Bare metal

I think it looks amazing!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

Well done. I know someone that really likes bare metal! :pilot: Ain't that right Rick? :)

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very nice indeed; but, to quibble, it looks like shiny grey metal, not like polished aluminum. I may have to stake out a certain expert witness status here - I have flown polished metal airplanes since 1977, and since 1996 I have polished the darn things, so I know whereof I speak!

Polished metal is perhaps the most difficult "look" to achieve in flight simulation. Later improvements in rendering have made it somewhat better, but at a cost - things tend to look like the "chrome" parts of model cars I played with as a youth in the 50's and 60's. Put another way, things look like the silver surfer character in the Marvel movie! This is most certainly not what polished aluminum airplanes look like, possibly excepting a top notch show plane at Oshkosh.

So far, the best representations of, say, an American Airlines jet seem to make some use of photos of the real surfaces in the skinning process. What these airplanes do NOT look like is a mirror, with coherent reflections of the surrounding world. Mostly this is because not more than a day out of the polishing shop, they begin to look more and more like an old lawn chair, and airlines jets, at least, are only polished around once a year. Of course, for AA this is all moot since they went to paint.

If you could find a way to get the basic color more toward silver than grey, your terrific effort here would probably look more like a natural metal airplane. As it is, the overall hue is just a bit off in most, but not all, of your shots. All in all, though, a really fine piece of work!

I don't think Jan Kees ever represented his aircraft as "high polished" metal, but merely bare metal. As with all his paints and re-paints, he has done an excellent with this aircraft! JMHO!

He has just recently submitted a subsequent post named "MORE METAL" and that aircraft is definitely "high polished metal!" You could probably shave with that finish, for sure!

Good job Jan!

Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

thank you, Rick and avallillo!

I might add that I am actually quite colorblind, so small nuances like grey or silver tend to escape me.

I've also noticed that the weather also plays a big role in the reflectivity and color of a paintjob, more clouds tend t make the aircraft shinier on many occasion.

But I'll see what I can do on my next Piaggio project:

50825488307_833fdb245f_h.jpgjk0446

Slapping paint on flightsim models

you'll find all my FSX/P3D repaints here and all my MSFS repaints here.