Still getting terrible stuttering in the Los Angeles metropolitan area

I recently upgrade from an i7-4930k, 32GB DDR3-1600 system to a Ryzen 5800x, 32GB DDR4-3200 system and I'm still getting terrible stuttering while flying over the Los Angeles metropolitan area. The stuttering is several pauses of 2-3 seconds long along with milder stuttering. When there is no stuttering, the frame rates are fine. Also with these pause-stutters I'm getting 2-3 second input lag, until everything is smooth again. Also the scenery will get blurry for about a second sometimes during these pauses. If I disable photogrammetry scenery, then these pauses don't happen but the less severe sutters still happen but then I get generic scenery and textures, and I find this as an unacceptable workaround because in my opinion one of the main attractions of this game is the photogrammertry scenery during a VFR flight. I did get a good increase in frame rates since upgrading to a faster PC recently. Frame rates went from about 22 fps before the upgrade to about 53 fps (at the same spot which I chose as Vancouver International Airport, RWY 8R, inside the 747) after the upgrade. Also I'm on a 45 mbps downstream plan (effectively 50 mbps measured from Speedtest.net). I have Flight Simulator installed on a Samsung 850 EVO 2TB SSD. My GPU is a GTX 1080 Ti. Those are the only components I transferred to the new system from the old system. Is there a bottleneck somewhere in my new system that is causing these stutters/pauses that were also present on my old system? Edited by Dave68

Maybe you could try locking your frame rate at 30. I always get some studdering that's barely detectable, but is annoying. I have a good computer running 1080p high settings. I wonder if anyone gets no studdering at all.

Just curious, are you running the sim graphics at Medium, High, Ultra? And what resolution?

I only ask as I'm lead to believe the GPU and internet speed is more important than the CPU for MSFS. I could of course easily be mistaken.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Maybe you could try locking your frame rate at 30. I always get some studdering that's barely detectable, but is annoying. I have a good computer running 1080p high settings. I wonder if anyone gets no studdering at all.

I disabled vsync just to get an accurate test result when comparing before and after the upgrade but I actually play the game with the frame rate locked at 30 set through the Nvidia Control Panel otherwise using the Developer Menu's FPS Display it would have read 22 before the upgrade and 30 after the upgrade instead of 53 after the upgrade if I limited to 30 during the test.

Edited by Dave68

Just curious, are you running the sim graphics at Medium, High, Ultra? And what resolution?

I only ask as I'm lead to believe the GPU and internet speed is more important than the CPU for MSFS. I could of course easily be mistaken.

Ultra settings and 1920x1080. However, I have AI aircraft traffic and airport ground ambient traffic turned off. Actual frame rates more than doubled for me with this system upgrade and still using the same video card and internet speed. Maybe 50 mbps download speed is not enough for Ultra settings without stuttering? I don't think my 1080 Ti is a bottleneck at 1920x1080 in this game as I was reading benchmark chart in an article online comparing CPU's and GPU's in this game and it showed the 1080 Ti close to the 2080 Ti at 1920x1080, but at 4k in this game the difference between those 2 GPUs was huge, but I'm not playing this game at 4k as I don't have a 4k monitor.

Have you tried lowering to High to see if that eliminates the stuttering?

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Hi Dave, what have you got “render scaling” set to?

I don’t go over 100 with my 2080ti (& even less in VR mode)

You might want to experiment with it. Personally I’d look into upgrading the GPU (& also making sure my PSU is up to the new GPU)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I’d look into upgrading the GPU
The way he describes his problem it sounds as if there is something beyond the "normal" stutter happening (stalling for 2-3 seconds); he also indicates that he is also getting the more common stuttering that is a result of the system or GPU not keeping up with the sim.

With a fast CPU, a 1080ti will render video with only occasional stutter with the settings all at high or ultra, so I don't think the 1080ti is the cause of his 2-3 second pauses, unless his graphics card is defective, (which it might be).

Dave, do you have your 1080ti overclocked? If you do, you might try backing that off.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

The way he describes his problem it sounds as if there is something beyond the "normal" stutter happening (stalling for 2-3 seconds); he also indicates that he is also getting the more common stuttering that is a result of the system or GPU not keeping up with the sim.

With a fast CPU, a 1080ti will render video with only occasional stutter with the settings all at high or ultra, so I don't think the 1080ti is the cause of his 2-3 second pauses, unless his graphics card is defective, (which it might be).

Dave, do you have your 1080ti overclocked? If you do, you might try backing that off.

I did not overclock my GPU. However, it's an EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition, which is a factory-overclocked card, so I see no reason to "underclock" it. Even if I "underclocked" it to the standard reference clock, and it did not solve those pauses, it could still be because of a defective GPU, and if it did fix the issue then the GPU is definitely defective since it won't run stable at it's factory advertised clocks. I"m also using a Seasonic Focus GX-850 power supply currently. In my old system I was using a CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 800W power supply and had the same issue.

If you were to underclock your card 5% or 10%, an amount that would not be noticeable, and it fixed the 2-3 second hangs, I wouldn't call the card defective unless it triggered some warranty clause and gained me a new card. I'd be happy I solved the problem.

Let us know what the fix for your problem turns out to be, so we all can learn from it.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Dave, is there a possibility your ISP is reducing your data rate after a certain data usage?

Also, you don't have a data limit set in the MSFS settings do you?

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

If you were to underclock your card 5% or 10%, an amount that would not be noticeable, and it fixed the 2-3 second hangs, I wouldn't call the card defective unless it triggered some warranty clause and gained me a new card. I'd be happy I solved the problem.

Let us know what the fix for your problem turns out to be, so we all can learn from it.

I set a -200MHz offset on the GPU clock and it still is doing those pauses while flying of the LA metropolitan area and the other stuttering is still there. The pauses start happening once I'm about 3 miles south of downtown LA, continuing flying eastward. I took off from KLAX RWY 25R on the Carenado CT182T and my destination was KONT. Cruise level was 5000'.

For a long shot idea, clear your cache, under the theory that the data representing that part of the LA area has gotten scrambled and is being replayed every time you do that flight. This assumes that you aren't plagued with these stutters over built up areas everywhere.

Other than that, this does seem to most likely be a GPU problem and unless you just bid on another 1080ti on Ebay, it'll cost you $800.00 to find out if it is the GPU.

Such is life.

For a long shot idea, clear your cache, under the theory that the data representing that part of the LA area has gotten scrambled and is being replayed every time you do that flight. This assumes that you aren't plagued with these stutters over built up areas everywhere.

Other than that, this does seem to most likely be a GPU problem and unless you just bid on another 1080ti on Ebay, it'll cost you $800.00 to find out if it is the GPU.

Such is life.

I don't use a rolling cache and I disabled and deleted the rolling cache file after installing the game.

I had a similar problem but it was constant.

How a solved. It was a software from msi that suppose to improve internet speed.

Wen I connect the pc to the router of ISP and tested all speeds are fine.

Wen I connect to my UDM from UniFi the speed wasn’t fine. Both downloads an upload at half speed.

Then I see the process and fine the software that was killing me.

I update the drivers of my network card and removed this software.

Try to find any software that you don’t need or know on windows and remove it.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same issue as you - no FPS issue but in the LA metro area and LOWW I get the same insane stutters. Nothing overclocked...Ryzen 3700X 2070 Super - again, normal fps, most settings on high, some medium, some ultra, render scale 100

I replaced my Samsung 2TB 850 EVO SSD with a Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus SSD and still no improvement in the stutters, especially those 2-4 second hitches while flying over that area in LA. I lowered the Texture Supersampling from 6x6 to 4x4. Objects Level of Detail from 200 to 100. Anti-Aliasing from TAA to FXAA. Terrain Level of Detail from 200 to 100. Shadow Maps from 2048 to 1024. Also no improvement in the stutters turning down those graphics settings. Once I'm crossing south in parallel of Ontario International Airport, those 2-4 second random hitches subside and the regular random stuttering stays. Also it happens when flying towards Bob Hope Airport as I get near downtown LA. Here's my system configuration:

Ryzen 7 5800x

32GB DDR4-3200 Crucial Ballistix Gaming

Asus B550-F Strix (Wi-Fi) motherboard

EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black

250GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus (OS)

2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus (Games/Data)

Windows 10 Pro

Edited by Dave68

I just experienced some of it too.

South of 10 north of the Pomona fwy around Azusa.

West of there it seems OK.

There must be a glitch in the Bing database.

I just experienced some of it too.

South of 10 north of the Pomona fwy around Azusa.

West of there it seems OK.

There must be a glitch in the Bing database.

I've not re-read all the responses, but has it been flown with the Bing Map turned off? If it goes away then, and comes back with them on, things will have been narrowed down.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I've not re-read all the responses, but has it been flown with the Bing Map turned off? If it goes away then, and comes back with them on, things will have been narrowed down.

I took the same flight around the L.A. basin to see if it did any stuttering and I did experience some.

the long pauses seem to be the sim loading distant scenery since that area has a lot of buildings

try lowering the terrain level of detail it stopped the long pauses for me and it didn't look that bad.

My system is a Ryzen 9 3900x with a RX 5700 graphic card Memory DDR4 3600mhz.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz /Graphics: Red devil RX6800XT 16GB /MB: X570 Gaming WiFi / ram: 32GB@3600 MHz /500GB M.2 Drive /1TB SSD /3-Asus 27" Displays.

Three of my four CTD's happened in the LA area. One of them was after 6 hours of flying other places, and then changing the time and weather 4 times on approach to LAX, so I'll own that one. That one had lots of stutters before the crash.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

Has anyone brought this to the Zen desk?

They would have no way to know about it unless locals tell them about it.

• 2 months later...
With the most recent update as of this date I'm still getting the same stutters in that certain area in Los Angeles. In fact now I'm noticing the same stutters even with photogrammetry scenery disabled and just using the generic scenery whereas I it did not happen on my system before that update when photogrammetry scenery was disabled. Turning down the texture detail setting from 200 to 20 got rid of most of those stutters but it still has those stutters, the pauses just don't last as long in that area of Los Angeles and it look much worse at the 20 than 200 in my opinion. I thought that this update was suppose to fix stuttering issue but it mentioned it was for the DFW area and nothing mentioned for the LA area. My system is not running out of free VRAM as check with the Developer Menu turned on, not even close to the VRAM capacity of my video card when those stutters happen, so it's not a lack of VRAM issue with my system. It's SSD speed either as I used to have this game installed on my Samsung 850 EVO SSD and moved it to my Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD and those stutters did not seem to shorten from that upgrade. Is FS2020 too much for the Directx 11 API to handle, especially in that area in Los Angeles. I'm no computer engineer, but I read that Directx has a huge limitation in draw calls compared to direct hardware accessing and I'm wondering if there are not enough draw calls sent from the API when this stuttering happens in that area in Los Angeles. I also have X-Plane 11 and ever since the 11.50 update that has the Vulkan option, X-Plane 11 has been running much smoother on my system, hardly a stutter on my system at the airports where I experienced the stuttering before the 11.50 update, and I'm wondering if the DirectX 11 API limitation has been reached with FS2020. Do you think it has or do you know if it has? I also set my rolling cache to 400GB on a 500GB Samsung 860 EVO that has nothing else on it, no difference, even the second time I flew over that area with that 400GB rolling cache. Edited by Dave68

I was flying out there last week and experienced the same stutters and frame rate drops as the OP around Los Angeles. Very noticible taking off out of John Wayne Airport and for awhile headed north out of there.

System is a Ryzen 5900X CPU, RTX 3080 GPU, 32 G of DDR4 3200 Mh RAM, Samsung® 970 Pro PCIe 3.0 SSD, 100 Mbs internet connection. Internet has consistantly good performance.

Like Dave68 said a couple messages up I believe its remnants of the performance issues Asobo introduced with the last big updates that weren't fixed with the hot fix they released.