 miles across the sea...), I took off from Santa Monica in a Beechcraft Bonanza this morning and managed to set the plane down reasonably well at Catalina, twice, landing first on RWY 22, then taking off and flying a pattern to land from the opposite direction, on RWY 4. Of the two approaches, I prefer the second. RWY 22 is the direct approach coming from L.A., but there's an intervening ridge that can force you to come in too high. That's what happened to me yesterday, when I landed too long and too fast and sailed off the end of the runway, down into a gully, and crashed into some trees, twice. Landing on RWY 4 is easier because the aforesaid gully is below you and you can come in lower without fear of running into something. Learning from my experiences yesterday, today I stopped worrying about the ridge before the beginning of RWY 22 and landed in spite of it, then tried the opposite approach just for fun. I didn't get credit in my flight log for either, because the sim CTD'd while I was fiddling with the Garmin to set up a return flight plan for Santa Monica.

KRSW to KCLE in the Working Title CJ4 mod! Wow, what an elegant plane that is! I hit a few bumps en route, though, forgetting to hit the NAV button on my PFD to set it to the FMS. I finally reached a comfort level with SimBrief and put that to use for this flight. One of the neat things about the Working Title mod was just using your pilot ID from SimBrief to automatically load up your flight plan in the FMS, enabling you to skip the world map pretty much entirely (obviously still had to select a departure airport and parking ramp, though). After watching a few CJ4 tutorials and reading the Working Title manual pretty much from cover to cover, I gained a great working knowledge and understanding of the CJ4 and its systems, particularly the FMS system (emulating the Collins Pro Line 21 damn near button for button). The detent in the throttle for take-off, climb, and cruise are really nice to have and makes it easy for one to know exactly where to put that throttle. Learned a bit about the engines on this plane from Filbert Flies YouTube in that it uses FADEC and automatically knows and does a lot of the work for you. Pretty much all you need to do is pay attention to the airspeed and throttle.

After figuring out the navigational challenges, it was smooth flying from there. Clouds weren't quite as high in image quality as I expected them to be, but then I mostly kept my eyes glued to the instruments with the occasional look outside.

The STAR and approach were implemented very nicely and the VNAV works, I think? I think I goofed it up a bit because I thought the VNAV works but you still need to select either VS or FLC to make it work. I'll have to back to that and study that up some.

The ILS was a snap. This was really my first IFR approach using the approach mode in autopilot and it worked like a charm. Landing was, well, bit of a challenge! It floated on me some and it wasn't the most butterific landing one could ask for, but I didn't crash...and you know the old saying about landings. This was my first landing in a CJ4, after all!

Only other hiccup was underestimating the amount of fuel needed.

Whatta plane!

Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

KRSW to KCLE in the Working Title CJ4 mod! Wow, what an elegant plane that is!

I searched for it out of curiosity, but I didn't see anything re. a plane, per se. Is this a performance modification of some sort for the Cessna Citation that's included with MSFS 2020? Or is it a third-party aircraft add-on?

I searched for it out of curiosity, but I didn't see anything re. a plane, per se. Is this a performance modification of some sort for the Cessna Citation that's included with MSFS 2020? Or is it a third-party aircraft add-on?

Yes, it’s a performance mod of the existing CJ4 in all versions of MSFS. HIGHLY recommended! Along with their Garmin mods.

http://packages.workingtitle.aero/

Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Looking for a change of scenery today, I took off from Luxembourg, where I alighted in 1967 on my first trip to Europe, arriving on an Icelandic Airlines flight from New York (jet prop, via Keflavik). Not wanting to take a long flight, I picked the nearest airport and headed for it in the Beech Bonanza, following the magenta line on the GPS. It turned out to be a pretty obscure airstrip; it looked like a grass field. I circled to get a decent view of it, with no luck. Meanwhile, my ATC turned into a stuck record, with "me" repeating over and over and over that I was on final to land on runway 20. I turned off my speakers. I eventually ran out of patience, and not wanting to bail with the "ESC" key, I looked for somewhere to set down. I didn't see any likely looking highways, so I just landed the Bonanza in some farmer's field. I doubt the landing gear would've withstood the stress of the rough ground in RL.

Luxemburg grounded.jpg

After that, I started a "bush trip" from Rijeka, Croatia to Santorini. The first leg, in the Cessna 172, was supposed to take 40 minutes or so. I kept following the GPS magenta line, but when after close to an hour I hadn't come upon anything that looked like an airport, I veered off the presumed track and headed for the nearest one I could find, landing in the middle of seemingly nowhere. I shut down the engine and turned off all the electronics, figuring I'd be returned to the bush-trip flight plan with credit for something. But nothing happened. So I ESCd out of that and returned to the main menu, where my log showed I'd at least gotten credit for another hour of flight time. Also on the plus side, I didn't have a single CTD today!

Edited by Aptosflier

Wanted to fly somewhere different and practice up in a DA-62 for a planned world tour. Also wanted to get a taste of a handcrafted airport and chose Gibraltar (I see the difference between that airport and others but, well, I just didn't care that much I guess. The takeoff was a lot of fun, though!).

Struggled a bit with the G1000 and having to re-learn a few things. Haven't gotten the hang of a proper approach without VNAV to tell me so and I guess the SimBrief planned altitudes were a bit off. I'll try using Little NavMap to customize my STAR and approach. I did like the CJ4's FMS doing that for me and have to learn to see if the G1000 will do that for me or not. I suppose I can always do it manually using VS mode and reference the approach plates for destination airports to hit that glidescope to capture it.

DA-62 is a nifty little plane with sporty speed, but man, it felt a little...cramped? I get the feeling that at 5'10", the top of my head would brush the ceiling!

SpanishMts.jpg

cockpit.jpg

Needing a change of scenery from our local Monterey Bay area, where I unimaginatively do most of my sim flying, I took off today from San Juan, Puerto Rico in the Beech Bonanza at dusk and flew to Cyril King Int. Airport (TIST), at Charlotte Amalie on St. Thomas. I was virtually revisiting the place, because I'd flown in there for real in November, 1968--from Philadelphia in a U.S. government-chartered plane--for Peace Corps training. I landed on RWY 10, after a final approach that brought me in low over the water, the runway threshold at Charlotte Amalie being essentially at the water's edge. They've changed the airport's name since I was last there 52-plus years ago. Back then it was Harry S. Truman Airport.

St. Thomas.png

KMRY to KTEX in the TBM-930 with live weather for the first time. Man, but is it CHOPPY up there!

ATC instructions were...confusing. I didn't know why they wanted me to fly at 14,000, then 13,000 the next minute, then back to 14,000 while my flight plan called for 30,000. At least I realize my mistake when landing at KTEX thinking they were wrong when they wanted me to land on the other side thinking they missed my approach or something. Technically, they *were* wrong because their instructions would've had me land with a 36-knot tail wind! It got a little hairy landing with that crosswind, but I managed it. Crosswind at cruising altitude was around 85 knots!

Was playing around a bit more with the head tracker with my webcam as well as using the Mobile Companion App (MCA). I'm getting used to the head tracker, but it's still slightly wonky. The MCA is a godsend. I wonder, however, if either or both of them are affecting the performance of my rig because while on approach, my FPS dropped down to as low as 10 and more or less hovered around the teens. I don't know if it was a combination of the terrain and my 3060 Ti just not being enough (despite cranking settings lower than preferred but since I use a 3440x1440 monitor, I had to).

Seems like I spend a LOT more time tweaking and setting up my flying experience than actually flying!

KMRY to KTEX in the TBM-930 with live weather for the first time. Man, but is it CHOPPY up there!

ATC instructions were...confusing. I didn't know why they wanted me to fly at 14,000, then 13,000 the next minute, then back to 14,000 while my flight plan called for 30,000.

Was playing around a bit more with the head tracker with my webcam as well as using the Mobile Companion App (MCA). I'm getting used to the head tracker, but it's still slightly wonky.

Seems like I spend a LOT more time tweaking and setting up my flying experience than actually flying!

Monterey to Telluride? How long did that take, and how did your landing go? KTEX is a challenging airport, being on a mesa. I’ve flown from Telluride to Gunnison (KGUC), taking off from Telluride being easier than landing there.

And why from Monterey? Do you live in the Monterey Bay Area? I do, and most days, do some landing practice at Watsonville—about eight miles from us in RL—before I fly somewhere else.

As for MSFS’s ATC altitude instructions, they’re nonsensical as far as I can tell. Once when I was flying from Santa Monica to Big Bear, following ATC’s directions would’ve sent me into a mountainside. I use “low-altitude IFR” in MSFS to get a detailed flight plan, with an ILS approach if one’s available, and then cancel IFR in the air to get rid of ATC’s irritating instructions.

As for head tracking, I’m happy with TrackIR 5. No tweaking is required once you have it dialed in to your liking. You just need to launch it and calibrate it—a matter of hitting F12 on your keyboard—before you launch MSFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monterey to Telluride? How long did that take, and how did your landing go? KTEX is a challenging airport, being on a mesa. I’ve flown from Telluride to Gunnison (KGUC), taking off from Telluride being easier than landing there.

And why from Monterey? Do you live in the Monterey Bay Area? I do, and most days, do some landing practice at Watsonville—about eight miles from us in RL—before I fly somewhere else.

As for MSFS’s ATC altitude instructions, they’re nonsensical as far as I can tell. Once when I was flying from Santa Monica to Big Bear, following ATC’s directions would’ve sent me into a mountainside. I use “low-altitude IFR” in MSFS to get a detailed flight plan, with an ILS approach if one’s available, and then cancel IFR in the air to get rid of ATC’s irritating instructions.

As for head tracking, I’m happy with TrackIR 5. No tweaking is required once you have it dialed in to your liking. You just need to launch it and calibrate it—a matter of hitting F12 on your keyboard—before you launch MSFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I cheated a bit with the time, I sped it up several times throughout the flight, but all told it took me maybe 2 hours for what I think is normally 3 hours.

Monterey because, I dunno, it just kind of popped up there for me and maybe because my brother-in-law was stationed nearby for a time, though I've never been there.

Just when I finally get the hang of using ATC (except maybe forgetting to acknowledge now and then), ATC goes and throws all kinds of weird instructions at me. No, I'm not going to cruise at 14,000 in an aircraft capable of up to 31,000! Especially over those mountains!

Just when I finally get the hang of using ATC (except maybe forgetting to acknowledge now and then), ATC goes and throws all kinds of weird instructions at me. No, I'm not going to cruise at 14,000 in an aircraft capable of up to 31,000! Especially over those mountains!

With the exception of Mt. Whitney in California (which one could easily circumvent), there aren't any 14,000-ft. peaks between Monterey and Telluride, or anywhere else in "lower 48" for that matter, so I'd be comfortable cruising at 14,000 ft. But when I "flew" from Telluride to Gunnison, I don't think I went much higher than 11,000--just enough to ensure I'd comfortably clear all the mountain peaks enroute. I have yet to fly at commercial airline flight levels in the sim. I'm leery of managing a descent from such heights.

Enroute to KGUC in the Cessna 172

KGUC 4-26.png

• 2 weeks later...
Decided to log some AP time so a trip to the islands was calling my name. B747-8i KSEA to PHNL IFR flight. Pushed back and departed from the north cargo facility. With Live players turned off Live traffic was pretty impressive and at 15:45 local there was lots of landing and departing from Sea-Tac. Nice smooth climb out flying runway hdg till just east of Tacoma and at roughly 6000AGL I flipped on the auto pilot and baby sat that thing all the way to 30k ft where if you are flying the 747 you need to retard your VS roughly to the 400-750 FPM to avoid the porpoising that often happens if you leave the VS too high. 20mins later im at 38K feet and time for cocktails. Smooth flight with no issues except for when my cat stepped on the keyboard and deployed the speed brakes and next thing I knew im down to 200 IAS falling through 28k ft. So much for getting a nap in. Anyways quickly recovered reset everything back to 38k and all was good. Nice easy approach into Rwy 8L with a smooth TD and roll out..Good thing there was plenty of runway because I forgot to deploy the thrust reversers. Taxi to the gate was easy and all in all was a very nice flight roughly 5:30 in duration.. but now its time for a Mai Tai at the Outrigger and thoughts of warmer climes.

Adak to King Salmon, Alaska. CJ4 at 25000. Flight time 2.5 hrs. This was a real bumpy ride with live weather enabled.

ADAK-TO-KING-SALMON.jpg

ADAK-TO-KING-SALMON-2.jpg

RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10