Freeware download. Cold Start vs Auto Start depending on which airport you start from

Downwind66

Hi, just out of curiosity, I downloaded a freeware download, a Boeing 737-400. If I start from my designated default flight airport, auto starts okay. If I start from another airport, I have to manually start the aircraft!

Is there a setting that I can tweak, that allows the aircraft to auto start from all locations? :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help on this!

Rick :cool::cool:

Now that is an odd occurrence! So, Ctrl+e only works at your test airport? Is that starting from a new flight or are you using a "saved" flight and switching aircraft? When at a new airport, what happens when you try to autostart?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi Charlie! Thanks for responding! These downloads (2) came directly from HJG, couldn't ask for better flying aircraft than these B-737's. I asked the question here, hoping there was a place to change a setting. I wanted to stay clear of the HJG forum, as I know I would have probably gotten a detailed explanation from Mark C (aerofoto] stating why they make their aircraft the way they do! Sorry, I don't need the reasoning behind it, I just would like some options.:rolleyes:

If there is not a simple fix, Charlie, don't worry about it! I can start the HJG aircraft with CTRL+E, no big deal!

Have a nice day! - Rick :cool::cool:

If I start from my designated default flight airport, auto starts okay. If I start from another airport, I have to manually start the aircraft!

"Seems" to be a fundamental misunderstanding of FS engineering here .... particularly in regard to "older" (key words) FS programming :)

Using the "panel based" engine startup procedures .... if he's shutting-down the engines using CTRL+SHIFT+F1 keyboard commands (which essentially cuts fuel supply and forces the engines to shutdown) .... then fails/forgets to re-engage the fuel supply again "prior to" engine startup afterward but within the same FS session .... THEN .... he'll effectively be preventing the engines from restarting and which will likely explain his experience.

In this particular case it may not be possible to manually restart the engines again .... until CTRL+SHIFT+F4 keyboard commands (I think it is .... and which re-engages the fuel supply) are first applied .... since FS will always remember the last configuration and apply/transfer it to the very next scenario.

For the benefit of "everyone's" awareness .... 3 engine startup procedures are practiceable using the B737-300/400/500 panel hosted (not compiled) by HJG and which are as follows ....

1. Panel based fully manual procedure .... requiring fuel supply to be manually engaged at around N2 20%.

2. Panel based auto-start procedure .... which auto-re-engages the fuel supply at around N2 20%.

3. Default MSFS (2004 and FSX) keyboard induced auto-start procedure .... which also auto-re-engages the fuel supply during engine startup.

Using the current HJG hosted FS2004 native panel (can't vouch for other/alternative non-HJG supplied panels though) each of the above 3 procedures work fine .... if correctly applied .... both on the ground and in the air anywhere, and at any time, within FS .... in fact they can't not work as such.

I wanted to stay clear of the HJG forum, as I know I would have probably gotten a detailed explanation from Mark C (aerofoto] stating why they make their aircraft the way they do! Sorry, I don't need the reasoning behind it, I just would like some options.

:) It's called "providing a service" .... something the HJG team do "thoroughly and voluntarily" at considerable imposition upon their own personal time in order to try'n advise or correct people in need .... the purpose of which is ultimately intended to aid more than whom ever care to ask any question and from which others might also prospectively benefit ;)

MRC

Okay, here's two pics. I'd rather not have to do this, but the HJG aircraft is well worth the effort!

In this pic, circled item shows autostart in off position waiting for a start command. Click on the pic for a better image of the annunciator indicator in off position.

2021-1-18_20-3-1-135.jpg

In this pic, circled item shows after I clicked on autostart and the annunciator light is on showing the start has begun. Click on the pic for a better image of the annuciator indicator illuminated.

2021-1-18_20-4-4-822.jpg

None of this happens at the default airport. You open the aircraft, engines are running! I cannot blame the panel as I tried several other panels, same event, just a little more complex getting the engines started. The autostart switch definitely helps the situation!

For now, at least I know what the aircraft is wanting and it won't be that be a deal!:rolleyes:

Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

I'm pleased he's gone to the trouble of doing this .... because his doing so now confirms the panel he's using "IS NOT" the version hosted/recommended by HJG :)

Although he states using HJG supplied B737 simulations I acknowledge he "DOES NOT" actually state using the panel hosted/recommended by the group, however, such couldn't be definitively ascertained from either of his earlier postings.

As will be verified per imagery featured within the following-linked forum based manual for the HJG supplied B733/4/5 simulations ....

https://tonymadgehjg.proboards.com/thread/8798/b737-300-installation-handling-notes

.... "THIS" .... is the panel version hosted/offered/recommended by HJG ....

sDAS1dq.jpg

qqjumwO.jpg

And .... "THIS" is the OH sub panel portion (part of the MP view) of that panel and with it's AUTO-ENGINE START feature hilited accordingly ....

AYA63ex.jpg

Comparing the above imagery with his own it's evident both panels are "quite different".

Some might wonder .... surely one can use any alternative add-on panel with any other simulation. The answer to which is both "YES" .... and "NO" .... because although "can" be done in "some cases" and without incurring problems in other cases such can't be done without incurring issues of various magnitudes.

The reason for this's because "some" panels are dependent upon certain FDE elements associated with some simulations .... and if such elements (standard or not) are lacking then issues may arise that require alternative/customized procedures being employed.

Whilst the B737 FDE offered by HJG is VL in origin .... it's also been significantly recompiled/"improved" too .... and which may (I don't say it will though) result in certain features of "some" non-HJG sanctioned panels possibly not functioning. Whether or not such applies to this particular other/non-HJG panel isn't known though .... simply because HJG didn't compile it, but, it does seem, from the evidenced provided, that such might be the case.

Using the groups recommended (mostly customized) panels with HJG simulations will/should result in no issues arising at all (provided they're they're installed used correctly to start with) .... but .... if alternative panel options are employed then such can't be guaranteed .... or supported by HJG.

I don't know which panel he's using .... BUT .... I'll hazard a guess and say his use of my earlier "suggested" SHIFT+CTRL+F4 (I think it is) keyboard commands, in order to engage the fuel system prior to manual engine startup, may well resolve his apparent manual engine startup issue ... both anytime , and anywhere, within FS.

It's evident HJG can't assist with this query simply because the panel concerned isn't one of the groups own productions/offerings .... SO .... unless any HJG specific queries are forthcoming here, or in need of being replied to, I may not add anything further to this thread.

MRC

For what it's worth there are certain switches in default and add-on aircrafts that will not remain at that position even if you save it cold and dark. One switch set to off and then saved may itself move to on the next time you start up. It seems to be a FSX limitation for some switches. For aircraft that refuse to start with the engine off even when you try to save it as default with everything off, the best solution would be to hit Ctrl+Shift+1 after it loads to cut off the fuel and thus the engine. I use the mixture axis on my yoke for that purpose.

Quote - It's evident HJG can't assist with this query simply because the panel concerned isn't one of the groups own productions/offerings .... SO .... unless any HJG specific queries are forthcoming here, or in need of being replied to, I may not add anything further to this thread.

MRC

Mark (aerofoto) - I didn't ask for YOUR help nor HJG's help in this but I got you anyway! Somebody out there might benefit from your efforts on this, but for me, there isn't a problem anymore, I have deleted both HJG aircraft and I am moving on. So much for trying to download older aircraft!

Rick