Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did you fly today ?

1. Default Rainbow Bridge (Niagara Falls)

So, tried my hand at flying under Rainbow Bridge at Niagara Falls. Literally a split second after taking this snapshot, I apparently "crashed" into thin air (stupid developer restriction, not at all "realistic" if you ask me!). But at least I came away with a nice screenshot!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raindbow bridge.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	232.0 KB 
ID:	225724
    Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Chosen completely at random, Ghat Libya, and it turned out to some of the most amazing terrain I’ve ever seen in flightsim.

Did touch and go's at the amazing KTEX with live weather, snow flurries kickin around. Incredible scenery, and I recommend it big time.
    - James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

UMGG to UKKG
    UKKD to UMGG
    UUOK to UMGG
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Default Today?

Dublin - Jersey - Southampton in the TBM

Quote Originally Posted by CLE_GrummanTiger View Post
    Maybe the most poisonous place on Earth, I thought maybe I'd take a short flight over the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone because...why not? Took off from a little airstrip to the south of Chernobyl (Dryer Airstrip or something like that...SHORT runway!) and waypointed the #4 reactor. Screenshot shows the infamous reactor with sarcophagus below the plane and the doomed city of of Pripyat just ahead. I didn't think to fly over the city to see if the famous ferris wheel was there (probably, but too lazy to fly back there). Total flight time was just 30 minutes with a few minutes spent circling around the toxic area.Attachment 225722
    The one place on earth that photgrammetry would look spot on

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Decided to do a long flight from Nauru to Micronesia today, in the Pacific Ocean, because I had some work stuff to attend to. It's about a 3 hour flight. Stuck the plane in autopilot at 8,000 feet, live weather had clear blue skies, and forgot about it.

No I mean literally, I forgot about it.

When I remembered and returned to my desktop, the plane was floating in the ocean. Several hints that would allow me to figure details of what happened while I was lollygagging were not available, for various reasons. For one thing the airplane's power was completely shut off. I assume I ran out of fuel of course, and then the battery ran out of power while floating. Little Navmap usually has a tracking trail so I could see my exact course, but it was off too.

All I know is that I was weirdly facing the opposite direction upon crash-landing into the water. Most likely, I reached Micronesia, passed it, and then the autopilot got confused and redirected me back to Nauru. About mid-point between Nauru and Micronesia is when I ran out of fuel.

Thankfully, given the location of the ocean where this happened, the outside world will never actually learn the mind-numbingly stupid way I lost my life on this day. Instead, people will just wonder what happened to me and maybe even give me Amelia Earhart-like legendary status.
    Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Quote Originally Posted by neilends View Post
    ... people will just wonder what happened to me and maybe even give me Amelia Earhart-like legendary status.
    Yes, that did come immediately to mind when I read this. But since you've told us what happened, we are not left to wonder. If you suddenly disappeared from flightsim.com on the other hand...;-)
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Quote Originally Posted by Aptosflier View Post
    Yes, that did come immediately to mind when I read this. But since you've told us what happened, we are not left to wonder. If you suddenly disappeared from flightsim.com on the other hand...;-)
    If that ever happens, tell the cops to question my wife.
    Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Default KWVI to KWVI (several times)

Happy to have MSFS working again and short on time today, I practiced landings at Watsonville, first in the Cessna 172 and then in a new plane for me, the Daher TBM 930. My biggest problem with landing now is establishing and maintaining the right landing speed on final, and I focused on that this afternoon. Happier today with my airspeed control in the Cessna, I decide to move on to the Daher TBM 390, which I'd never flown before. I figured the TBM's more powerful turbocharged engine would really test me, and it did, but I was able to land safely, twice, on KWVI's RWY 20/2. I initially took off and landed on RWY20 (a straight-out departure takes you toward Monterey Bay). After landing, and while taxiing, I noticed the windsock was roughly at 200 degrees. In other words, I'd taken off downwind the first time. So I turned the TBM around, taxiied back to the other end of the runway (RWY 2) and took off again. Lifting off was much easier, of course. In the air, I banked left, flew out over the bay, turned back, maneuvered to line up with the runway, and landed again. I ate up most of RWY 2 in the process, but I didn't embarrass myself in front of the AI ground crew.

After I parked the plane I took a close look at the TBM's Garmin and discovered that you can use its touch screens to create a flight plan to nearby airports. Cool!
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast