Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacement desktop for MSFS 2020

That looks like a pretty decent system. There is a guide for FSX at the top of the FSX forum here. Note that not everything in some of the older guides is applicable these days, especially when it comes to Windows. In fact, for the most part, I would suggest just leaving Windows itself alone.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryB View Post
    I am as yet undecided regarding downloading or buying the boxed version, but I am leaning to the boxed version at the moment.
    Forgot to mention previously that you will still need to download the updates that have come out since the sim was released, which at this point is going to be pretty much the same size as downloading the sim from scratch. The box edition at this point is best thought of as more of a collector's item for those that want to have something sitting on the shelf. It also requires you to keep the first disc in the drive while flying too.

Thank you Loki for your comments. I didn't realise that you had to keep the disc in whilst flying
    TerryB

Asus ROG STRIX B550, Ryzen 5800X, Gigabyte 3080 10GB, 16GB 3600DDR4, 2 x 500GB SSDs, 3TB HDD, Corsair 4000X case, 27" HP monitor

Quote Originally Posted by TerryB View Post
    Thank you Loki for your comments. I didn't realise that you had to keep the disc in whilst flying
    That caught a lot of people off guard when the disc version first came out. Rather unfortunate, and unneeded, choice of anti-piracy protection.

Blog Entries

the disk does not have to be in the drive.
    not with fsx.
    (that was only for an older version. )

a reason some love the disk edition of fsx is that it comes with the SDK (Software Development Kit) included.
    installing the FSX-SDK makes it possible to edit airports, create gauges, and even object and aircraft models. All for free.
    Great fun that!

Quote Originally Posted by il88pp View Post
    the disk does not have to be in the drive.
    not with fsx.
    (that was only for an older version. )
    For the disc version of MSFS, which is what was being referred to, the disc does need to be in the drive.
    Last edited by loki; 02-12-2021 at 05:43 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12