Still getting terrible stuttering in the Los Angeles metropolitan area

I read your post last night, felt your pain. Although I fly in SoCal on Pilot Edge, I haven't flown around L.A., not in this sim anyway. So I took the JF PA-28 out of LAX, touch & go at Burbank and back again, as low as 1,500 over downtown. I had only occasional minor stutters as I would expect anywhere, nothing like you describe. It was fun.

I'm no expert but you are right to crank down some of your high settings: Terrain Level of Detail 100, Texture Super Sampling 4x4 or off, 16 GB Rolling Cache is enough they say, I'm using 32.

Overkill has a couple of good tutorials on performance and in particular stuttering.

He shows how to override Full Screen Optimizations, a big frame killer in games, he says, and High DPI Scaling in Windows 10. He doesn't tell you how to unlock those files though. I used an app called "Take Ownership". It was easy from there.

I also recommend the RD Presets Guide. They explain the settings and how to maximize performance. As a bonus they show how to tweak the look of the sim with GeForce Experience Freestyle in overlay, like using a photo editor. For me that alone was worth the price of admission.

I hope this helps.

Edited by stephinder

Taking off from Van Nuys 16R, I always freeze right over Sepulveda Dam....The freeze lasts about 3 to 4 seconds and then stops and I am able to continue. I have tried to tweak settings within and outside MSFS to no avail.

Paul

I'm wondering if these stutters will be solve if I switch M2 slots for my SSD's in my PC or if I just remove my 250GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus and just install everything on my 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus but make a dedicated 250GB partition for Windows/basic apps and the rest partitioned for games and data storage. Right now my 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus is installed on the bottom M2 slot which is the slot that uses the chipset lanes and my 250GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus is installed on the upper M2 slot which uses the CPU lanes. The 250GB SSD is just for the OS and basic apps and my 2TB SSD is for games including FS2020, and basic data storage. So will the reduced latency of utilizing the CPU lanes instead of the chipset lanes solve this stuttering? Do any of you that are getting these stutters as well, do you have an NVMe SSD (which FS2020 is installed on) installed on the top M2 (CPU lanes) or bottom M2 slot (chipset lanes)? Those that are not getting these stutters, same question. I have an Asus B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi) motherboard and both M2 slots are PCI-E 3.0 but the upper one uses the CPU lanes therefore the upper M2 slot has less latency than the lower M2 slot on this motherboard. Edited by Dave68

Nothing you do will "fix" it. It stems from an anomaly in the Bing database. Every MSFS2020 user experiences the same stuttering at those locations..
i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

I just did a test flight out of LAX in the SR22, making a loop about 50-60 miles around the area, and had only an occasional stutter, no different from what I experience in other places in the U.S. and U.K. Mostly smooth. Settings are mostly ultra. Sorry about those who are having problems; I have no explanation, just reporting.

I just did a test flight out of LAX in the SR22, making a loop about 50-60 miles around the area, and had only an occasional stutter, no different from what I experience in other places in the U.S. and U.K. Mostly smooth. Settings are mostly ultra. Sorry about those who are having problems; I have no explanation, just reporting.
Take off from Ontario International Airport and fly west, stay south of 10. You'll experience it between Pomona and El Monte. It's not everywhere, only in spot locations. I don't normally fly around LA, I just went there to see for myself; it's real.
i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

The exact location for max stuttering is right above Workman High School's Soccer field. (16303 Temple Ave City of Industry)

When I takeoff from LAX rwy 7L, flying at a 70 degree direction and I level off at 3000', the stutters start at around 2-3 miles west of the Los Angeles river for me. This stutterfest keeps going until I'm around parallel to ONT.

Take off from Ontario International Airport and fly west, stay south of 10. You'll experience it between Pomona and El Monte. It's not everywhere, only in spot locations. I don't normally fly around LA, I just went there to see for myself; it's real.

I just flew this course in a C172, and did have one noticeable hiccup(1-2 sec) near El Monte. Otherwise smooth, locked at 30 FPS. This is with the latest update 1.15.7.0 installed.

I just flew this course in a C172, and did have one noticeable hiccup(1-2 sec) near El Monte. Otherwise smooth, locked at 30 FPS. This is with the latest update 1.15.7.0 installed.

It does it for me no matter which aircraft I fly it still happens. Also everything on lowest settings except keeping resolution at 1920x1080, it still stutters in that area in my system, only then the stutters are greatly reduced in both frequency and duration, but they are still there. Even with Game Mode turned off it still happens. Is it possible that the chipset latency from connection to the NVMe SSD in my system is being a bottleneck in that area of Los Angeles, since I'm using the lower M2 slot for the NVMe SSD that is storing my games and data? It did this on my SATA SSD drive as well as I mentioned before and SATA goes through the chipset as well. What motherboard and CPU are you using and are you using a SATA SSD or an NVMe SSD. If you installed FS2020 on an NVMe SSD, is it inserted in the upper M2 or lower M2 slot? Just trying to find out if there is some kind of bottleneck in my system that is responsible for the stuttering in that area.

Here's my system configuration:

Ryzen 5800x

Asus B550-F Gaming Strix (Wi-Fi)

GTX 1080 Ti

32GB DDR-3200

2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe (Data/Games)

250GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe (Windows 10)

Seasonic Focus GX 850 Power Supply

Edited by Dave68

• 1 month later...
Well a few days ago I installed the latest update to FS2020. I still get the stuttering at the exact same locations in Los Angeles. Also recently my internet got a free upgrade to 100 mbps download speed and that did not get rid of that stuttering. It's just as bad as before the internet speed upgrade. I wonder if upgrading to a 3080 Ti will get rid of it even if it doesn't I still plan to get one if I can get one at no higher than MSRP price as I plan to upgrade to a 4k TV later this year.

Different location, but similar issue. Flying west out of LKTB then NW over the city of Brno in the Czech Republic, I did get some stuttering in both the Robin and the A320. Everywhere else, no problem and a very smooth flight. I wonder if this is associated with the effort to reduce the program size?
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

After the last patch, I took a flight over Jacksonville in my Jax Tour flightplan. Never had any trouble with stutters in Jacksonville, but I got them as I was flying west over downtown Jax, went from 30 FPS to 5 FPS, about 30 seconds later, cleared up.
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

• 2 weeks later...

I have been dealing with this stuttering (or what I call intermittent pausing) since the Japan update. I have tried every solution Google can find and no luck. My test run to recreate this has always been departure from KLAX, or Compton Woodley (CPM), then fly 110 degrees to Long Beach (KLGB). After flying over or past KLGB, turn around and land on Runway 30. It goes from butter smooth to slideshow. I've run this test several times with results that rule out system hardware, as I've had on occasion no problems on Ultra settings, whist have major stutter on Low settings. But I'd say 90% of the time there is intermittent pausing that gets very progressively worse upon landing.

i7 7700K

GTX 1080ti

32GB Corsair Dominator Ram

1TB SSD Samsung 850 EVO

• 1 month later...
Now that MSFS has been released for XBox One Series X and S, I wonder if it runs without stutters in those areas in the Los Angeles that I experienced the terrible stuttering with my PC. The XBox One Series X has a more powerful GPU than a GTX 1080 Ti which is what I have plus it most likely has been optimized for XBox One Series X and S consoles and despite the CPU being slower than a Ryzen 5800x, after optimizations I'm guessing that it should be around 5800x performance the the XBox One Series X in terms of CPU and 3070 performance in terms of GPU and less stutters? Anyone here play it on both with a PC with a Ryzen 5600X-5900X with an RTX 3070-3080 and an XBox One Series X and on which system did it play smoother?

The latest update that was released a few days ago solved the terrible stuttering I had in the Los Angeles area. In fact it seems the sim is running smoother everywhere else as well on my system than before this update and now I'm getting higher frame rates as well in the sim, for example at a certain airport I was getting 49 fps before the update and now I'm getting 74 fps at the same airport with the same aircraft. However, one issue that I'm now have is that when I pan vertically using the hat switch on my Logitech 3D Extreme joystick, when the viewpoint centers on the yoke, the panning hitches for like a millisecond while I'm sitting at the runway, but during flight, that hitch is gone. It does not seem to matter the aircraft I use or airport I'm at when this happens. Anyone else having this issue? I also moved my 2TB NVMe to the top M.2 slot of my motherboard which uses the CPU lanes instead of the chipset lanes for less latency even though it's a PCI-E 3.0 NVMe, so I'm not sure how much of a role that played in the smoothness of the sim as I reinstalled Windows 10 and MSFS after moving my 2TB NVMe to the top M.2 slot. Before I had my 2TB NVMe on the bottom m.2 slot which uses the chipset lane and had my 250GB NVMe for just the OS and basic programs on the top M.2 slot, now I have the OS and games include MSFS installed on the 2TB NVMe and decided to ditch my 250GB NVMe. Edited by Dave68