Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elevator Sensitivity

Default Elevator Sensitivity

I find that with most all of my aircraft in my hangar, jet and piston powered, when I reach VR and pull back on my Yoke, some of my aircraft react instantly launching into the air and others react very slowly and smoothly, with the same amount of movement on the Yoke. I would like to know what section and what parameters in the aircraft or air file folders control this differing sensitivity, or is it a combination of factors?

Thanks
    HP Omen Obelisk, i7 9700K 3.6 Base to 4.9 Turbo Boost, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB, 32GB HyperX 2666 DDR4 RAM. 1TB 7200 SATA HD, 1TB Western Digital M.2 NvME SSD, 750W PS. Let's fly!

I'd start by playing with the [flight_tuning] section in the aircraft.cfg, but I'd check a LOT more than just how it works at rotation, being sure that the elevator still is sufficiently effective to keep the nose up in the flare and for all other flight regimes, as well. I'd also (very, very carefully) check out the [weight_and_balance] section and the [contact_points] section. And by all means, save a copy of the original file before starting to mess with things.

Do one thing at a time, then test it thoroughly before proceeding, keeping in mind that sometimes one thing affects more than it's labeled for, or at least interacts with other things in ways you may not expect. Flight tuning (beyond minor adjustments in the [flight_tuning] section) is something usually needing a lot of experimentation and trial and error, usually quite time consuming.

The other place you might find something to change (be very careful) is the 1101 section of the .air file for the aircraft, using AirEd.

It also occurs to me that your phrase "pull back on my Yoke" may indicate something more than just adding back pressure and waiting for the aircraft to lift off -- if so, being a touch ham-fisted can be a problem in its own right, since smooth operation of controls makes a difference.
    Last edited by lnuss; 01-10-2021 at 04:06 PM.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

It will also depend on the aircraft, be it default or 3rd party addon. Most, if not all, TDS aircraft will require a good amount of elevator trim to be able to takeoff. I have heard stories about TDS aircraft going down the runway at 250 knots and still won't get airborne!
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

No flight Sim installed until I get a new computer.

Thanks Inuss and Mr. Zippy for your input. As an example referencing my post, I find that the default A321 lifts off at VR with a tail strike in mind. It doesn't strike but comes awfully close. As opposed to a Project Airbus A320 (yes it is a bit shorter in length and weighs a bit less than the A321) which lifts off very smoothly with a nice flare. Obviously some huge differences in the flight dynamics between the aircrafts. I am going to start by swapping the flight tuning sections from the PA to the default understanding that weight and balance are not the same between the aircrafts. It should be an interesting experiment.
    HP Omen Obelisk, i7 9700K 3.6 Base to 4.9 Turbo Boost, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB, 32GB HyperX 2666 DDR4 RAM. 1TB 7200 SATA HD, 1TB Western Digital M.2 NvME SSD, 750W PS. Let's fly!

G'day miatamariner, The best way to make control sensitivity changes is to install Pete Dowson's FSUIPC4 software for FSX. This will allow customizing controls for every different aircraft in your hanger and it remembers your settings for each aircraft! It provides many other additional capabilities re control assignments for specific aircraft, far better than default MSFSX - it's been a game changer for me. Check it out! Best wishes, Max

I am going to start by swapping the flight tuning sections from the PA to the default
    As you may have discovered by now, that could cause as many (or more) problems as you had to start with, so extreme care is needed, and save a copy of the original.

I find that the default A321 lifts off at VR with a tail strike in mind
    Just a suggestion: VR as an abbreviation has several meanings, so when you mean rotation speed, using Vr instead (Vr even better) would make it instantly clear which meaning you were abbreviating. Thanks...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    As you may have discovered by now, that could cause as many (or more) problems as you had to start with, so extreme care is needed, and save a copy of the original.

I made a change to "pitch_stability" from 1.0 to 1.5 and it seemed to have a positive effect at liftoff, not making the radical notchy nose up movement that I experienced at the 1.0 setting. Now, I am a complete novice as to flight dynamics and understand that I could be all wet with my observation, but to keep the scenario as neutral as possible, I made a mark on the shaft of my Yoke as a reference point not to be exceeded at liftoff. This is a complete learning experience for me so set me straight on whether the change from 1.0 to 1.5 would have either a positive, negative or no effect on what I had initially observed.

Just a suggestion: VR as an abbreviation has several meanings, so when you mean rotation speed, using Vr instead (Vr even better) would make it instantly clear which meaning you were abbreviating. Thanks...
    OK, my reference to Vr would by V as you described. It is the speed that Rob Barengredt's VSpeed4 gauge is listed as Vr on the gauge.

Thanks

I don't think I had ever even come close to a tail strike with the default A-321. Sounds like you are yanking on that yoke a bit too hard!

(yoke yanker)?? Smooth and gentle yanking will get you off much easier! Where's my mind roaming to these days??

A suggestion:

Smooth and gentle yanking will get you off much easier! Where's my mind roaming to these days??
    I would prefer:

Smooth and gentle pressure will get you off much easier! Where's my mind roaming to these days??
    as being more accurate in expressing what's needed.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    A suggestion:

I would prefer:

as being more accurate in expressing what's needed.
    Sounds good to me! Maybe a rusty yoke?? A little lubricant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast